PDA

View Full Version : San Diego fails to deliver on promises for next year's Super Bowl

Pride
07-15-2002, 07:59 AM
San Diego fails to deliver on promises for next year's Super Bowl

July 14, 2002

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- San Diego is failing to deliver on a number of promises it made to the NFL for next year's Super Bowl. ADVERTISEMENT

The league will not get the number of usable seats it wanted, renovations to the visiting locker room or upgrades to the press box and audio/visual control room in time for the January game.

Jim Steeg, an NFL vice president, acknowledged that it is not uncommon for host cities to fail to live up to all of their commitments. But he said the difference between what San Diego promised and what it's delivering is wider than most.

``This is as big (a gap) as we've had in recent years,'' Steeg said.

The NFL has been pressing San Diego to fulfill its promises, saying they are ``critical to the NFL's commitment to have the Super Bowl in San Diego.''

Most important to league officials was the guarantee that there would be 70,000 acceptable seats.

Qualcomm Stadium has slightly more than 70,500 seats, but the NFL discounts the bottom seven rows because of obstructed views, eliminating more than 2,000 from the total.

Delays in construction of the San Diego Padres' downtown ballpark kept the baseball team playing in Qualcomm longer than expected, and workers could not get access to the stadium to add more seats, city officials said.

The city's bid specifies that the host committee will spend as much as $1.6 million to get to 70,000 acceptable seats. With that goal unattainable, the parties have agreed that the committee will just pay the NFL the $1.6 million to offset lost ticket revenue.

In addition, the San Diego Super Bowl XXXVII Host Committee still has not signed a contract binding them to the promises made when the city was bidding for the game. Officials with the NFL, the host committee and the city say former San Diego Mayor Susan Golding promised too much when the city bid for the game.

The city has spent $2.8 million on Super Bowl-related improvements at Qualcomm in recent years. The stadium's older seats have been replaced and the sound system has been upgraded.

Some $500,000 was spent making cosmetic fixes to the visiting team's locker room, which Steeg called ``one of the worst in the NFL.'' But that fell short of the $2.6 million major renovation promised by the city.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news/ap/20020714/ap-sandiego-superbowl.html

Ebenezer
07-15-2002, 08:11 AM
and they still have DF as their QB...sucks to be them!

BillsNYC
07-15-2002, 08:46 AM
and that fat slob as their gm..

Ebenezer
07-15-2002, 08:52 AM
you mean jabba the butt?

WG
07-15-2002, 09:13 AM
Yeah, that's what they're calling him in S.D. LOL

I wonder why! :D

S.D. may not have a team next year if they aren't careful. How ironic would that be, having a SB in a city w/o a team...? LOL

BillsNYC
07-15-2002, 09:14 AM
they have a team now? :D

WG
07-15-2002, 09:19 AM
Look out for that Flutie-to-Dwight $10M combo!!!

Rice-Montana LOOKOUT!!!

I can see them hooking up for 7, possibly even 800 yards and 5 or 6 TDs. At that pace, we're gonna have a tough time stopping them later in the year! Especially if Flutie throws like he did yesterday...

:lol:

WG
07-15-2002, 09:32 AM
Actually I shouldn't be too tough on Flutie. He set a career high last year w/ 3,464 yards and a whopping 15 TDs. That 15 will be a tough mark to break! He'll have to toss 1 TD per game on average. Whooowheee! He sure has his work cut out for him.

It's also a good thing that Flutie hit that furthest target for 36 points and his only decent toss in the read and recognition. Otherwise he would have been so dead last that it would have been completely embarassing. As it stands, he beat Brady out...

Final results: http://www.nfl.com/ce/feature/0,3783,5519016,00.html

SABURZFAN
07-16-2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by BillsNYC
and that fat slob as their gm..

can i still call him buthole:flush: on this board without getting banned?

Pride
07-16-2002, 07:12 AM
ooooof course saburz! And most of us will echo your words hehe

Rude American
07-16-2002, 12:38 PM
Of all the threads that have been moved, this one, which belongs in the NFL rival zone, remains in the main forum. Interesting. :D

Earthquake Enyart
07-16-2002, 12:40 PM
Just itchin to mod here, eh Rudy?

Rude American
07-16-2002, 12:41 PM
Nope. I'm retired. If I was a mod I couldn't harrass you like I am.

jerk.

:) lmao!!

Pride
07-17-2002, 11:55 AM
You are correct Rude!