PDA

View Full Version : A play to rip out of the playbook before McGahee gets killed...

Ebenezer
12-13-2004, 07:58 AM
This one has got to be removed...even the Browns had it figured out most of the day...

1 WR (Reed), 2 TE and Shelton in the backfield. We probably saw it 8 times yesterday and I don't think there was anything called out of the formation except a run to Willis. That is just not going to cut it. Everybody in the stadium knew WM was getting the ball. If you are going to play that you need to have EM or LE out there at the flanker spot and you have to throw it once in a while.

Captain gameboy
12-13-2004, 08:17 AM
I would add the fake timeout play into the trash bin as well.

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-13-2004, 08:19 AM
Trick plays only work if the other team buys it. If the Browns would have figured out the reverse to Evans would that play need to be thrown out? If the Browns bought it and got out of their stances, who knows what would happen.

Ebenezer
12-13-2004, 08:20 AM
I would add the fake timeout play into the trash bin as well.
I'll keep it...but don't have DB run it...he didn't sell it at all...he started walking off with 11 on the play clock and looked back at the center just before the snap...you sell that play by walking off with 3 on the clock and walking toward the ref to call time out.

the REAL Rudeman
12-13-2004, 08:22 AM
This one has got to be removed...even the Browns had it figured out most of the day...

1 WR (Reed), 2 TE and Shelton in the backfield. We probably saw it 8 times yesterday and I don't think there was anything called out of the formation except a run to Willis. That is just not going to cut it. Everybody in the stadium knew WM was getting the ball. If you are going to play that you need to have EM or LE out there at the flanker spot and you have to throw it once in a while.

Agreed. And besides, we need more flea-flickers.

Dozerdog
12-13-2004, 08:24 AM
I said this when GW was coach-

Trick plays should only be used if you need momentum in a game. When trick plays fail, the momentum shifts the other way.

If you have momentum, then don't waste the trick play & element of suprise when you do need or try one.

justasportsfan
12-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Mularkey should involve Dorenbos in all of the trick plays. DUH!!!! :shakeno:

Ebenezer
12-13-2004, 09:40 AM
can we get back to the original post???

this was not to be meant as a thread about trick plays...it was meant to show that the Bills are getting predictable.

Ingtar33
12-13-2004, 09:43 AM
The Bills aren't using the trick plays to be game breakers, they're using them to keep the defense honest. Just how they are working, is we give the defense the same looks over and over again, run identical plays from multiple formations, get them complacent, and thinking they have a read on what we are doing, then show them what they expect, and pull a rabbit out of the hat.

This has two effects. One, it lets us run the plays we run best, and run them successfully, mostly because while the defense knows its coming they have to play it honest, so they don't get caught. Two, sometimes it breaks something big (like Evans’s reverse).

That's just plain old good coaching.

Ingtar33
12-13-2004, 09:46 AM
BTW: the Bills run maybe 12 different plays all game (not counting the trick plays). They just use different formations to make them look different. The trick plays are necessary to keep the defense on it's heels.

clumping platelets
12-13-2004, 09:48 AM
I guess this means the page stays :snicker:

Ebenezer
12-13-2004, 09:58 AM
BTW: the Bills run maybe 12 different plays all game (not counting the trick plays). They just use different formations to make them look different. The trick plays are necessary to keep the defense on it's heels.
but out of that formation (mentioned above) all they do it run to McGahee...it is pretty obvious.

Drive 4 Five
12-13-2004, 10:07 AM
can we get back to the original post???This was not to be meant as a thread about trick plays...it was meant to show that the Bills are getting predictable.

The thing about predictability is that it really does not matter if the defense knows what you are doing, in theory, if executed properly, it cannot be stopped.

As for this specific formation, perhaps it is viewed as the best personnel in which to successfully run the ball when you need that crucial 3rd & short and the defense knows you are going to run?

Ingtar33
12-13-2004, 10:26 AM
but out of that formation (mentioned above) all they do it run to McGahee...it is pretty obvious.

I've little doubt something odd will come from that formation some week. Trust me, other NFL coaches will look at that and say "all they do is run McGahee." In essence this line proves my point. Trick plays don't work if teams don't come to this conclusion.

MikeInRoch
12-16-2004, 12:12 PM

I have a close relative who is an NFL coach who said that Drew plays much better when there is a small playbook - or at least when he was in New England that was the case.

jamze132
12-16-2004, 01:36 PM
I think we should rip out the play where Drew pats his hands together waiting, waiting, and waiting for Moulds to break double coverage. How many times does Willis shed his block at the line and drop out into the flat with no one within 10 yards of him? The answer is... Quite a few!

jamze132
12-16-2004, 01:37 PM
I think we should rip out the play where Drew pats his hands together waiting, waiting, and waiting for Moulds to break double coverage. How many times does Willis shed his block at the line and drop out into the flat with no one within 10 yards of him? The answer is... Quite a few!

Just to caveat that... I also am in favor of ripping out the play where Drew goes into the huddle.

jamze132
12-16-2004, 02:19 PM
I have a close relative who is an NFL coach who said that Drew plays much better when there is a small playbook - or at least when he was in New England that was the case.

Well, I just happen to have a Mexican staring frog from southern Sri Lanka as a pet that informed me that in order for Drew to be effective he has to stick his thumb up Teagues a$$ before every snap. Problem is that Teague doesn't really appreciate that so Drew will suck.

jamze132
12-16-2004, 02:21 PM

MikeInRoch, I am not ripping on you, just incase it was perceived that way. I always look for a way to sneak in a Drewbash or Natebash whenever possible.

NapalmDeath
12-17-2004, 01:16 AM
I always look for a way to sneak in a Drewbash or Natebash whenever possible.

Well when they deserve it fine, but just to bash for the sake of bashing is assinine