PDA

View Full Version : Bills DENY Notre Dame interest in Tom Clements

Michael82
12-07-2004, 02:14 PM
VCOACH BULLETIN:

Despite media speculation, Bills offensive coordinator Tom Clements has not been contacted by Notre Dame about their head coaching position.

Jayhawk
12-07-2004, 02:45 PM
yeah instead they contacted the head coach at my alma matter. :lol:

Michael82
12-07-2004, 02:51 PM
yeah instead they contacted the head coach at my alma matter. :lol:
:rofl:

Mudflap1
12-07-2004, 02:52 PM
I don't think Tom Clements would be a good fit for Notre Dame at this time. I think Tom should stick where he is and develop more of a track record as an offensive coordinator, a position that gains him a lot more responsibility than QB coach, before he takes a mammoth opportunity, but even more mammoth-like pressure at someplace such as Notre Dame being a head coach.

IMO, Notre Dame is really starting to give themselves a black eye. They used to be, and still are in some respects, the premiere college football university, but recent years has their records in mediocrity, their recruiting is down, and other colleges such as Florida, USC, Texas, FSU, Miami, etc. are seen as about the same in terms of prestige, etc. If you were a player or a coach, what would stop you from going to one of those other universities that have lower standards for academics, the same or more money, and the same, or more likely, less pressure? Notre Dame needs to lighten up on the chokehold they have on their coaches that they hire, and understand that if they take a Ty Willingham, Tom Clements, or a Bob Davie, they are taking someone that is not a premiere coach, they are more of 'up and comers' or 'projects' and need more time to make it happen (Davie had time, Willingham had a much shorter leash). If they want to find someone who will win right away, then they need to go out and hire a big gun like Spurrier (although he's gone now) and expect some impact in 2-3 years.

Just my $.02.

Jon