• Show
Clear All
  • Demon
    • Mar 2003

ND to interview Clements on Thursday

You must log in to read it. You can use my password/id which is

ID: PiastKing
    Pass: Piast

This story is breaking news and is being talked about currently on sporting news radio. This story will print in Wed's issue of the NY Times.

I hate to say it because i like what he's done and would like us to remain the same, but good luck Tom!
    Impossible is Nothing.

• Mr. Cynical
    Maybe?
    • Oct 2003

Gary O'Hagan, the agent for Clements, said that when Irish Athletic Director Kevin White called Iowa Coach Kirk Ferentz to gauge his interest in the job, Ferentz recommended Clements. O'Hagan said Clements was interested in the job. When Holtz retired from Notre Dame after the 1996 season, Clements pushed hard to get the job. The Irish hired Bob Davie instead.

Two other candidates took themselves off the list yesterday. Louisville's Bobby Petrino and Wisconsin's Barry Alvarez said they were happy with their jobs.

Interesting. So one way to read this is TC is not happy with his job? All I know is that I hope whatever happens, happens quickly. Learning yet another system for these guys is going to be rough, so we need to make the change quick before they get too aclimated to TC.
    Last edited by Mr. Cynical; 12-08-2004, 01:08 AM.

Comment

• G. Host
      Banned
      • Jul 2002

From your quote he was interested in 1996. A lot has changed in college football since then.

After reading article it may just be a courtsey call or what they call a "practice interview". If they throw the kitchen sink he may bite but everyone has that major figure they would throw current job away for.

Remember he was QB coach in Pittsburgh and Mularchy is a offense-minded coach; likely the offense system has major input from Mularchy anyways.
      Last edited by G. Host; 12-08-2004, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• NapalmDeath
        • Aug 2004

I thought they couldn't interview assistants until after the season/and or playoffs? Or is that just for NFL jobs?

There's truth to the saying Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem, where a passionate fan base believes it has more answers than Ken Jennings on "Jeopardy."

Comment

• Philagape
          WIN NOW
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Cynical
          So one way to read this is TC is not happy with his job?
          I think being head coach of Notre Dame (even when it's not one's alma mater) is more enticing than being an NFL assistant under any circumstances
          "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
          2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Jan Reimers
            Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
            • May 2003

Originally posted by Philagape
            I think being head coach of Notre Dame (even when it's not one's alma mater) is more enticing than being an NFL assistant under any circumstances
            Exactly. Who could blame Clements for taking what is still one of the most prestigious, highest profile positions in all of college football?
            Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Philagape

i disagree.. especially at ND.. their acedemic standards are so high now that the majority of great athletes are ruled out of recruiting because they cant get in.. ND has no chance of winning.. why do you think so many coaches have competely turned their nose up at the job?

ND is not near what it used to be.. and i dont think leaving the nfl after half a season of being a OC is necessarily a great career move..especially to be the next losing head coach at ND that will probably be fired in the next 2 years.
              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• finsrclowns
                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                Exactly. Who could blame Clements for taking what is still one of the most prestigious, highest profile positions in all of college football?
                Me. We need him here. It will be chaos if he leaves. Even if he stays for the remainder of the season he will be severely distracted. But I'll bet he gets it. The ND job is no longer what it once was. Meyer going to FL showed that. Because of the academic restrictions a coach faces, the ND job is one step above the Nebraska job but there are probably a dozen college jobs more desirable. ND has the alumni factor working to attract Clements but with their schedule and admisssion requirements you better be superman if you want to win big at ND.
                finsrclowns

Comment

• Dozerdog
                  In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
                  i disagree.. especially at ND.. their acedemic standards are so high now that the majority of great athletes are ruled out of recruiting because they cant get in.. ND has no chance of winning.. why do you think so many coaches have competely turned their nose up at the job?

ND is not near what it used to be.. and i dont think leaving the nfl after half a season of being a OC is necessarily a great career move..especially to be the next losing head coach at ND that will probably be fired in the next 2 years.
                  The acedemic standards are a part of it- but they had former Notre Dame great Tim Brown on the Sirius NFL Channel last week and they were discussing the TW firing.

Brown said a MAJOR concern of some of the best black players is South Bend itself. Weather sucks half the year, and both players and parents bring up the concern of a lack of a large african-american population on campus. (including young ladies). Not to say that these players are out looking to get laid or anything, but even going out to the movies or sharing a burger & a shake - it's tough to find people to go out with there.

He said for ND tyo improve the recruiting process is to get a lot of famous alumni to go back and help recruit.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

well that is not going to happen over the next coaches watch.. that just wont change that fast.

the next coach to go there is going to lose.. and almost everyone knows it..

thus, guys like the head coach of kansas... friggen kansas... have turned down the ND job.
                    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

they should call back george oleary... i am sure he has his resume straight by now.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                        Give me a minute...
                        • Jul 2002

I'd take the ND job in a heartbeat....

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer

so would most other janitors ..

Last edited by Tatonka; 12-08-2004, 08:19 AM.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

they should call back george oleary... i am sure he has his resume straight by now.
                            his Central Florida team was winless and got beat by UB...pass.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                              • May 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                              And so will Clements, I'm sure. Notre Dame is still one of the top universities - academically and athletically - in the country. As an alum, Clements will be chomping at the bit to return Notre Dame football to national prominence.

I know it's hard for a lot of us Bills' fans to comprehend, but head coach at Notre Dame is viewed by many as WAY better than assistant coach with the Buffalo Bills.
                              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Working...
                              X