PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that were hard on Mcgee

Tatonka
12-08-2004, 08:08 AM
I personally have seen a big improvement in his play.. imagine that.. a young player getting better with experience..

but for comparisons sake.. to give you guys an idea of his contribution to this team... compaired to what we had.. (of coarse winfield couldnt get and INT to save his life here.. maybe his hands were too cold.)

Winfield (who is out for the next 2-3 weeks)
69 solos, 15 assists, 3 INTS, NO SACKS, 2 FF, 8 Passes Defensed..

Mcgee (who didnt become the starter till week 3)
57 solos, 10 assists, 3 INTS, 2 SACKS, NO FF, 12 Passes Defensed... not to mention his 3 TDs on special teams..

call me crazy.. but for the money and future.. i take mcgee in a heartbeat.. i really like the kid.

Mahdi
12-08-2004, 08:21 AM
McGee is a playmaker fer sure, and he has definitely imoroved with all the experience he's getting, and think he's probably going to be a dominant corner in this league. But for now teams are still picking on him, which is giving him the opportunity to make a lot of plays but he also gets a lot of plays made against him, which is why IMO we need to have Vincent back if we want to make a serious run down the stretch this season.

Ebenezer
12-08-2004, 08:23 AM
I personally have seen a big improvement in his play.. imagine that.. a young player getting better with experience..

but for comparisons sake.. to give you guys an idea of his contribution to this team... compaired to what we had.. (of coarse winfield couldnt get and INT to save his life here.. maybe his hands were too cold.)

Winfield (who is out for the next 2-3 weeks)
69 solos, 15 assists, 3 INTS, NO SACKS, 2 FF, 8 Passes Defensed..

Mcgee (who didnt become the starter till week 3)
57 solos, 10 assists, 3 INTS, 2 SACKS, NO FF, 12 Passes Defensed... not to mention his 3 TDs on special teams..

call me crazy.. but for the money and future.. i take mcgee in a heartbeat.. i really like the kid.
all that being said, he doesn't have the "stuffs" that Winfield had. Winfield was great at locking down the run and often made tackles, in the open field, at or behind the line of scrimmage. McGee is looking very good but still needs to improve a bit.

Jan Reimers
12-08-2004, 08:32 AM
I agree with T. Let the kid continue to play and develop - he's a big time playmaker whose coverage skills will onlly get better with experience.

If Vincent ever gets back this season, use him as a utility guy - in nickel and dime situations, a little at safety, and as a mentor to the young guys.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-08-2004, 08:33 AM
What is with you and these you need to apologize, those of you who thought... threads?

Tatonka
12-08-2004, 08:47 AM
What is with you and these you need to apologize, those of you who thought... threads?

maybe because i get called out on drew bledsoe every time the guy doesnt **** the bed.

i was simply making a comparison between what he had.. to show people that the kid is better than he gets credit for.

and EB.. it is all well and good that Winfield was a great run stuffer.. but that is why we have LBs.. eventually a CB that is playing LB is going to get killed just due to size.. (btw, winfield is out 3 weeks right now.. )

Ebenezer
12-08-2004, 08:51 AM
maybe because i get called out on drew bledsoe every time the guy doesnt **** the bed.

i was simply making a comparison between what he had.. to show people that the kid is better than he gets credit for.

and EB.. it is all well and good that Winfield was a great run stuffer.. but that is why we have LBs.. eventually a CB that is playing LB is going to get killed just due to size.. (btw, winfield is out 3 weeks right now.. )
I don't deny that...that type of play will get you hurt (I don't know how Winfield got hurt so I can't say) but a stuff like that by a DB now and then is a good thing for many reasons...change in game plan, scrapping a play from the game plan, confidence, etc.

Tatonka
12-08-2004, 08:52 AM
i loved watching it.. but we have clements.. who can really lay the wood too.. for all the extra money.. wini just isnt worth it.. (not that you were saying he was...)

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-08-2004, 09:14 AM
OK, it just seems a little unusual coming from you, that stuff isn't your style.

Crimm
12-08-2004, 02:34 PM
I love McGee and think he will be a very good one in time. I surely think he has the potential to be better than winny ever was. He has a much higher gear than Winny does, meaning he can keep with even the fastest of WRs, I remember Winny getting burnt deep a few too many times for my liking (anyone remember dante Hall just running perfectly straight downfield w/o making any kind of move and winny just getting toasted last year?)

Winny did lay the smackdown and McGee does look a little soft in run support, but with our defense I dont think our corners need to be the greatest in run support, besides clements lays the smackdown something fierce on his side.

As I am in the minority thinking that we dont really have a chance to make the playoffs this year I say we leave McGee in there and let him continue to mature into a special player at corner. If and when TV gets healthy I say we get him in there at FS as that will be his position from here on in and he needs to get some experience for next year at that spot.

What are people's assesments of Kevin Thomas as a nickelback, I am ok with him, though I think we could do better.

DraftBoy
12-08-2004, 02:47 PM
i loved watching it.. but we have clements.. who can really lay the wood too.. for all the extra money.. wini just isnt worth it.. (not that you were saying he was...)

Clements needs to step it up in his own regard this season he got his annual pick v. Phins but I still dont think he's living up to his potential or hype, Id like to see more.

Tatonka
12-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Clements needs to step it up in his own regard this season he got his annual pick v. Phins but I still dont think he's living up to his potential or hype, Id like to see more.

i would always like to see guys play better.. but he is clearly the best we got.

EDS
12-08-2004, 03:09 PM
What are people's assesments of Kevin Thomas as a nickelback, I am ok with him, though I think we could do better.

I like Thomas as a nickel back. He does not have great speed so he is limited in that regard, but makes up for it with solid instincts.

ryven
12-08-2004, 03:18 PM
I don't know I saw Mcgee put the smack down on Ricky Williams last year and one was for a FF. I just don't think it is his style to be a run support CB, but he can do it.

DraftBoy
12-08-2004, 03:45 PM
i would always like to see guys play better.. but he is clearly the best we got.

My only gripe about him is that he is supposedly a playmaker yet he is inconsistent in that department, id prefer to get a Carlos Rogers in the draft and then dump Clements and go with Rogers and McGee....

Thomas and Greer as nickle and dime back are aok with me.

Mr. Cynical
12-08-2004, 05:26 PM
I agree with T. Let the kid continue to play and develop - he's a big time playmaker whose coverage skills will onlly get better with experience.

If Vincent ever gets back this season, use him as a utility guy - in nickel and dime situations, a little at safety, and as a mentor to the young guys.
Agreed. I don't want to see TV starting at corner when he gets back. McGee keeps getting better and it would stunt his growth. TV is old and is going to be out of football most likely in 2-3 years anyway. Use him at FS or something, but let our future continue to grow.

Mahdi
12-08-2004, 08:44 PM
Agreed. I don't want to see TV starting at corner when he gets back. McGee keeps getting better and it would stunt his growth. TV is old and is going to be out of football most likely in 2-3 years anyway. Use him at FS or something, but let our future continue to grow.
As long as we are still in the playoff hunt I think you have to start your best CB's. Thats clements and vincent. If we end up out of the race then yes we should put Vincent in at safety and leave McGee at corner. JMO

Forward_Lateral
12-08-2004, 08:58 PM
Corner is probably the toughest position to play in the NFL. Obviously, a rookie CB will make mistakes (McGee has) but, I think McGee overall has improved each week, and will be a great CB. He's fast, has good hand, all he needs to learn is the tricks of coverage. With Vincent there to help him, and Gray (who was a DB when he played) I don't see why McGee can't turn out to be better than Winfield.

Mahdi
12-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Corner is probably the toughest position to play in the NFL. Obviously, a rookie CB will make mistakes (McGee has) but, I think McGee overall has improved each week, and will be a great CB. He's fast, has good hand, all he needs to learn is the tricks of coverage. With Vincent there to help him, and Gray (who was a DB when he played) I don't see why McGee can't turn out to be better than Winfield.
I'm sure McGee will be a much better corner than Winfield was. He has the abilities to be a shutdown corner which winfield certainly wasnt.