• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • northernbillfan
    Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

I'm thankful...

The Bills were the laughing stock of the league by week five.

I'm thankful that they are now mentioned in the same breath as the Broncos and Ravens. When I was listening to the positive comments about the Bills on ESPN radio all this week, I had shivers go down my spine. I almost wept.
    When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

• SABURZFAN
    short bus extraordinaire
    • Jul 2002

if somebody told me that we'd be 6-6,i would've laughed them out of the building.the way that this team executed in September,i thought we'd be lucky to win 6 games all year.this team altogether has done a 180 degree turn.
    Originally posted by yordad
    Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• Billz_fan
      • Jan 2003

Things change quickly in the NFL don't they.

Thank god !!!!
      The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

I was down on the team like the rest of you, but looking back into September now it isnt really a shock to me. The team lacked a lot of things as a whole way back in September they lacked confidence, talent, experience but the biggest factor was identity. We didnt start taking shape until the first Pats game and even then it was just developing. Early on the team was coached to 'not lose' games which is effective if your the Ravens, but to have the weapons that we have on offense and to play as conservative as we were just wasnt going to fly. We lost 3 games to this method Jax, Oak and NYJ. Since then our playcalling has got 15x better we are more aggressive trying to get the ball down field and the team has started to gel.

But our Players have also improved since then the Oline is holding up really well giving Drew time to look at different recievers, Big Willie has proven to be a much better blocker than Travis and overall just seems to be much more aware of what is going on out on the field. Drew has really figure out how to manage the offense, the first few weeks he just didnt seem comfortable with all the screens and his newly acquired quick release, and as down as everyone here was on Drew it seemed like he was even harder on himself. Since then anytime I see Willis over the middle you just know he is going to hit him with the ball, and dare I say this but the elusive* Drew has been sacked less than the mobile Michael Vick and Dante Cullpepper, more importantly his confidence back. The Safeties early on in this season were disgusting we missed Milloy big time and nobody could step up at all. Wire Reese were both atrocious I did like using Prileau in blitz packages but he cant cover to save his life. Since Lawyers return he has played like a leader and like a pro bowler if he had not missed those first few weeks I could definately see him in Hawaii.

The things that held us back in September are all the typical things a new coach will probably go through, because of the new found confidence this team has regardless of our playoff status in Jan, I think Mularkey has had a solid 1st year. And in the future we will have plenty more to look foward to.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• mybills
          81 st zoner
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by northernbillfan
          The Bills were the laughing stock of the league by week five.

I'm thankful that they are now mentioned in the same breath as the Broncos and Ravens. When I was listening to the positive comments about the Bills on ESPN radio all this week, I had shivers go down my spine. I almost wept.
          Week 5 was when all the local NE fans were laughing. Now they aren't. Not that I care what they think, but I'm glad we turned things around!
          I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• northernbillfan
            Hello, I'm Mike and I'm a Bills fan.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard
            I was down on the team like the rest of you, but looking back into September now it isnt really a shock to me. The team lacked a lot of things as a whole way back in September they lacked confidence, talent, experience but the biggest factor was identity. We didnt start taking shape until the first Pats game and even then it was just developing. Early on the team was coached to 'not lose' games which is effective if your the Ravens, but to have the weapons that we have on offense and to play as conservative as we were just wasnt going to fly. We lost 3 games to this method Jax, Oak and NYJ. Since then our playcalling has got 15x better we are more aggressive trying to get the ball down field and the team has started to gel.

But our Players have also improved since then the Oline is holding up really well giving Drew time to look at different recievers, Big Willie has proven to be a much better blocker than Travis and overall just seems to be much more aware of what is going on out on the field. Drew has really figure out how to manage the offense, the first few weeks he just didnt seem comfortable with all the screens and his newly acquired quick release, and as down as everyone here was on Drew it seemed like he was even harder on himself. Since then anytime I see Willis over the middle you just know he is going to hit him with the ball, and dare I say this but the elusive* Drew has been sacked less than the mobile Michael Vick and Dante Cullpepper, more importantly his confidence back. The Safeties early on in this season were disgusting we missed Milloy big time and nobody could step up at all. Wire Reese were both atrocious I did like using Prileau in blitz packages but he cant cover to save his life. Since Lawyers return he has played like a leader and like a pro bowler if he had not missed those first few weeks I could definately see him in Hawaii.

The things that held us back in September are all the typical things a new coach will probably go through, because of the new found confidence this team has regardless of our playoff status in Jan, I think Mularkey has had a solid 1st year. And in the future we will have plenty more to look foward to.
            Nice analogy.

Another thing about the disappointing Sept was that Mularkey said the team hit a low after the Jax game and never fully recovered. I think they're recovered now.
            When I die, please don't let my wife sell my camera equipment for what I told her I paid for it.

Comment

• The King
              Without me it's just Awe so
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by northernbillfan
              Nice analogy.

Another thing about the disappointing Sept was that Mularkey said the team hit a low after the Jax game and never fully recovered. I think they're recovered now.

I remember hearing that also.... which falls into the confidence category
              I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
              "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
              You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
              It was all
              true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
              He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
              mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

Working...
              X