PDA

View Full Version : Andre rison sitting in jail.

ticatfan
12-11-2004, 11:24 AM
Andre Rison sits in the DeKalb County jail in suburban Atlanta today for failing to pay $127,000 (U.S.) in court-ordered child support payments. He could be there for some time.

The former NFL star, who finished the past CFL season with the Argonauts, flew to Atlanta earlier this week for his latest hearing in a dispute with Raycoa Handley, the mother of his two oldest children.

It did not start well.

Randy Kessler, Handley's lawyer, said Rison was late, prompting the judge to re-issue an earlier arrest warrant.

"As we were leaving the courtroom he showed up with about seven guys," Kessler said. "We didn't have to, but we went back in and talked to the judge. But he (Rison) didn't bring any money with him. He just said, `I'm here.'

"I think he knew he'd likely go to jail."

As well as reinstating the original warrant, the judge sentenced Rison to 20 days in jail for criminal contempt for ignoring an August, 2002, order to keep paying $3,500 a month in child support for his 16- and 18-year-old sons.

Rison's manager Bill Theis said Rison was shocked at being tossed behind bars.

"He thought the hearing would be to address the arrears and to settle on a new amount. We feel he was bushwhacked."

Rison is due back in court on Jan. 3. However, he could remain in jail until he agrees to pay up or the judge decides he's done enough time. The jail time will not eliminate his child-support debts, which continue to accumulate along with 12 per cent annual interest.

"This judgment is indefinite or until the judge believes he has no way of paying," said Kessler. "We'll go after his NFL pension, any future earnings, etc. We won't go away."

Theis said Rison flew to Atlanta on Monday for the Wednesday court date hoping to strike a deal to reduce the child support payments, which were assessed in 1993 when he was still earning a handsome NFL salary.

Argo head coach Mike Clemons said Rison told him in an earlier conversation that he wanted to go to court and figure out a "true" payment figure commensurate with his current earnings. "But I think these things are best left up to the courts," Clemons added.

Theis argued that Rison could not continue paying $3,500 a month after being out of football for two years before signing with the Argos for $60,000 (Cdn.). He also received an additional $12,000 (Cdn.) as a Grey Cup championship bonus, even though he did not play.

Theis said Rison does not have any hidden money, as some have speculated. He said an independent, court-ordered audit done for a similar case concerning another son with his ex-wife in Michigan failed to turn up any hidden accounts. The Michigan charge of felony non-support was dismissed.

Kessler said Rison, who met Handley when they were teenagers in Flint, Mich., has made only irregular payments since the original 1993 support order.

"He went one 13-month period without making a payment. He paid her $70,000 three or four years ago after spending six days in jail.

"Between August 2002 and 2004 he paid nothing, zero."

venis2k1
12-11-2004, 11:53 AM
someone ask andre what a pack of condoms cost?

The King
12-11-2004, 11:55 AM
They dont use condoms in jail.

Mr. Cynical
12-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Andre Rison aside for a moment....

Here's something I've never understood about palimony suits....it takes two people to have consensual sex. If the woman gets pregnant and the guy says he doesn't want the child, but the woman does, how is it fair for the guy to have to pay? The other options are abortion and adoption. If you look at it, the woman is making the decision for both of them unilaterally by having the child and keeping it. Seems unfair IMO.

ticatfan
12-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Did he make big money in the NFL and if he did ,is he hiding it or just spent it all.

RedEyE
12-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I pass by that jail on my way to work each day.

Next time I go by, I throw a :lolpoint: Rison, out the window.

capitolneal
12-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Andre Rison aside for a moment....

Here's something I've never understood about palimony suits....it takes two people to have consensual sex. If the woman gets pregnant and the guy says he doesn't want the child, but the woman does, how is it fair for the guy to have to pay? The other options are abortion and adoption. If you look at it, the woman is making the decision for both of them unilaterally by having the child and keeping it. Seems unfair IMO.

This might be the best post I have ever read on this site damn straight forward and to the point :bow: