PDA

View Full Version : Jommy Johnson coaching tree is bare

G. Host
12-07-2004, 11:07 PM
We noted it earlier in the week, but it bears repeating: The exit of Butch Davis from the Browns further dims the record of the Jimmy Johnson coaching "tree" in the NFL. The staff that Johnson assembled during his tenure in Dallas certainly was an impressive one, a group that contributed mightily to claming a pair of Super Bowl titles during his five seasons there. But his protégés have been unable, at least at the NFL level, to emulate Johnson's success. Davis is the second former Johnson assistant to be fired this year, following Dave Wannstedt's departure from the Miami Dolphins last month. Such failure has become, somewhat inexplicably, commonplace for the assistants who served under Johnson in the NFL and then advanced to head coaching jobs. The cumulative record for the four former Johnson assistants who became head coaches is just 177-226-1, a .439 winning percentage. The breakdown: Wannstedt, 84-90 with the Chicago Bears (1993-98) and the Dolphins (2000-2004); Norv Turner, 54-67-1 with the Washington Redskins (1994-2000); Butch Davis, 24-36 with the Cleveland Browns (2001-2004); and Dave Campo, 15-33 with the Cowboys (2000-2002). The four combined for one division title and, in the postseason, failed to advance beyond the division round of the playoffs. more (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1937892)

You know now WHY JJ does not return to coaching - he realizes that the coaching staff was not great but because of the idiotic deal by Vikings and backdoor deals by the Cowpokes owner to get extra cash as well as marketing by league promoting them, they were able to get a lot of players that according to parity they should not have been able to IMO.

cordog
12-08-2004, 12:07 AM
We saw how "brilliant" JJ was when he came to miami. They were a first round playoff team at best. Without the likes of Aikman, Emmitt and Irvin along with a cast of others, JJ isnt all that brilliant.

Mr. Cynical
12-08-2004, 12:12 AM
First let me say JJ is a complete and utter cocky piece of s**t a**shole. Just wanted to state that up front.

Now...as for the tree failing...I think a big part of the reason is that JJ is a very good evaluator of talent and knows how to work the draft, and that was a major factor in his success at Dallas. Without JJ picking the players, Wanny and Davis faltered. They might be decent coaches but not the best on draft day. JMO.

G. Host
12-08-2004, 01:21 AM
JJ had almost complete control in Miami and inherited a team making playoffs and failed to do anything with them but otherwise I agree.

Jan Reimers
12-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Jimmy must be like Jeff Foxworthy's Redneck: His family tree, or in this case, his coaching tree, has no branches.

ryjam282
12-08-2004, 07:16 AM
I know we all pretty much hated the guy, but being a big UM fan. Jimmy knew talent and was a great recruiter when he was down here. When Wanny was his D coor., they had one of the best D's in NCAA history statistically wise.

He was a good coach and Wanny and Butch are both good coordinators, they just aren't head coaches. Much like Ray Rhodes, Wade Phillips, and countless others. Wanny will be back soon as a D coordinator somewhere and he will do fine.

Mr. Cynical
12-08-2004, 12:59 PM
He was a good coach and Wanny and Butch are both good coordinators, they just aren't head coaches. Much like Ray Rhodes, Wade Phillips, and countless others. Wanny will be back soon as a D coordinator somewhere and he will do fine.
Agreed.

capitolneal
12-08-2004, 01:29 PM
Actually Hersahal Walker made Dallas a dynasty look at the picks from Minnesota they got, that had to be the worst trade in history of the NFL
but jj is a great evaluator of talent. even in Miami Zach in thge fourth round
and he takes chances on players with charector issues (cecil the diesel)
irving etc

NJFINSFAN1
12-08-2004, 03:36 PM
JJ had almost complete control in Miami and inherited a team making playoffs and failed to do anything with them but otherwise I agree.
JJ was the beginning of our fall! While having great drafts on the Defensive side, he failed to do anything on the offensive side, then he steps down and gives us Wanny! I can't stand JJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ryjam282
12-08-2004, 09:26 PM
The reason he could help the O was cause of Marino. People had always said, if Marino had a running game he would be great. Jimmy got Kareem Abdul-Jabar in there and Marino started complaining about not wanting to hand the ball off. It wasn't all Jimmy's fault, he did bring in some players there too.