PDA

View Full Version : 2005 QB Situation

MustWin
12-07-2004, 06:56 PM
If we hypothetically run the table and make the playoffs and Drew hypothetically plays very well down the stretch are we obligated to start Deadthrow next season? Do we give him the Week 1 start but give him a very short leash?

Things could get interesting.

Also- How much more playing time do you expect JP to get down the stretch? Hopefully we can get big leads vs Clev and San Fran so he can play most of the 2nd half of the both games...

ScottLawrence
12-07-2004, 08:24 PM
If we do win out, that means Bledsoe has played well, and that means he should be back next year.

I don't think we win out as I think Bledsoe will come down from heaven and play terribly against the Bengals in two weeks.(Bledsoe=Tease.)

If Drew does perform well in this game, I would be VERY suprised and, would agree with a decision to have Bledsoe back next year.

FTG
12-07-2004, 08:36 PM
If we win out and Drew plays well in every game I don't have a problem with him comming back but there should be a competition in training camp for the starting job. He has a long history of poor play so I'm gonna be very hesitant to trust that he's changed for good. Sort of like Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.

casdhf
12-07-2004, 08:48 PM
Anyone else tired of talking about next season? We're on a hot streak, lets just enjoy the ride before a loss brings us crashing down. THEN we talk about '05 lol.

Mr. Cynical
12-07-2004, 10:07 PM
If we win out and Drew plays well in every game I don't have a problem with him comming back but there should be a competition in training camp for the starting job. He has a long history of poor play so I'm gonna be very hesitant to trust that he's changed for good. Sort of like Fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.
Agreed, although I would have to be convinced it was a *true* competition and also his contract would need reworking again. No way you pay a guy over $6M to be a backup.

Kenny
12-07-2004, 10:23 PM
Like others have mentioned before on this board... The problem with Bledsoe is his inability to win games against the good teams.
Whenever a big game comes up, he seems to always choke.

Im not truly convinced that Bledsoe should be our QB for next year yet. The only performance he had which I was impressed with was last Sunday when he (and not McGahee or our defense) was repsonsible for our win.
Other than last Sunday's performance, I dont really see anything special about Bledsoe that Losman shouldnt be able to do next season. But if Bledsoe keeps up this performance, than yes... he should get the start.

But as of right now, I say it's open competition for the starting spot when minicamps/preseason starts next year.

TigerJ
12-07-2004, 10:52 PM
If Buffalo ends up 9-7 or 106, I think Drew will be back. Anything less than that and I'm not sure what the Bills will do. I agree that there is still a question about whether Drew can step it up agains top notch defenses and great teams. However, he has made leaps and bounds thus far this season in his play, and one could make the argument than having come this far, he ought to be given at least the chance to to take the next step and play well against the elite teams in the league.

I still don't think there is any question that JP Losman is the futureof quaterbacking in Buffalo, but I don't think there is any harm to his development by backing up Drew for another year. If the Bills need him to step in, he's available. He will be at least the #2 QB next season.

Drive 4 Five
12-07-2004, 11:19 PM
As long as Drew continues to play well he deserves to start. You know people ***** and complain about this guy constantly, but it is not as if there are any other options, and besides he is better than half the starting quarterbacks in this league. Drew will be back next year, and I seriously doubt that Losman will be able to wrest the job from him. I really don't see what all the fuss is about. Forget about what Drew has done or hasn't done. If the Ravens won with Trent Dilfer then why can't we win with Drew Bledsoe? Contrary to popular belief, the Bills are not rebuilding. This team and coaching staff has been assembled to get us into the playoffs and in a position to contend for a title. We did not get it done last year, as the team was largely believed to be poorly coached and underachieved, the jury is still out on this year, and there is always next year (the third year). There is already too much time and money invested to go into rebuild mold. Like it or not, this organization is sold on Bledsoe and he will be our starting quarterback at least until 2006.

Mr. Cynical
12-08-2004, 12:05 AM
besides he is better than half the starting quarterbacks in this league.Well almost half...he is currently ranked 19th in the league.

The Predator
12-08-2004, 12:35 AM
:rofl:

Last Sunday Bledsoe Had A Good Game Against The Worst Team In The AFC, The 2-11 Dolphins, And All of The Sudden This Is A Debate Again???

Losman 05

rtconner
12-08-2004, 01:33 AM
If we do win out, that means Bledsoe has played well, and that means he should be back next year.

I don't think we win out as I think Bledsoe will come down from heaven and play terribly against the Bengals in two weeks.(Bledsoe=Tease.)

If Drew does perform well in this game, I would be VERY suprised and, would agree with a decision to have Bledsoe back next year.dang yo, you want to put money on this game? you don't think he'll play well. I bet you he does.

The_Philster
12-08-2004, 05:01 AM

Last Sunday Bledsoe Had A Good Game Against The Worst Team In The AFC, The 2-11 Dolphins, And All of The Sudden This Is A Debate Again???

Losman 05Dolphins have the second-best pass defense in the NFL yet Bledsoe torched them :scratch:

shotgun
12-08-2004, 05:18 AM
u know what no matter what we think or what we say on this or any other board will not make up M.M or .T.D mind about who will be the qb next year ... when the bills run the table and make the playoffs this year... that means bledsoe should be the starter next year why because the kid jp dose not have the exp yet to start ... but if we do not run the table and not make it into the playoffs then we should start the kid jp. and he will have exp for next year and then a new era starts ... ok ... ok fine becuase that all that can happen .... go bills ... because no matter what happens eather or .. or will happen .... ok so get your superbowl tickets now ... :-)

Jan Reimers
12-08-2004, 06:23 AM
The object is always to win. If we continue to win down the stretch with Drew, he remains our QB for this season and will be the odds on favorite to start next year. If we falter, JP gets some time this season, and a chance to compete for the number 1 job in camp next year.

I think we DO NOT pull an idiotic Bengals move and announce that JP is the starter next season, come Hell or high water.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
12-08-2004, 10:12 AM
I confess to being one of the biggest Bledsoe detractors on this board.

I just have never thought he was a champion.

The only thing that has me wondering about this guy is .....here he is in the twilight of his career.....maybe he finally realizes it and maybe he is coming into his own as a complete qb.

I think QBs get better with age as long as they aren't hurt.

Look at Elway and Randall Cunningham and even Warren Moon.

I can't think of a QB that all of a sudden became much better at Drew's age but maybe it has happened.

I think you see most older QBs skills deteriorate because of nagging injuries that they just cannot recover from or overcome.

What do you think?

LarryBoy
12-08-2004, 10:22 AM
Dolphins have the second-best pass defense in the NFL yet Bledsoe torched them :scratch:

People like to look at the numbers that back them up. :headscrat

The_Philster
12-08-2004, 05:46 PM
which is exactly why I laugh at stats and people who swear by them...they can be twisted every which way to make you look like you know more than you actually do. :;

Mr. Cynical
12-08-2004, 06:02 PM

Coming from someone who says stats are useless. Very convenient.

THATHURMANATOR
12-08-2004, 06:48 PM
I would think that Drew will most likely start next year unless JP lights it up in the preseason. I would advocate that he be on a short leash though.

Bill Brasky
12-08-2004, 07:47 PM

Good post.