PDA

View Full Version : How about this analogy? Does it work?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
12-13-2004, 10:14 AM
There is some continuing debate over Drew's ability to perform as a starting NFL QB. It seems to have become more of an issue since we are in the thick of a race for the final wildcard spot.

Drew's stats have not been great. He has played in some inclement weather but those who know Drew know that inclement weather has not usually been as much of an issue for him as it is for other QBs.

I don't believe you can toss other factors aside (Eric Moulds' recent play has not been up to his usual level, OL injuries, no good TE in the lineup, etc etc), but clearly Drew is not having his best year.

Here's the analogy and yes I know they are two different sports so save that keen observation...

Let's say you are the Red Sox...Pedro has been the man for quite a while. Has been great at times, not great at others. Let's say Pedro is still with the Sox this year...let's say he just isn't getting the K's and is walking more batters...he has the speed on his fastball but the sinker isn't dropping quite as nicely and the curve is not as sharp. Pedro is giving his all but it is clear it is not his year. You know he has the stuff if he could just summon up something to jumpstart it. Even through his average play...your team is winning. Not always pretty but getting it done. The D has stepped up and got Pedro out of some jams. The team is playing like a team because they know they can't rely on Pedro to just take over games.

NOW--given that scenario....when you are in the hunt at the all star break and know you are gonna need to win a lot of games....do you trade Pedro for a young highly skilled but unproven stud? Or do you stick with the savvy old vet and hope the D keeps up their great play? :bikerbabe

In my opinion, any thought of pulling Drew at this point in the season (no matter how lackluster his stats are) is just not feasible.

Drew is doing enough to score points, and he is not playing stupid football. Yes, his skills have diminished a bit. But he is still a good QB and if you ask me...I want him as the starter if we make the playoffs. He is a leader and now that the team believes in themselves, they can overcome his weaknesses.

Drive 4 Five
12-13-2004, 10:32 AM
Absolutley. Here is the thing. It is not as if we have any other choice. I really don't know what the **** people expect. Some people can and never will be satisfied no matter how well Bledsoe plays. The way I see it, he is our quarterback, he gives us the best chance to win at this point. Secondly, we all know that he is capable of having those games that just leave you in absolute amazement and also bewilderment because you can't figure out why he can't be more consistent. Anything can happen and if everyone does their part, this team can go far. Once again. Drew gives us our best chance so we may as well support him until it is all over and then everyone can start their complaining and say I told you so. Until it is over, I will support Bledsoe and would much rather have him at this point than alot of the other quarterbacks playing in this league.