PDA

View Full Version : Info on Favors

Gunzlingr
11-19-2002, 04:15 PM
Not much on the guy, but here is a statistical history of him.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/football/nfl/players/12362.htm

BillsNYC
11-19-2002, 04:36 PM
does anybody know ANYTHING about this guy? is he any good? WAS he any good????

throw me a fricken bone here!

venis2k1
11-19-2002, 05:42 PM
cant be worse than Robinson

MissBuffalo
11-19-2002, 06:44 PM
:rofl: venis!

venis2k1
11-19-2002, 07:21 PM
this is all the info i can find on him, its from madden 2003(video game) he has a 950k 2 year deal with the colts, he rating is 67 overall, 70 str, 67 spd, 69 awr, 69 agi, 70 acc, 73 tak(tackling). he is VERY mediocore, i wouldnt expect him to get a ton of playing time this season, short of a injury. but then again what do i know, i get my info from a video game.

Typ0
11-19-2002, 07:25 PM
Great...now we are getting our info from video games. What is next?

DIHARD2
11-19-2002, 07:25 PM
Playing for Tennessee, does he have an idea of what is going on with 46?

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Dozerdog
11-19-2002, 07:34 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20021119/440287.html
Bills sign veteran LB Favors

November 19, 2002 Print it

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. --

Veteran linebacker Greg Favors signed with the Buffalo Bills on Tuesday, the second straight day in which the team addressed its defensive needs.

Favors joins the Bills two weeks after he was released by Indianapolis, where he was inactive for the Colts' first eight games of the season. His signing came a day after Buffalo signed pass-rushing defensive end Marcus Jones to a three-year deal worth $3.3 million, not including bonuses.

While Jones is expected to miss the rest of the season recovering from a left knee injury, Favors could help the Bills immediately.

Kansas City's fourth-round pick in the 1998 draft, Favors enjoyed his best seasons from 1999-01 at Tennessee, the first two under defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, now the Bills' head coach.

Favors' best season came in 2000, when he had a career-high 5 1/2 sacks and 61 tackles in starting 15 games for the Titans. His production tailed off only slightly last year, managing just 1 1/2 sacks and 61 tackles in 16 games.

In 63 career games, 31 of which he's started, Favors has nine sacks, 145 tackles and an interception.

TigerJ
11-19-2002, 10:16 PM
Couchscout.com says he runs the 40 in 4.61. That compares to other Bills: Newman - 4.59, Fred Jones - 4.85, Robinson - 4.81, Fletcher - 4.45, Spoon - 4.71. I know speed isn't everything. Zack Thomas is a pretty good middle linebacker and he's listed at a pedestrian 4.74. I'm sure couchscout is not the last word in accurate 40 times, but at least it's something. Robinson's 40 time gives us a good reason for his struggles at keeping up with quick running backs and athletic tight ends.

WG
11-21-2002, 09:20 AM
In any case, that $3.3M contract for three years is essentially a two-year deal since he came here on IR. Lots of cash for a questionmark player IMO. Especially when you consider that our needs are immediate and far reaching on D.

We need guys that are proven and that won't be injured.

IMO this is another dubious move by our FO. When are we gonna quit wasting bucks on average players w/ injury histories?!

Earthquake Enyart
11-21-2002, 09:23 AM
If you are inactive for Indy, you can't be worth much. But watch, GW will play him and sit Newman.

WG
11-21-2002, 09:49 AM
I'm not overly impressed with either signing. Doesn't sound like Favors cost that much. I didn't see the figures however. I am growing skeptical of TD and GW's "bargain hunt" for players however.

It seems like they're always trying to find a guy "who's supposed to be this or that" that is injured, or hasn't played in a season, or some other thing that most GMs avoid, but somehow we feel they're bound to be good.

It doesn't make any sense. Jones w/ that contract can't be cut this season. For near $2 per season, it would seem to me that we could have gotten a decent LB that doesn't have a significant injury history. ($1.65M/ year for an effective 2 years and assuming that $1M or so of that is bonus)

Why the lack of patience? FAcy hasn't even begun yet!

I gotta tell ya, this offseason had better result in a majorleague upheaval for our D. As of now, 3 of our 4 starters aren't starter caliber on the DL, or are sketchy as starters. Robinson, if he's around next year then that will be a real indictment of how biased GW is toward ex-Titan players. Robinson blows. He was brought in as a pass-specializing LB and simply can't cover. He doesn't tackle well and isn't worth a turd on blitzes or other stuff. We also need to put a couple of guys on our depth chart at CB between AW/NC and Watson.

Enough of this signing injured players and then reflecting on what they did two seasons ago when they were healthy. With the lack of performance of a well-paid Fletcher, a botched acquisition with Robinson, and a falty assessment that one of our DL-men would step up, we are ill suited to gambling w/ the precious cap dollars that we have. We need to start signing some proven players. There were plenty last season at various positions that signed for very reasonable contracts that we didn't even bother to bring in.

WG
11-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Actually, now that I've thought about that Marcus Jones deal, assuming that the $3.3M was the total contract, it may have actually been a shrewd move. Assume a $1M bonus. The contract, while he is on IR, is for three years. So a third of any bonus will already have passed for this season. He will no doubt be starting next season so we'll have that season to evaluate him both pre and regular.

So I suppose if he weren't to work out, the financial drawback wouldn't be enormous. This particular signing may have been a worthwhile gamble.

EricStratton
11-21-2002, 10:38 AM
I wonder if TD knew about that bonus/this year/next year stuff. I sure hope he reads message boards to figure out when to and when not to sign players.

Patrick76777
11-21-2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by EricStratton
I wonder if TD knew about that bonus/this year/next year stuff. I sure hope he reads message boards to figure out when to and when not to sign players.

LMAO.....very funny

Earthquake Enyart
11-21-2002, 10:48 AM
Wys actually started to argue with himself.

Pat, where have you been??

Patrick76777
11-21-2002, 10:57 AM
Well first I had a death in the family. Which took up much of my time for about a week. Then I decided that I was spending way too much of my work time talking about something like a play call on a 2nd and 5 in the 3rd quarter. I just didn’t feel like I was putting as much as I could into my career. So I decided to take some time off. At the same time, I didn’t want to be one of those posters that make a big to-do about the fact that they’re leaving. When we all know that this damn place is so addictive that we can’t leave for too long without going into convulsions. So I decided to take 2 weeks off and see how I feel. I’m still hoping to cut down, but I’m sure it’s a matter of time before I’m in a full our argument with Wys. Are you ready for me buddy?

Patrick76777
11-21-2002, 10:58 AM
And thanks for asking……I guess you missed me huh??????????\

Probably not!

WG
11-21-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by EricStratton

Yeah, it was hysterical. :rolleyes:

:D

Good question however. Maybe you should send him a letter and ask him about Robinson, Teague, and Fletcher. ;)

But wait, they're just so pivotal in running our defense. I don't know where we'd be w/o Fletcher and Robinson. :rolleyes:

;)

itsandthings
11-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Jones didn't receive any signing bonus.

Favors only signed for the remainder of the year, and counts for the pro-rated minimum against the cap ($158,823.53).

WG
11-21-2002, 01:02 PM
:monte: Exxxcellent!

blcny
11-21-2002, 02:03 PM
Jones is just another one of GW's boyfriends from Titan Land. GW needs to realize that there are other players that did not play for the Titan organization. He needs to remember He is a Buffalo Bill. TD could use the same lesson with the Steelers he brings in here. A little to much favoritism for me.

The_Philster
11-21-2002, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
If you are inactive for Indy, you can't be worth much. But watch, GW will play him and sit Newman.

I don't know...maybe move Newman over to WLB so Favors can cover the TE at SLB?

RedEyE
11-21-2002, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by The_Philster

I don't know...maybe move Newman over to WLB so Favors can cover the TE at SLB?

Can't remember where, but I read that somewhere. Apparently Favors has more skill at covering the TE.

TigerJ
11-22-2002, 12:22 PM
It's Favors who was a GW boy in Tennessee. Jones was drafted by Tampa Bay and Buffalo is only his second team. He has no history with either GW or TD.