PDA

View Full Version : Is Drew Bledsoe's Career resurrected?

Ebenezer
12-09-2004, 03:53 PM
One goal during the offseason was for the new offensive staff to attempt to resurrect the career of Drew Bledsoe. It appears to have taken a while but it might be on the way to being done. Is his career resurrected? Will he have a future here in Buffalo or any other city? Can he be a starter in the league after this year.

I think he can and will be for at least 2005.

:feedback:

The King
12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
I agree. I think he will take a major paycut to stay here too. And he will do it for the benefit of the team. I gurantee drew doesnt want to start all over again. And right now this offense is built for him. If for some odd reason he isnt here he will get a chance somewhere else. I just hope Drew knows when to bow out...

BTW being part of the Drew fan club I still think he is going to continue to play well and dare I sat exceed some of our expectations! But thats what I always say

justasportsfan
12-09-2004, 03:58 PM
He's no longer crappy but he's still mediocre.

BAM
12-09-2004, 03:58 PM
:movie:

Demon
12-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Could Drew Bledsoe win the Comeback Player of the Year Award?

It will be close, esspiailly if we keep on winning. Even though i think Drew Brees will win it, but with 4 games left, you never know...

The_Philster
12-09-2004, 03:59 PM
I'll wait to the end of the season to make a final verdict but I think he's got another year left in him.

TedMock
12-09-2004, 04:03 PM
One goal during the offseason was for the new offensive staff to attempt to resurrect the career of Drew Bledsoe. It appears to have taken a while but it might be on the way to being done. Is his career resurrected? Will he have a future here in Buffalo or any other city? Can he be a starter in the league after this year.

I think he can and will be for at least 2005.

:feedback:

I still don't know what to think about him as a player. He has had a couple of very bad games this year, but overall I think he's playing decent. The most noticeable difference is the fact that he's actually moving around better, and avoiding more sacks. Also, when I was looking up his stats for the other thread I found the following. In his first 6 games he had 6 TD's and 7 INT's, in the last 6 games he's thrown 11 TD's and 7 INT's. He's definitely having a much better 2nd half in that regard.

ajsdx
12-09-2004, 04:05 PM
I still don't know what to think about him as a player. He has had a couple of very bad games this year, but overall I think he's playing decent. The most noticeable difference is the fact that he's actually moving around better, and avoiding more sacks. Also, when I was looking up his stats for the other thread I found the following. In his first 6 games he had 6 TD's and 7 INT's, in the last 6 games he's thrown 11 TD's and 7 INT's. He's definitely having a much better 2nd half in that regard.

Which is weird because he usually plays much better in the first half of the season than the 2nd half.

juice
12-09-2004, 04:06 PM
According to Wys and Tonk Bledsoe's career was over in NE.. even though he set most of the single season passing records his first season with the Bills.. His Pro Bowl year.

Ebenezer
12-09-2004, 04:06 PM
whereas he has a habit of fading in the 2nd half of the city.

FTG
12-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I actually agree with Phil :jawdrop: I will decide when the season is over. If he can go into Cinnci and lead us to a win in a big game and then play well against Pitts (they may still beat us) I will believe he may be good enough to give Losman 1 more year learning. I'd still keep him on a very short leash next year. It's hard to foget his horrible play of the past.

The King
12-09-2004, 04:09 PM
I actually agree with Phil :jawdrop: I will decide when the season is over. If he can go into Cinnci and lead us to a win in a big game and then play well against Pitts (they may still beat us) I will believe he may be good enough to give Losman 1 more year learning. I'd still keep him on a very short leash next year. It's hard to foget his horrible play of the past.

:up: I know that was tough for you but good post!!!

Ebenezer
12-09-2004, 04:09 PM
whereas he has a habit of fading in the 2nd half of the city.
Tell me that Miami, Baltimore, Washington, Dallas, Chicago, New Orleans, SF or Arizona (other teams might but not at the price) wouldn't take him as the starter...tell me that many teams wouldn't take him as a backup (including the Bills).

Ebenezer
12-09-2004, 04:10 PM
many players in many sports lose years off their careers because of bad play...it gets magnified when you are a QB...how many times was Jim Plunkett left for dead?

BillsOverDolphins
12-09-2004, 04:11 PM
me 3.

The Cincy game scares me the most...if he can play well on the ROAD and come out with a W, than do the same against San Fran, I will greatly consider it. For as awful as he's been on the road, it's hard to imagine we can still finish 4-4 away.

The King
12-09-2004, 04:14 PM
I think its the 2nd half of the year that actually got Drew here. He still throws well in poor weather. I would be curious to see his stats if he played 8 games a year in a dome or in Miami instead of the northeast.

The King
12-09-2004, 04:15 PM
Also Cincy faces NE this week the Pats could beat the piss out of them, and maybe destroy their confidence... that would be great.

FTG
12-09-2004, 04:16 PM
...................and if his career is resurrected what does that say about MM Clements and Wyche? Someone would deserve a lot of credit.

Ebenezer
12-09-2004, 04:17 PM
...................and if his career is resurrected what does that say about MM Clements and Wyche? Someone would deserve a lot of credit.
that is why they were brought here...resurrect DB AND teach a new kid. That's the one reason I don't want to lose TC to ND. The three have done a good job, so far. Got to give McNally credit too. GWs biggest weakness was his assistants.

THATHURMANATOR
12-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Could Drew Bledsoe win the Comeback Player of the Year Award?

It will be close, esspiailly if we keep on winning. Even though i think Drew Brees will win it, but with 4 games left, you never know...

Brees is a shoe in man.

Ebenezer
12-09-2004, 04:30 PM
Brees is a shoe in man.
Agreed.

pcnorth22
12-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Tell me that Miami, Baltimore, Washington, Dallas, Chicago, New Orleans, SF or Arizona (other teams might but not at the price) wouldn't take him as the starter...tell me that many teams wouldn't take him as a backup (including the Bills).

Washington wouldn't take him as their starter...oh actually I forgot, Gibbs was stupid enough to sit Ramsay for Brunell already, so yeah they might

THATHURMANATOR
12-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Bledsoe is better than Ramsey and Brunnell but behind that line he would get destroyed.

The_Philster
12-09-2004, 06:05 PM
I actually agree with Phil :jawdrop:
:faint: :;

DaBills
12-09-2004, 08:30 PM
"One goal during the offseason was for the new offensive staff to attempt to resurrect the career of Drew Bledsoe. It appears to have taken a while but it might be on the way to being done. Is his career resurrected?

I give props to WM playing the role of a Curtis Martin that has contributed as much to this as anything. Before this year, I think defensive coordinators would line up and just blitz DB after seeing him in his first year here, or stack the middle against Henry.

WM is able to make more things happen at the line than Henry, and this I believe has taken pressure off DB.

"Will he have a future here in Buffalo or any other city? Can he be a starter in the league after this year."

To be a starter, I think he has to win out, or go 3 of 4 minimum. a 2-2 split will just leave too many questions for teams to thinking of taking a chance on him (if he becomes a FA).

G. Host
12-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Drew is definitely better now but not as good as he was pre-Brady. It has to do with game plan, OL play and game adjustments as well as more help from Evans, Euhus and McGahee.

Unless a guarenteed better veteran is released Bills ought to keep Drew but make Drew and Losman compete for position with understand that even if one is declared the starter, he may be pulled as a way to adjust to the current situation and that they do not want either one OR THEIR AGENT making remarks to media. They also better forget stats for if Bills are dominating they will pull starting QB to keep him fresh and to keep other sharp.

Drew will probably win due to experience (experienced players often beat newcomers who are more talented but fade because of wear and tear as well as less reserves).

Bills also ought to look for a younger QB with upside in case Bledsoe fades and Losman is not ready for prime time; Travis Brown experiment was a failure and Bills ought to look for a QB who can do other things like Mularchy had in Pittsburgh.

Mr. Cynical
12-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Is Drew Bledsoe's Career resurrected?

To answer I would need to know what level resurrected to. His first half year in '02? His SB year in '96?

After getting drubbed in NE he has been alot better in the last 3 games. Before I would mention any resurrection, he needs to put together a complete 16 game season. Didn't do it in '02. Didn't in '03. And he can't in '04 given his lousy performance in the first 6 games. In fact I'm not sure when the last time he did well over a full season....1998?

If he has suddenly seen the light and is now going to win games against winning teams, and win games on the road, then he deserves to compete for the job next year. But I think it is far too early to say his career is resurrected.

chernobylwraiths
12-09-2004, 10:21 PM

I.... agree.... with .... FTG.

:jawdrop:

cordog
12-09-2004, 10:25 PM
that is why they were brought here...resurrect DB AND teach a new kid. That's the one reason I don't want to lose TC to ND. The three have done a good job, so far. Got to give McNally credit too. GWs biggest weakness was his assistants.

I agree, i dont want to see TC go to ND, but Mularkey has shown he can bring in very good coaches so i dont think all would be lost.

chernobylwraiths
12-09-2004, 10:28 PM

To answer I would need to know what level resurrected to. His first half year in '02? His SB year in '96?

After getting drubbed in NE he has been alot better in the last 3 games. Before I would mention any resurrection, he needs to put together a complete 16 game season. Didn't do it in '02. Didn't in '03. And he can't in '04 given his lousy performance in the first 6 games. In fact I'm not sure when the last time he did well over a full season....1998?

If he has suddenly seen the light and is now going to win games against winning teams, and win games on the road, then he deserves to compete for the job next year. But I think it is far too early to say his career is resurrected.

I wouldn't say his game was stellar in the first 6 games, but neither would I say that it came close to lousy. I think he was worse in the Raider's game than in the Raven's game and was downright awful in the second NE game.

I also wouldn't say his career is resurrected. I just think he is playing fairly solid football now. I just hope he can keep it up. I really think he needed to get some confidence back.

The Predator
12-09-2004, 10:58 PM

:rofl:

No, And It's Not Going To Be.

The Only Question Is, How Many "YEARS" Will It Take Before The Bills Figure That Out???

GO BILLS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>04

Drewpac
12-10-2004, 12:04 AM
I wouldn't say he's resurrected his career. Let's put it this way, three weeks ago the guy was dead, but now he's got a weak pulse.

Billz_fan
12-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Drew has at least 1 hot streak each year. I hope this is it.

Is his career resurrected ? I doubt it. He has to put together some wins against major contenders when it counts for that to happen.

Tatonka
12-10-2004, 08:34 AM
He's no longer crappy but he's still mediocre.

:up:

Tatonka
12-10-2004, 08:35 AM
i hope he plays awesome for the remainder of the year..

then we trade him for some value..

don137
12-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Drew has to do a lot more than to be successful against some bad defenses (yes Miami has a bad defense this year). He needs to stay consistent for the rest of the year especially the Pittsburgh game. I will believe his career is resurrected if finishes the year strong and we make the playoffs and he plays consistant in a couple of games in the playoffs. If he does that then he has been ressurected.
If we don't make the playoffs forfeiting his chance to prove himself in the playoffs then there still will be doubt. If he goes back to his old self then....

I am curious how much Wyche had to do with the change in Drew, if any.

Mr. Cynical
12-10-2004, 02:23 PM
i hope he plays awesome for the remainder of the year..

then we trade him for some value..
:rofl:

I'm sure there's someone who would take him. I mean, Todd Collins is STILL in the league! :roflmao:

Tatonka
12-10-2004, 02:35 PM
According to Wys and Tonk Bledsoe's career was over in NE.. even though he set most of the single season passing records his first season with the Bills.. His Pro Bowl year.

yeah, because records like

most pass attempts in a season
most pass attempts in a game

those are just awesome records to hold.. bledsoes records had a very small amount to do with winning.

it wasnt like they were records like -
most tds in a season
least turnovers in a season

because he was nothing more than average at that.. he didnt even breat 30 tds in that "probowl" year. the most he has ever had in a season is 28.. wow.. manning puts that up in a 5 game period.

he also made the probowl based on the first half of the year and popularity and glory the media threw at him because he came back from being benched to kick the crap out of a bunch of really tough defenses like minnesota in overtime.. because he sucked the second half. he had more turnovers than tds the last 8 games of last year, and the offensive struggles were the direct reason we went from 5-3 to finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs. and then sucked as bad as anyone can possibly suck all year last year.. finishing with 24 turnovers and 12 tds..

dont call me out juice unless you can back up assinine posts like that.

Tatonka
12-10-2004, 02:40 PM
this is a perfect example of how i get goated into talking about bledsoe.. because of posts like juice's..

juice.. i cant wait till you win the worst poster of the year award and it is displayed right under your name..

DaBills
12-10-2004, 02:46 PM
"then we trade him for some value.."

Interesting idea. Maybe we boost Henry's trade value and package the both of them? I'm thinking Phoenix.

;-p

ScottLawrence
12-10-2004, 02:46 PM
Let me say I am thrilled about this 3 game winning streak we have going.....

And, You can say he is somewhat resurrected.....too bad he can't play as well against good teams as good as he does against bad teams......which is why he will never win a superbowl.....and why he SHOULD be released in the offseason.

The farthest we will get with Bledsoe is playoffs, no farther then that.

Tatonka
12-10-2004, 02:47 PM
"then we trade him for some value.."

Interesting idea. Maybe we boost Henry's trade value and package the both of them? I'm thinking Phoenix.

;-p

as much as i love that idea.. i just cant see it happening.

Ebenezer
12-10-2004, 03:07 PM
as much as i love that idea.. i just cant see it happening.
DB has no trade value unless he were to push this team deep into the playoffs...and then why would they trade him?

Tatonka
12-10-2004, 03:10 PM
DB has no trade value unless he were to push this team deep into the playoffs...and then why would they trade him?

i agree.

Ebenezer
12-10-2004, 03:11 PM
i agree.
we agree again? :jawdrop:

Tatonka
12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
let me qualify that..

i agree IF bledsoe was the reason we got "deep" in the playoffs..

but if we are winning games like the seattle game.. then hopefully public perception is that drew "got us there". if that is the case.. then i say move him.

Tatonka
12-10-2004, 03:13 PM
and by the seattle game, i mean that willis is carrying the team and drew is basically just along for the ride... playing care taker.

Mr. Cynical
12-10-2004, 03:20 PM
and by the seattle game, i mean that willis is carrying the team and drew is basically just along for the ride... playing care taker.
Actually, I don't know that I would call his performance in that game being a "care taker". He threw 3 INTs and 1TD. A caretaker doesn't toss 3 INTs.

Mr. Cynical
12-10-2004, 03:22 PM
Because next year we'll have a 2nd year QB we traded a #1, #2 and a #5 for, and Drew is still not worth $6M+.

Ebenezer
12-10-2004, 03:35 PM
Because next year we'll have a 2nd year QB we traded a #1, #2 and a #5 for, and Drew is still not worth $6M+.
clarification: we did not trade a #2...the #1 and #5 were traded to move up from #2 to a #1...and how many #5's really work out??

and so what? if DB moves us deep in the playoffs and he is the reason they move deep in the playoffs the job is his. JP can wait. Look how long Steve Young waited behind Montana (not to compare talent, to compare situations).

Mr. Cynical
12-10-2004, 03:46 PM
Look how long Steve Young waited behind Montana (not to compare talent, to compare situations).
Different era. Free agency wasn't the same back then so you had more stability to your roster and longer roster cycles.
Different starter. They had Montana. You can wait when you have a guy winning SBs for you.
Different value. They didn't give up alot for Young. We gave up #1 and a #5, and are spending $6M+ on a guy who hasn't consistently delivered.

The King
12-10-2004, 03:52 PM
Drew will restructure to about a 3 million dollar figure

Ebenezer
12-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Different era. Free agency wasn't the same back then so you had more stability to your roster and longer roster cycles.
Different starter. They had Montana. You can wait when you have a guy winning SBs for you.
Different value. They didn't give up alot for Young. We gave up #1 and a #5, and are spending $6M+ on a guy who hasn't consistently delivered.

1. I'll give you free agency, there was nowhere for Young to go but times have changed.

2. They could have moved Montana earlier for a boat load and strengthen their team long term.

3. DBs cap number is $4,416,666...he doesn't go to $6 mil until next year and can always restructure.

Mr. Cynical
12-10-2004, 04:27 PM
2. They could have moved Montana earlier for a boat load and strengthen their team long term.But again that's a different situation entirely than what we have here. Why would you move a proven winner still in his prime? Montana won 2 SBs and was was still in his prime when they got Young, He had alot more football left in him and led them to 2 more SB wins before he finally became "expendable", which is when they promoted Young. Drew is entirely expendable...he is at the end of his career and hasn't proven he can win in 11 years. Apples and oranges.

3. DBs cap number is $4,416,666...he doesn't go to $6 mil until next year and can always restructure.I see these "cap numbers" but I'm interested in the actual, physical dollars that Drew will receive at the end of the '04 season, and then at the end of the '05 season (as per current contract). Do you have that number?

justasportsfan
12-10-2004, 04:38 PM
Drew isn't the type of qb that makes a team better regardless of the line-up. He's a qb that needs good players around him to make him decent. Get an all pro OL and a probowl rb then he becomes an above average qb.Whether 4-6 million justifies paying a qb like him should require more thought.

DaBills
12-10-2004, 04:43 PM
"DB has no trade value unless he were to push this team deep into the playoffs...and then why .."

Yes agreed. I wouldn't expect them to trade if we say, go as far as two playoff wins, for arguement's sake.

I should've been more specific. If we split 2-2 the rest of the way though, he would not have as great a value, but still, some back-up value. He just may be attractive if we could throw in Henry. (Don't know if that's even feasible pairing them, but when Henry comes back 100%, is he going to want to stick around and be second to Willis? Doubt it very much.)

Point being, the perceived value of the sum of the two players would be greater than the individual players, that's for sure. I think a lot of GM's would take Henry if they also threw in Drew, since they know they'll at least get an RB that has life left and has performed consistantly, if not great at times.

****, look at Jeff George — signed after three years off, and the NFL hates that pain in the ass, yet here he is in the league again as a back-up.

:nervous: