• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • buffalofan19
    God's gift to the Zone
    • Dec 2004

We all saw Bledsoe "lock" onto Moulds alot

I wonder if there is more to this than we the fans or even the media know. Steve Tasker (take it for what its worth) made a comment on how Eric Moulds, like many wide receivers, has a "cranky" personality, and how throwing a route to him late in the game was just to keep him "interested". I wonder if Moulds is starting to make a big stink about not getting the ball more often and that is why Drew keeps going to him. I am sure Eric Moulds, with his status, is very influential on the play-calling and I wonder if Drew and the coaching staff are going to him alot more than they should just to keep him happy. We all know he does have a huge ego.

I know it sounds like I am making excuses for Drew Bledsoe, but somehow I just don't think a 12 year veteran with his type of experience he would keep falling to such a bad habit without something else influencing him (i.e. a guy like Moulds that keeps bugging him and the coaching staff to give him the ball more).
    Penguins at Sabres Highlight Video 10/10/05
    Sabres at Lightning Highlight Video 10/13/05
    Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 10/20/05
    Rangers at Sabres Highlight Video 10/22/05
    Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 10/29/05
    Maple Leafs at Sabres Highlight Video 11/11/05
    Devils at Sabres Highlight Video 11/15/05
    Sabres at Bruins Highlight Video 11/19/05
    Sabres at Islanders Highlight Video 11/23/05
    Canadiens at Sabres Highlight Video 11/25/05
  • alohabillsfan
    • Sep 2003

It does smell like there has been a change in the Mould Camp? 2 years ago I believe when DB arrived and we were piling up points Moulds had said "they can Double me all day long and long as it allows someone else (Peerless) to be open. I thought that was refreashing in this ego individual stat driven society.

Clump, when did Moulds sign his current deal and when does it run till? Are there any performance bonuses?

Comment

• britbillsfan
      • Sep 2003

Moulds was one on one a lot of the time which is why Bledsoe passed to him a lot early on, as normally Moulds would take advantage of that situation (and but for wayward throws and drops he would have done again).

Comment

• BuffaloJayhawk
        • Aug 2004

it was annoying just how much they were trying to get the ball to Moulds. It was like, ok we are going to throw to him on every down. The Browns blow but they aren't stupid. That INT was all Drewbies fault. Stupid idiot.
        http://www.queencityfc.com/Index.asp <-- Buffalo's Pro Soccer Club!

Comment

• TigerJ
          • Jul 2002

Between Drew's off target throws and Moulds having a bad case of the dropsies, it was pretty pathetic for a while.
          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• mybills
            81 st zoner
            • Jul 2002

It's ridiculous to think that Moulds is only getting the ball to apease him..not when you have plays like yesterday where he ran from the right on a cross pattern for a catch. That was definitely planned, and well executed. Sure, some missed catches were Moulds fault, although once again he's in the endzone with one man coverage on his left, so he cuts right where there were none..but does Drew read that? Nope, he throws to the left anyway and forget it.

Also, defenses have been watching Eric like a hawk in almost every game, and that's where we saw a variety of other guys getting the ball. Yesterday it looked like Moulds wasn't being covered like usual, and that could be the reason he was getting it more.
            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• clumping platelets

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
              Clump, when did Moulds sign his current deal and when does it run till? Are there any performance bonuses?

Signed: 2001
              Ends: after 2006 season

Only performance bonuses are for the Pro Bowl and are 150k in 2004, 175k in 2005, and 200k in 2006

Since he didn't make the Pro Bowl in 2003, the $150,000 for 2004 is considered NLTBE, thus it does not count vs 2004 cap. If he makes it this season, then that $150,000 will become part of the cap adjustment on 2005 and then the $175,000 for 2005 becomes LTBE and counts on 2005 cap.

Basically, Moulds making Pro-Bowl this year adds $325,000 to the 2005 cap

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Interesting comments from Van Pelt and the color commentary. I listened to AVP on the radio during the game, and being there, you see a hell of a lot more beyond the eye of the TV camera.

Early on, the Brown's CB Henry was daring the Bills to throw to Moulds early. One on one coverage, and Henry played nose to nose vs Moulds. One slip, and Moulds is wide open with half the field to play with.

Early on, AVP said "When you see that, you got to check out of whatever play it is and go for it with Moulds". The Bills did, but because Moulds could not hold on to a couple, and could not get seperation, Bledsoe tossed a few away. Bledsoe tried to get Henry to bite on pump fakes to spring Moulds, and that didn't work. That Henry guy had a hell of a day.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TigerJ
                  Between Drew's off target throws and Moulds having a bad case of the dropsies, it was pretty pathetic for a while.

you can say that again.. they both deserved equal blame.. bledsoe was never good.. moulds looks like he has regressed and evans looks much better.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                    Interesting comments from Van Pelt and the color commentary. I listened to AVP on the radio during the game, and being there, you see a hell of a lot more beyond the eye of the TV camera.

Early on, the Brown's CB Henry was daring the Bills to throw to Moulds early. One on one coverage, and Henry played nose to nose vs Moulds. One slip, and Moulds is wide open with half the field to play with.

Early on, AVP said "When you see that, you got to check out of whatever play it is and go for it with Moulds". The Bills did, but because Moulds could not hold on to a couple, and could not get seperation, Bledsoe tossed a few away. Bledsoe tried to get Henry to bite on pump fakes to spring Moulds, and that didn't work. That Henry guy had a hell of a day.
                    Henry was very good...on a few plays he was like a blanket...

that being said, the problem is not DB throwing to EM too much...it is that he is locking on him...there are just plays where you know that is the play...the same is happening with WM...you can start to guess when he is running.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                      • Mar 2004

Moulds could've and should've had 2 TD's. The one went right through his hands, it was thrown pretty good by Drew, the other was a step behind Eric, but still, would you see Marvin Harrison or Randy Moss drop those? Hell no, they would've at least came up with one of those two TD catches.

Comment

• colin
                        Drew's my hero!
                        • Jul 2002

I think it is looking more likely that Moulds will be cut in the off season, not Drew.

I hope he gets his ass in gear for the playoffs, he has been very average this year

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

Something didn't sit well with the beginning of the game. It was very apparent that they were going out of their way to get Moulds the ball. Add that ridiculous effort to the fact that Bledsoe was having an off day, and we're lucky it wasn't worse than 7-3. Luckily everybody got on the same page later, and we ended up crushing them. There was one bad throw, in particular, that Bledsoe threw on Moulds back hip instead of leading him, that should've been a TD. The other was one where Drew actually dropped the ball perfectly, but it went threw Moulds' hands. He should've had two, but oh well. WE WON!! So, I'm very happy.

Comment

• finsrclowns
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by mybills
                            It's ridiculous to think that Moulds is only getting the ball to apease him..
                            It seems to me that Tasker must have been hearing SOMETHING this week to make the comments he did. And if so, this comes on the heels of Moulds remarks about not knowing whether he'd be back next year. Memo to Moulds: SHUT UP AND PLAY.

Bledsoe was off early in the game and he was clearly locking onto Moulds like a laser. Was it the coverage? Probably. But when 7 of the first 10 passes were intended for Moulds, it had to have been in DB's mind to get him the ball a lot and it wouldn't surprise me if Moulds whining was part of it.

But Moulds did not look like a top 15 receiver to me yesterday. He sure wasn't open much. And on a day DB struggled to make good throws Moulds didn't help him any. Some of those incompletions won't go down as "drops" but a $7m receiver has to catch them, although the weather wasn't good for throwing or receiving.

But when you win 37-7 it's all good. Bring on the Bengals!
                            Last edited by finsrclowns; 12-13-2004, 08:51 AM.
                            finsrclowns

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                              that being said, the problem is not DB throwing to EM too much...it is that he is locking on him....
                              drew hater.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X