X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Former Bills make 'overated' list

Imagine a football team that included 14 players who were first-round draft picks and 15 players who had been selected to a combined 57 Pro Bowls. With all that talent, you'd think it would be a Super Bowl lock. What we have, instead, is the NFL's all-overrated team.

Peerless Price, Falcons. To acquire Price in 2003, Atlanta traded a first-round pick to Buffalo and gave Price a big contract. The Falcons have not reaped nearly enough from their investment. Price is fast and quick, but sometimes he runs out of control, and he hasn't made enough big plays for someone who is supposed to be a No. 1 receiver.
    Ruben Brown, Bears. Some scouts think Brown, whose season was ended in late November by a neck injury, has been living off his reputation as an eight-time Pro Bowl player. When he pulls and gets out in space, he is an athletic lineman. When he's asked to anchor inside and be physical, he doesn't do as well.
    Marcellus Wiley, Cowboys. Jerry Jones paid Wiley big bucks to come in and be a three-down, high-impact end who could both stop the run and rush the passer. It took Wiley 11 weeks to come up with his first sack of the season.
    The complete list (including a current Dolphin )
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!
  • BAM
    • Sep 2003

I agree with all three of those.

Comment

• juice
      • Aug 2003

Yeah Ruben was overrated all 8 Pro Bowl years.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• Dozerdog
        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
        • Jul 2002

I don't get it.

Ruben Brown definately justified and played beyond his expected potential even as a #1 overall pick for years. Now that he's old, been cut, and playing as a sometimes backup, sometimes starter (now injured) he's overrated? Did I miss something or is he going back to a pro bowl?

Comment

• Gunzlingr
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
          Yeah Ruben was overrated all 8 Pro Bowl years.
          How did I know that Juice would give his unbiased and fact based opinion??
          You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
            I don't get it.

Ruben Brown definately justified and played beyond his expected potential even as a #1 overall pick for years. Now that he's old, been cut, and playing as a sometimes backup, sometimes starter (now injured) he's overrated? Did I miss something or is he going back to a pro bowl?
            I don't either..."has been living off his reputation as an eight-time Pro Bowl player"...makes it sound like he is a 14 year vet who hasn't made the probowl in 5 years...wasn't last year number 8?

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Michael82
              • Jul 2002

I love this one...

Zach Thomas, Dolphins. A tough, blue-collar player who is undersized (5-11, 230) for a middle linebacker, Thomas can make a ton of tackles when he's protected by his defensive linemen. When he doesn't get that protection, he can become lost in space.

But I totally disagree with calling Brian Urlacher overrated. I'd take him on our defense.

Comment

• FTG
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Mikey82

But I totally disagree with calling Brian Urlacher overrated. I'd take him on our defense.

they are right.........he's overated
                Drew Bledsoe ****ing sucks

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

I agree that Urlacher is over-rated. It's not a coincidence his #'s have not been as good since big Ted left

Comment

• ShadowHawk7
                    Ground your Jets Vilma, no way you're shooting this guy down.
                    • Mar 2003

I don't think Dre Bly is overrated IMO.
                    "It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game."
                    -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Philagape
                      WIN NOW
                      • Jul 2002

Isn't being voted to the Pro Bowl one way a player is overRATED? By definition, one can't be overRATED unless he is rated highly in some way, such as going to the Pro Bowl
                      "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                      2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• Dozerdog
                        In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                        • Jul 2002

Eb's got it backwards.

The point is, he's not going to the Pro Bowl, he's not even a lock as starter. He's making a few bucks over the vet minumum. It's not like Damien Woody who inked a $24 million contract. How do you get over rated for that?

The writer here is a year or more behind.

Comment

• juice
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                          Eb's got it backwards.

The point is, he's not going to the Pro Bowl, he's not even a lock as starter. He's making a few bucks over the vet minumum. It's not like Damien Woody who inked a $24 million contract. How do you get over rated for that?

The writer here is a year or more behind.
                          Brown was one of the Bears most effective starters, and he took the season starters position on the depth chart before his injury.

How does that make him over-rated.

"Hey, I was always aggressive. I always had lots of energy, thats why my teammates on the Bills started calling me Juice" PLAYBOY Dec.'76

Comment

• NapalmDeath
                            • Aug 2004

I agree with the entire list

Hey Juice, do honestly think that Ruben didn't make his last 2 pro-bowls on reputation? He was pro-bowl caliber at one point, but he was average at best his last 2 years in Buffalo.

There's truth to the saying Buffalo is a drinking town with a football problem, where a passionate fan base believes it has more answers than Ken Jennings on "Jeopardy."

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by juice
                              Brown was one of the Bears most effective starters, and he took the season starters position on the depth chart before his injury.

How does that make him over-rated.
                              Have you seen the Bear O line? Brown is the tallest midget.

Urlacher has been dinged up all year. Pulled a hammy in preseason and hasn't gotten over it. Anybody who calls him overrated is stupid.

Comment

Working...
                              X