PDA

View Full Version : The Bills passing rate is near 70% on the season.

WG
11-20-2002, 01:58 AM
The Bills have dropped back to pass 435 times while their running backs have run the ball only 205 times.

The Bills passing frequency is over 2/3 at 68%.

DIHARD2
11-20-2002, 02:33 AM
And your point is???????????? Bledsoe is one of the best passers in the league we have two of the best receivers and a rookie in Reed that can catch. I always played my strength when I played sports and usually won, so why shouldn't G. W. do the same?

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

SoCalBillsFan
11-20-2002, 02:34 AM
But Dihard, henry is also running the ball very well. And if we can do both, we should, because a balanced attack will ALWAYS play to your advantages. Passing will be more effective if the defense doesn't know for sure it is coming.

I'm all for bledsoe, i love the guy, but we need to run the ball to balance the offense and keep the D on their toes. Otherwise as the season goes on, defenses will sit in pass D and our offensive numbers will decline.

Ingtar33
11-20-2002, 10:09 AM
The Raiders are passing at a 66% rate (419pass-217run) and (based on their careers to this date) I'd take Charley Garner over Henry any day.

The Patriots are passing at a 63% rate (401pass-231run) and I'd take Bledsoe over Brady for that type of play calling.

At first glance the Eagles are a fairly balanced team... however they rarely run any planned QB sneaks for McNabb (don't quote me but I think I saw somewhere that the Eagles only averages 1 planned QB sneak a game), so if you were to consider those runs as passes (all but 10 of them for the planned runs), and switch them around you get the eagles passing at 62% *(420pass-258run)

*The actual run-pass balance for the Eagles is 367pass-311run... for a 54% balance. However I achieved the other run-pass number by taking McNabb's runs (63) subtracting 10 games worth of one planned QB sneak (10) then taking the result (53) and switching those from runs to passes... take issue with this all you want, I'm just going by something I heard... does McNabb have more actual planned sneaks this year? Probably... but I know he isn't running 2 or 3 times a game (on a planned sneak).

Just pointing out that the Bills aren't alone with their passing attack.

Typ0
11-20-2002, 10:20 AM
Running the ball is the key to opening up the field for Bledsoe and giving him more time in the pocket. If we don't get a consistent mix of run and pass we will never meet the potential success of this offense. Running on first down more would be a great benefit.

WG
11-20-2002, 01:36 PM
Bottom line is that it hasn't been working.

I keep hearing about our #1, ...er a, make that #2 now, ahh...wait..., ....., #6 now in both points and yards. Originally starting off at 32+ PPG and now at half of that over our last 4.

Let's see what happens from here on out, but if this continues, then I sure can't say I'd rather have Bledsoe passing the ball if all we can manage is 1 TD every game.

I'm not livin' in the past regarding our performances earlier this year against much weaker teams. Nor am I living in it regarding Drew's handful of records. We need some points and we need them now, this week against a tough and resurgent Jets squad.

I would dare speculate that there's not a Bills fan among us who has been satisfied w/ the offensive performances of the past 4 weeks. If so, then that indicates low standards.

colin
11-20-2002, 03:50 PM
Ingtar, I think what one should notice is that all of those teams you mentioned have good talent and are playing under expectations. Passing efficiently for big plays is better than going all out because even for the best teams passing is very volitile. Just a slight increase in our, or probably the other teams, in running would have made the edge in a few close games.