PDA

View Full Version : Some of you need to say sorry

Tatonka
12-06-2004, 07:46 AM
many of you jumped the gun on the "Mularkey is no better than Greg Williams" threads..

i have bashed a lot of players on the team.. i have bashed TD, as well.. but never once did i jump off of the Mularkey bandwagon.

I like the guy.. i like the way he handles himself.. and i do agree with TD on one thing for sure.. i think we got ourselves a good coach..

if we finish the season 8-8, 9-7, or 10-6, i think that is damn good for a rookie head coach.. and i like our prospects for him being around for the duration of his contract.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-06-2004, 07:55 AM
C'mon T, you know most Bills fans are "what have you done for me lately." A guy drops a pass, cut him. The team loses a game, the coach sucks. This can't be a suprise to anyone that follows this team. There is no patience in most Bills fans. Geez, last week one of the knuckleheads was saying that Lee Evans was a mistake. It is just the nature of the beast (to quote somone from the boards).

OpIv37
12-06-2004, 08:03 AM
C'mon T, you know most Bills fans are "what have you done for me lately." A guy drops a pass, cut him. The team loses a game, the coach sucks. This can't be a suprise to anyone that follows this team. There is no patience in most Bills fans. Geez, last week one of the knuckleheads was saying that Lee Evans was a mistake. It is just the nature of the beast (to quote somone from the boards).

I think you're right, but it's because we have long memories for bad plays and short memories for good ones. If Lee Evans has a bad game this coming Sunday, everyone will talk about the drops against NE instead of the two touchdowns against Miami.

And as far as the patience is concerned- after having a good team for most of a decade, we've had 4 straight seasons without going to the playoffs, and this year is very close to being the 5th.... the patience gets thin after a while.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-06-2004, 08:05 AM
I didn't say the Bills fan attitudes aren't justified, just that that is the way things are.

Tatonka
12-06-2004, 08:08 AM
i feel like i am critical of a lot of things.. but i dont believe i jump the gun on things.. i am critical of a 11 year vet at qb.. i am critical of a GM that has yet to get us a winning season in 3 years..

but i defended JP after his poor 6 minutes against NE.. when half the board was ready to announce that he was the next billy joe holbert.. and i am not going to say that mularkey is a horrible coach after 1 season.. hell.. i am not even hard on josh reed because i still think he will be decent one day.

rookies (players and coaches) all have to adjust..

EDS
12-06-2004, 08:09 AM
I like what Mularkey is doing. I also think that one if his strengths has been assembling a very good coaching staff, I really like the mix of experience and innovativeness.

Of course, some people would still prefer that the Bills dump Mularkey for Haslett in the offseason.

ryjam282
12-06-2004, 08:26 AM
Haslett? No way...Now that guy is terrible. I like Mularkey, I think he is adjusting very well to his job. I also love the fact that he some great seasoned vets on his coaching staff that he can go to with any questions cause they have seen it all.

Ebenezer
12-06-2004, 08:39 AM
I like what Mularkey is doing. I also think that one if his strengths has been assembling a very good coaching staff, I really like the mix of experience and innovativeness.

Of course, some people would still prefer that the Bills dump Mularkey for Haslett in the offseason.
why?? what has Haslett done to earn the job as Bills HC other than he played here 20 years ago. MM has the team winning. End of story.

EDS
12-06-2004, 08:44 AM
why?? what has Haslett done to earn the job as Bills HC other than he played here 20 years ago. MM has the team winning. End of story.

That is exactly the point. Believe me, I like Mularkey and think he will do great things in Buffalo. I only brought it up becase there was a post sometime in the past week or two in which several people expressed a preference for Haslett despite his lack of success in NO.

madness
12-06-2004, 08:45 AM
I admit I'm lazy for not looking it up but, what's the best records by a rookie head coach?

justasportsfan
12-06-2004, 08:49 AM
6-6 . Just like I said about TD, no sb, no apologies.

We haven't even beaten the Pats either.

Billz_fan
12-06-2004, 08:50 AM
I haven't done any Mularkey bashing however I am gonna hold off praise also.

I was totally happy with GW after the 8-8 season in 2001. Figured we work on the defense during the offseason and good to go. Then came the meltdown. No offense, bad decisions by the coach, incredible amounts of penaltys per game. I like many others was wrong.

I think all of our (i will include myself in this :D ) short sightedness is a trickle down effect from the leauge itself. Owners, GM's and the like are often just as short sighted as the fans. Just use the Parcells/Jerry Jones "who plays QB" episode as one of the most recent examples.

You've got to put your team and staff together and then you've got about a 5 year window at best before you deplete/lose the talent you just assembled and have to start over.

This team has some talent and MM seems like a great guy. How long does he have to get the job done ? Personally I think alot of his future/legacy will be decided on how the QB spot on this team plays out. Drew will always be Drew. How long does he stick with him ? When does he decide JP is ready to take over the team ? Or do the Bills continue to play Drew for the next couple years ? I don't know but I think this particular issue will make or break the Bills of the next 5 years. What if they can Drew and JP doesn't work out ? Or worse yet can't stay healthy.

Our current crop of rookies like Willis, Evans etc. will probably see there best years in the next 5. It's going to be interesting to see how it all plays out. I hope it plays out so that Mularkey ends ups with the Super Bowl trophy renamed after him when he's 60 :laughter:

Shiny Chicken
12-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Let me but it this way... I think GW actually had a better team in his 8-8 year... his second year than MM has this year, his first year, and MM will likely finish with a better record.

Dozerdog
12-06-2004, 09:49 AM
I admit I'm lazy for not looking it up but, what's the best records by a rookie head coach?

Siefert went something like 14-2 in 1990

Barry Switzer had a division championship as well with the cowboys 12-4

Jim Haslett went 10-6 his first year in NO

Buffalo's Joe Collier went 9-4-1 and lost the AFC championship game- (and first ever Super bowl trip) in 1966

Michael82
12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm so damn glad Buffalo didn't hire Tom Coughlin. what a moron! He basically threw the season away to go with the rookie and the rookie sucks. :snicker:

Michael82
12-06-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm so damn glad Buffalo didn't hire Tom Coughlin. what a moron! He basically threw the season away to go with the rookie and the rookie sucks. :snicker:
Oh and Dennis Green did the same thing. He gave up on Josh McCown too early and now the Cardinals are definitely done too.

Ebenezer
03-09-2007, 03:07 AM
many of you jumped the gun on the "Mularkey is no better than Greg Williams" threads..

i have bashed a lot of players on the team.. i have bashed TD, as well.. but never once did i jump off of the Mularkey bandwagon.

I like the guy.. i like the way he handles himself.. and i do agree with TD on one thing for sure.. i think we got ourselves a good coach..

if we finish the season 8-8, 9-7, or 10-6, i think that is damn good for a rookie head coach.. and i like our prospects for him being around for the duration of his contract.
ut-oh...sorry Tonk, I found this one while searching for somehting else I wrote about McGahee.

:couch:

mybills
03-09-2007, 06:02 AM
:rofl:

SquishDaFish
03-09-2007, 07:32 AM
:roflmao:

Michael82
03-09-2007, 09:45 AM
:laughing:

casdhf
03-09-2007, 10:14 AM