Starting Bledsoe in 2005 isn't the right move.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BF_in_Indiana
    FIRE JAURON NOW
    • Apr 2003

Starting Bledsoe in 2005 isn't the right move.

While the Bills are currently 6-6 and "in" the playoff hunt there is a simple fact that can't be ignored when discussing this current "dominating" stretch the Bills are having.

The Bills are 1-4 against teams with a winning record with a win against the Jets and losses to New England (twice), the Jets, and the Ravens.

Against teams at .500 or worse the Bills are 5-2 with wins against Miami (twice), Arizona, Seattle, and St. Louis.

As you can see, against the cream of the crop Drew has performed poorly and against the also rans he has been good/great at times.

Starting Drew is the wrong move for 2005 in my view because this inconsistant play will continue to lead to 8-8, 9-7, and 7-9 types of seasons.

If we go with J.P next year we may take a step back, but in the long run we take a step forward.
  • colin
    Drew's my hero!
    • Jul 2002

wrong

we only take a step forward if JP developes very quickly, and stays healthy, so we can take advantage of all the vets on our squad.

even if we only go 8-8, we will finish as a hot team, going into next year we will have positive momentum and a competant coaching staff for the first time in a while. we need a vet QB who can play NOW. unless someone drops into our lap, we will keep bledsoe and that is the right move.

we won against the seahawks and rams, both with winning records at the time.

pointing out our losses to 3 or 4 of the top 6 or 7 teams in foot ball, including the superbowl champs who JUST SET A FREAKING RECORD FOR AN UNBEATEN STREAK and saying we need to ditch our QB because of it is just asinine. Was it in fact his fault entirely? And moreover, who will we replace him with? should ever QB in the NFL be cut for losing to New England? Could the fact that we have a rookie coaching staff have contributed to the loss? Could the fact that nearly no one ever wins in Baltimore and literaly no one has won in New england for years now?

replacing warner, who is worse than bledsoe, with Manning, who is MUCH MORE READY TO PLAY NOW THAN JP BY MILES, hurt the giants.

terrible

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Why don't we see how the remainder of this season plays out before we worry too much about next year?
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• SABURZFAN
        short bus extraordinaire
        • Jul 2002

i'll worry about it when this season is over.
        Originally posted by yordad
        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• ryjam282
          Offical Billszone Starting QB
          • Mar 2003

Exactly, let it play out. Who knows what might happen.

Ryan Withey
          Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

If the Bills lose to the Bengals in 2 weeks- the JP losman era might start in San Fran.

I'll leave it up to the coaches best discretion.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

Uhhhmmmmm. St. Louis and Seattle both had winning records when the Bills beat them, sooooo Buffalo actually has a 3-4 record against winning teams, 2 of the losses can be put on Drew (especially Baltimore, I will never argue that).

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

i have nothing to add to this thread.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• clumping platelets

I disagree 100%. If Drew continues playing well, he's our man in 2005. Salary cap is not a concern as he would be making starter money. Pennington waited 2 seasons before he took over for the Jets, why can't Losman.

Comment

• ryjam282
                    Offical Billszone Starting QB
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Tatonka
                    i have nothing to add to this thread.

ZB whore

Ryan Withey
                    Owner/President/GM/Director of Player Personnel

Kansas City Super Deuces

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Just let there be an open competition in camp. Shouldn't that be the philosophy at every position? Let the best players at the time start.

JP has to EARN the job.
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

Drew would have to carry this team on his shoulders and win the remaining games on our schedule for us to believe he's worthy of keeping his job.

Should he play horribly even for just 1 game, he will still be considered a streaky qb who isn't consistent and can blow a game at any given point in the season. He cannot afford to suck against any teams we face and even against the no.1 D which is the Steelers. Even if he plays like a probowl against the browns, bengals and 49'ers but not against the Steelers, he will still be considered a qb who can't beat good teams.

Should this happen, he should not be handed the job next year and should have to COMPETE w/ JP for the no. 1 spot.

We got rid of Flutie even though he was better than RJ but RJ was considered the future. We're in the same situation again but JP would have to be given a chance to compete for the no. 1 spot.
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• BillsFanInMass
                          The Stoner Zoner
                          • Feb 2003

You just have to believe the Bills will do the right thing they know more than us . They watch the qbs practice everyday they know who is ready and gives us the best chance to win. GO Bills

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral
                            Buffalo actually has a 3-4 record against winning teams, 2 of the losses can be put on Drew (especially Baltimore, I will never argue that).
                            I know that I'm in the minority here on this one, but I do not think Drew played as bad in Baltimore as everyone here seems to think, especially for those just looking at the the INT column. I contend that whether thrown a little hard or not, the first INT (that was a TD by Sanders) was right in McGahee's hands. I thought the ball went right through them, up into the air and into Sander's hands. Some feel that it was punched out, either way, I won't fault him on that one. Second one, was a bad throw, that goes on him. I don't know whether he was throwing it up for the receiver to make a play or whatever, it was a poorly thrown ball. Third one we were going to score a FG anyway, I think a false start pushed us back from the one, regardless, the ball was right in Josh Reed's hands on third and goal and Ray Lewis practically raped him to push the ball out and it was intercepted again. I can't fault Drew on that one either. The last one, even the "haters" (just using a term you can all understand ) would contend should have been caught by Moulds. Yes, he threw behind Moulds on one ball that could have been a TD and another was broken up in the endzone that also was catchable.

I think it was the Raider's game that he played his second poorest game and if any other game could be laid on his shoulders, it was that one.

Comment

• TheBrownBear
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by BF_in_Indiana
                              While the Bills are currently 6-6 and "in" the playoff hunt there is a simple fact that can't be ignored when discussing this current "dominating" stretch the Bills are having.

The Bills are 1-4 against teams with a winning record with a win against the Jets and losses to New England (twice), the Jets, and the Ravens.

Against teams at .500 or worse the Bills are 5-2 with wins against Miami (twice), Arizona, Seattle, and St. Louis.

As you can see, against the cream of the crop Drew has performed poorly and against the also rans he has been good/great at times.

Starting Drew is the wrong move for 2005 in my view because this inconsistant play will continue to lead to 8-8, 9-7, and 7-9 types of seasons.

If we go with J.P next year we may take a step back, but in the long run we take a step forward.
                              Great well thought out post supported by facts. TheBrownBear says ignore the "Drewlickers". They cannot be reasoned with.

Comment

Working...
                              X