PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills Playoff Hopes: Updated Dec 6

Canadian'eh!
12-05-2004, 11:31 PM
UPDATED for week 13 games! (and it's mostly good news!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/canadianeh/MCGEE.jpg

First the Bills (6-6) remaining games:

Dec 12 Cleveland
Dec 19 @Cincinnati
Dec 26 @San Francisco
Jan 2 Pittsburgh

We still NEED to win out. No ifs ands or buts about it. So we'll pretend we do.

The Competition:

San Diego Chargers (9-3)

Remaining games:

Dec 12 Tampa Bay
Dec 19 @Cleveland
Dec 26 @Indianapolis
Jan 2 Kansas City

Tie Breaker: San Diego, by virtue of the conference record.
Good News: They'll probably win their division so they won't be part of the equation. In fact, based on their big win over Denver today I’m just going to assume they can win another game and are in as division champs.
Bad News: If they do not win their division they are VERY likely to win a wildcard.

New York Jets (9-3)

Remaining games:

Dec 12 @Pittsburgh
Dec 19 Seattle
Dec 26 New England
Jan 2 @St. Louis

Tie Breaker: If division teams tie for a wildcard slot it reverse to division tiebreaker rules. Under those, (with a 1-1 head to head record) IF the Jets lose to New England on Dec 19, and finish at 10-6, we will own the tiebreaker based on common opponents records.. IF they beat NE ONLY, then they win the tiebreaker based on their 4-2 division record.
Good News: They have the hardest remaining schedule. They have 4 very tough games. We also hold the tiebreaker.
Bad News: They only need 1-2 wins and Pennington is healthy.

Baltimore Ravens (7-5)

Remaining games:

Dec 12 N.Y. Giants
Dec 19 @Indianapolis
Dec 26 @Pittsburgh
Jan 2 Miami

Tie Breaker: Baltimore, by virtue of their head to head win
Good News: 2 more loses will do it. They can't score, so we only need them to lose to Pitt and Indy. Jamal Lewis is still out. Thank the Bengals.
Bad News: Their D keeps them in games, and Pittsburgh has looked a bit shaky lately.

Denver Broncos (7-5)

Remaining games:

Dec 12 Miami
Dec 19 @Kansas City
Dec 25 @Tennessee
Jan 2 Indianapolis

Tie Breaker: Denver, they would be 1 game better in the conference at 10-6.
Good News: They lost to Oakland and San Diego, so if they lose to Indy we only need 1 upset (@KC?)
Bad News: They have a real tendency to come back strong after a bad game or 2 and it’s hard to find an upset in that group. Maybe Miami can play them tough and do us a favor (stop laughing).

Jacksonville Jaguars (6-6)

Remaining games:

Dec 12 Chicago
Dec 19 @Green Bay
Dec 26 Houston
Jan 2 @Oakland

Tie Breaker: Jacksonville, by virtue of their head to head win.
Good News: They have stumbled lately and they need to win 4/4. Their D is not as good as it had been to start the year. Thank Pittsburgh for making them 1 game away from being behind us.
Bad News: Their schedule is not all that bad.

Cincinnati Bengals (6-6)

Remaining games:

Dec 12 @New England
Dec 19 Buffalo
Dec 26 New York Giants
Jan 2 @Philadelphia

Tie Breaker: to be determined head to head Dec 19… but if we lose we’re out anyway.
Good News: look at that schedule. If they win out I’ll eat my lucky hat.
Bad News: they could end our playoff hopes. Too bad theirs are over next week.

So we own 1 tiebreaker and that means only 1 other team can go 10-6 besides us for us to get in. If only we could have those week 1 and 2 games back with this team. It'd be playoff fever in Buffalo. The biggest task right now is winning out. 1 game at a time boys. Just beat CLEVELAND on Sunday and we'll reassess things.

We need major help, and it's time to start cheering for Miami and Indianapolis. Also, we need to hope that either Pittsburgh or New England loses a game or 2 before the end of the season so that that week 17 game is meaningless to Pittsburgh (just be safe).

let me know if i misssed anything.

Dozerdog
12-05-2004, 11:35 PM
If the Jets beat NE, and lose to everyone else- and tie Buffalo at 10-6- they win the tiebreak- overall division record (Bills 3-3, Jets would be 4-2)- Befor eany other tiebreakers are used- you break the ties within the division first.

So if, for example, Buffalo, the Jets, and Denver all finish 10-6- you don't use the 3 way tiebreak. First, the Bills and Jets square off and the best team from the division goes head to head in the tiebreak with Denver.

Canadian'eh!
12-05-2004, 11:40 PM
If the Jets beat NE, and lose to everyone else- and tie Buffalo at 10-6- they win the tiebreak- overall division record (Bills 3-3, Jets would be 4-2)

oops.. i had it too complicated and confused myself. thanks.

Shiny Chicken
12-05-2004, 11:41 PM
I already posted about this :p:

Only one correction. The Jets division record is 3-2. Ours is alreadyy set at 3-3. The best we can do is tie their division record, hope they win only one out of their 4 remaining games and that hope that win is not against the Pats. The only other way to get ahead of the Jets is if they lose out.

Canadian'eh!
12-05-2004, 11:43 PM
I already posted about this :p:

Only one correction. The Jets division record is 3-2. Ours is alreadyy set at 3-3. The best we can do is tie their division record, hope they win only one out of their 4 remaining games and that hope that win is not against the Pats. The only other way to get ahead of the Jets is if they lose out.

thanks... i think i was thinking they were 2-3 instead of 3-2 in the divison. dylexia is my excuse. and for the record... i'll just hope the jets lose all 4 ;)