PDA

View Full Version : Detroit let the Bills score to get the ball back once-

Judge
11-19-2002, 08:10 AM
Does anyone else recall a home game in 1998 or 1999, when in the last 2 minutes of the game, with the Bills up by 1, and in control of the ball, Antowain Smith got the ball and burst through minimal defensive coverage for a 50+ yard TD run, galloping into the end zone?

That was the same game, I believe, that Bruce Smith tackled Barry Sanders for a safety.

Detroit got the ball back, and if I remember correctly put a drive together that made me nervous about tying the game up.

The Bills should remember this kind of stuff. It does happen.

lordofgun
11-19-2002, 10:33 AM
Good memory! It's not ridiculous! It seems like common sense to me. Who cares if your stats go down, it should be anything for the W.

The_Philster
11-19-2002, 03:26 PM
That was 1997

Mr. Miyagi
11-19-2002, 04:06 PM
What is the relevence here?

Judge
11-20-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by BillsFanStuckInWisc
What is the relevence here?

If you watched Sunday's game, you'd know!

casdhf
11-20-2002, 09:41 AM
It didn't work for the Packers in the Superbowl.

Judge
11-20-2002, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by casdhf

You gotta try though right? If you don't try to get the ball back, then you can't win.

Mr. Miyagi
11-20-2002, 11:23 AM
You're saying we should've let him score just to get the ball back, so we'd be down 8, try to score a TD and go for 2? Personally I probably wouldn't do that. Holmes was shut down by our D most of the game, so there was no reason to think (at that point) that we couldn't have forced a 3 and out.

But in hindsight, I guess we could've tried that.

lordofgun
11-20-2002, 11:46 AM
We couldn't have forced a 3-out. There was under 2 minutes left, and we had no timeouts. They were around our 30 yard line! That would have been the perfect time to let them score.

Judge
11-20-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanStuckInWisc
You're saying we should've let him score just to get the ball back, so we'd be down 8, try to score a TD and go for 2? Personally I probably wouldn't do that. Holmes was shut down by our D most of the game, so there was no reason to think (at that point) that we couldn't have forced a 3 and out.

But in hindsight, I guess we could've tried that.

Yeah, That was really the only thing left that could have been done. It could have at least given the Bills the ball back, IF KC didn't just run around and runout the clock.

Ingtar33
11-20-2002, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by casdhf

True it didn't work, but that’s because Holmgren made a mistake and forgot the time and timeouts left. I don't remember exactly the situation, however I remember that it was the WRONG time to do it. In fact Holmgren himself said (after the superbowl) that he screwed up and shouldn't have made that call, that he forgot (or lost track of) what the situation was. I guess the best of them can screw up too...