PDA

View Full Version : Starting D-Line

gonzo1105
07-31-2002, 01:53 PM
Who are the people tat have been on the first team D-line?

bduff54
07-31-2002, 01:55 PM
office, robetson, williams and schobel

Michael82
07-31-2002, 03:07 PM
Thanks bduff! I was just going to say that! :D

gonzo1105
07-31-2002, 04:39 PM
That sounds like the best d-line we can put together

alloutblitz
07-31-2002, 08:57 PM
:lastyr: I'm sorry to say this boy's, but that line isn'y going to get it done. Wheres the pass rush?

Dozerdog
07-31-2002, 09:10 PM
We need a defense that will keep us around in games, force a turnover at opportune times, and hold ther opposition to 21 points. I think our O will be pretty potent, so expect some shootouts!

WG
07-31-2002, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I agree Dozer. We're gonna get run on something fierce is my guess. That means whoever's running game controls the game the most in many cases, will be the team that wins. Fortunately, several of the teams we play that have great RBs, also don't have great passing games to complement their rushing games; Cincy, S.D., Chicago, N.E., K.C. While those teams have great rushers, they're one-dimensional until they prove otherwise. We're not. So that's an edge for us.

The teams that we're gonna have to be our best against will be G.B., Miami, and the Jets depending upon who's healthy and who isn't on the Jets.

HenryRules
07-31-2002, 11:48 PM
Alloutblitz, I think our pass rush is gonna come from the same thing as our run defense - numbers. With Clements and Winfield, we can afford to put 8 men in the box to stop the run and send an extra guy or two with the linemen on passing downs. Last year, they didn't have the confidence in our corners to implement such an aggressive front. Now that we have two guys that can shut down, they'll pile people up near the line. I'm not saying that the pass rush or run defense wouldn't be helped immensely by a better line, just that its not only the DL that's going to be responsible for those 2 jobs.

TigerJ
08-01-2002, 01:02 PM
I heard the "numbers" last year. I'm expecting the defense to be marginally better this year, but they're still going to struggle some.

HenryRules
08-01-2002, 01:21 PM
I'm not saying they won't struggle some, just that the DL is not solely responsible for the pass rush or stopping the run.
And last year, we didn't go with #'s as well as we will this year. With Irvin and Winfield at the corners, they couldn't sell out completely with everyone to stuff the box. In order for GW's style defense to work, you need 2 very good corners, at the start of last year, we had one good one and one that shouldn't have been starting and on most teams would be lucky to be #3. Because of that, we couldn't stuff 8 men in the box and because of that, our lineman couldn't play the way the coaching staff likes them (last year, they were still trying to tie up the OL instead of bursting through the gaps). This year, with better corners and safeties more geared towards GW's style defense, they should be able to stack 8 men in the box and have the DL shoot the gaps (which aside from PW, they're all more suited towards doing since they're all somewhat undersized).

crowner
08-01-2002, 02:15 PM
DE-Office DT-Edwards/Robertson/Bannan DT-Willilams DE-Denney