Anyone still think that our defense is overrated?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drive 4 Five
    • May 2003

Anyone still think that our defense is overrated?

I know the Cleveland Browns are...well...the Cleveland Browns, but they are still a professional football team and we did put one severe ass beating on them. Here are the stats:

Five turnovers, eight sacks, and the browns were held to 17 yards of offense on 46 plays. This was the 5th fewest yards allowed in league history.

Anyone here still think that they are overrated?
  • Crisis
    • Aug 2004

Overrated? No.

Inconsistent? Yes.
    Originally posted by LOSman WINS
    Vanek is Austrian not European
    Originally posted by Prov401
    Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
    Originally posted by better days
    I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
      • May 2003

Originally posted by Crisis
      Overrated? No.

Inconsistent? Yes.
      How do you figure? Even the vaunted Ravens and Steelers defenses have given up yards from time to time, but this fact has been masked by the fact that their offenses were efficient enough to make up the difference.

Comment

• Crisis
        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by bills_fan_atic
        How do you figure? Even the vaunted Ravens and Steelers defenses have given up yards from time to time, but this fact has been masked by the fact that their offenses were efficient enough to make up the difference.
        They gave up 32 to the Phins, and the next week give up 17 total yards to the Browns.

That's inconsistency.
        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
        Vanek is Austrian not European
        Originally posted by Prov401
        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
        Originally posted by better days
        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
          • May 2003

Originally posted by Crisis
          They gave up 32 to the Phins, and the next week give up 17 total yards to the Browns.

That's inconsistency.
          Crisis, I am afraid you may be one of those fans who is never satisfied.

Comment

• finsrclowns
            • Apr 2004

The D was simply amazing today. When you can harass the QB like that you will win almost every time in this league. But get back to me after the Bengal game. If the D can hold that offense to 17 or less I will be completely sold because that is a good offense, although better with Palmer than Kitna. Against better passing teams the D has looked soft at times, and in the 2nd NE game they got dominated. But I love what I'm seeing right now.
            finsrclowns

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

I can see his point though. While I'm not calling for anybody's head on the D, they do need to tighten things up a bit. But they don't concern me all that much. Overall I'm pretty satisfied.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                • May 2003

I think this team continues to grow stronger each week and I am very satisfied with what we have accomplished thus far. Defensively, few teams have played as well as we have. Especially in the 2nd half of games. There are exceptions as Finsrclowns pointed out, but what defense can stake the claim that the have dominated each and every game? The Raven's defense, who scores more than some team's offenses, cannot even make that claim.

Comment

• colin
                  Drew's my hero!
                  • Jul 2002

the funny thing is, we have been down 1 or 2 probowl level secondary players nearly all year. Our back ups for them were really not ready for prime time too.

now that they are in (as our safeties) we are running a D that I would REALLY like to see have another go at the Pats.

only one team has run on us all year, and that was during the egg we laid in New England.

how many Ds stay in the top 5 with the most veteran part of their secondary gone for more than half the season? especially with our poor poor backups

we kick ass on d, best in the NFL right now

Comment

• cordog
                    eat, drink, and be merry
                    • Apr 2003

While i thought the defense played great today, lets be honest, the Cleveland Browns were a bad team BEFORE all of their injuries. They're offensive line right now is pretty much a bunch of practice squad guys, they have a rookie QB, and a couple of fumbling running backs. Dont get me wrong, it was great to watch, and i think this D is good, but Cleveland will not win another game this year, and will end the season losing 10 straight.

Comment

• Demon
                      • Mar 2003

Agreed. The defense has no problems, esspicially now with Vincent playing at saftey. I've NEVER seen this defense this good........ even in the SB era. Sorry guys, but anyone having a problem with this defense will just never be happy.
                      Impossible is Nothing.

Comment

• britbillsfan
                        • Sep 2003

The Ds weakness this year has been in the secondary, with Milloy out early we had no decent safety and the play at those positions hurt us enough so that a W or two early on became Ls (there were other factors, but this was a biggie IMHO).

Against the phins Baker was picked on constantly. Whilst better than the other alternatives that had been used there he is still a rookie and bit too easily on play action passes, especially early on allowing a lot of the yards in that game.

Now we have Vincent in the line up at FS and Milloy at SS this is the best pairing at safety we have had in a long time, perhaps ever. Barring a totally unforeseen drop off in play by Vincent I think that the inconsistancy in defense will all but disappear for some time to come (re-signing P Williams will be a key for continuing excellence next year though).

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                          • May 2003

While I won't put a label on the defense as far as overrated, let's wait until next week when they are up against a real offense to see how good they are. If this defense shuts the Bengals offense down then you can ask your question.

Comment

• bills_fan_atic
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                            While I won't put a label on the defense as far as overrated, let's wait until next week when they are up against a real offense to see how good they are. If this defense shuts the Bengals offense down then you can ask your question.
                            Agreed...

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                              • May 2004

Overrated? No. It is just a rank for this year. If you think this is a defense for the ages, I would disagree. A great defense, yes. However I think that if you could play a game with the greatest offensive team of all time (SB era Bills say) vs this defense, I would think the great offense would hand them their lunch. I just don't think our defense is consistent and disciplined enough to be considered one of the best of all time.

I am very pleased with the Defense but you have to admit they have not been very consistent. But they are definately getter better and now appear to be back at full strength which should be scary for any opposition. I think the Pittsburgh game will be the true test....and the playoffs as well.

We do have one of the best D's in Bills history, just not in NFL history (85 Bears, Steel Curtain, etc etc.)
                              "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                              --Leo Durocher

Comment

Working...
                              X