PDA

View Full Version : Robiskie loves Luke McCown

Tatonka
12-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Rookie quarterback Luke McCown played well enough against the defending Super Bowl champion Patriots to merit another look this week in Buffalo. Interim coach Terry Robiskie stopped short of naming him the starter Monday, but he appears to be leaning that way even though Jeff Garcia (sprained shoulder) is healthy enough to be kept off the injury report.

What's more, the Browns might have answered a big question heading into 2005: who's the starting quarterback?

"I wouldn't want to put a time frame on it, but he started [Sunday] and played extremely well for his first time out," Robiskie said. "If he started [Sunday], I would assume that he could start next week and he could start next year."

Robiskie hinted he'll continue to let McCown gain valuable experience for the future.

"If we can go out as a unit and do some things to help him, run the ball and catch some of the balls we dropped, I think he'll get better every week," he said.

Granted, McCown lost, 42-15, and threw two picks, but Robiskie put the performance in perspective.

"It was his first start in a regular season game, and it happened to be against the best football team in the world," Robiskie said. "Against that group, I've seen a lot of people go out and throw picks and miss their reads and have to pay for it. He did the same, but in the end, he made some wonderful plays."

McCown, playing with the fearlessness for which he was known in college, completed 20 of 34 attempts for 277 yards with two touchdowns. He finished with a respectable rating of 80.1.

For comparison's sake, Buffalo's Drew Bledsoe, who has started a Super Bowl, earned a 14.3 rating against the Patriots four games ago.

read more...

http://www.cleveland.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/sports/1102415789263090.xml

note the part that is in bold.. :rofl:

FTG
12-07-2004, 09:39 AM
tying to turn this into another Drew bashing thread I see :D

Iehoshua
12-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Those Drew Haters!
:rofl:

So is Garcia even healthy enough to go in reality? I'd expect to see a short leash on McCown...

Tatonka
12-07-2004, 10:06 AM
it is not a drew bashing thread.. it is a thread that is pointing out the play by mccoun was very good against a defense that made our qb look like a girlscout.. that is all i am saying..

this game is not a gimme.

The_Philster
12-07-2004, 03:12 PM
How much game film does Belichek have on Luke McCown again? :scratch:

parttimeplayer
12-07-2004, 04:44 PM
while i think that the bills will win on sunday but i do have a caution sign in my mind because i do believe anyone can have a good day against anybody . aj feely was not supossed to put up 300 yards on us. against the jets carter was not exactly controlled last year billy volik came in and lit us up

TigerJ
12-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Sheesh, PartTime, did you have to use all examples of enemy QBs who lit up the Bills. Now I'm worried. LOL

Albany,n.y.
12-07-2004, 05:17 PM
I hope Luke calls his brother after the game so they can tell each other how much it sucks to go against the Bills' D at the Ralph.

Ickybaluky
12-07-2004, 06:48 PM
McCown was somewhat impressive. He is a good athlete, moves well and has a live arm. He did a pretty good job against the Patriots, but he did throw a few up for grabs.

My biggest criticism of the kid is he seems very jumpy in the pocket. He takes off sideways at the first sign of pressure, which turns every play into a scramble drill.

MustWin
12-07-2004, 06:53 PM
This is great news lets tear him apart!!! 1 pick!!! 2 picks!!! 3 picks!!!!! 4 picks!!!! 5 picks!!!!! :dance: