PDA

View Full Version : Former Bills make 'overated' list

Gunzlingr
12-13-2004, 02:07 PM
Imagine a football team that included 14 players who were first-round draft picks and 15 players who had been selected to a combined 57 Pro Bowls. With all that talent, you'd think it would be a Super Bowl lock. What we have, instead, is the NFL's all-overrated team.

Peerless Price, Falcons. To acquire Price in 2003, Atlanta traded a first-round pick to Buffalo and gave Price a big contract. The Falcons have not reaped nearly enough from their investment. Price is fast and quick, but sometimes he runs out of control, and he hasn't made enough big plays for someone who is supposed to be a No. 1 receiver.

Ruben Brown, Bears. Some scouts think Brown, whose season was ended in late November by a neck injury, has been living off his reputation as an eight-time Pro Bowl player. When he pulls and gets out in space, he is an athletic lineman. When he's asked to anchor inside and be physical, he doesn't do as well.

Marcellus Wiley, Cowboys. Jerry Jones paid Wiley big bucks to come in and be a three-down, high-impact end who could both stop the run and rush the passer. It took Wiley 11 weeks to come up with his first sack of the season.

The complete list (including a current Dolphin :snicker: ) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=thealloverratedteam&prov=tsn&type=lgns)

BAM
12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree with all three of those.

juice
12-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Yeah Ruben was overrated all 8 Pro Bowl years.

Dozerdog
12-13-2004, 02:12 PM
I don't get it.

Ruben Brown definately justified and played beyond his expected potential even as a #1 overall pick for years. Now that he's old, been cut, and playing as a sometimes backup, sometimes starter (now injured) he's overrated? Did I miss something or is he going back to a pro bowl?

Gunzlingr
12-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah Ruben was overrated all 8 Pro Bowl years.
How did I know that Juice would give his unbiased and fact based opinion??

Ebenezer
12-13-2004, 02:40 PM
I don't get it.

Ruben Brown definately justified and played beyond his expected potential even as a #1 overall pick for years. Now that he's old, been cut, and playing as a sometimes backup, sometimes starter (now injured) he's overrated? Did I miss something or is he going back to a pro bowl?
I don't either..."has been living off his reputation as an eight-time Pro Bowl player"...makes it sound like he is a 14 year vet who hasn't made the probowl in 5 years...wasn't last year number 8?

Michael82
12-13-2004, 02:58 PM
I love this one...:snicker:

Zach Thomas, Dolphins. A tough, blue-collar player who is undersized (5-11, 230) for a middle linebacker, Thomas can make a ton of tackles when he's protected by his defensive linemen. When he doesn't get that protection, he can become lost in space.

But I totally disagree with calling Brian Urlacher overrated. I'd take him on our defense.

FTG
12-13-2004, 03:22 PM
But I totally disagree with calling Brian Urlacher overrated. I'd take him on our defense.

they are right.........he's overated

don137
12-13-2004, 03:27 PM
I agree that Urlacher is over-rated. It's not a coincidence his #'s have not been as good since big Ted left

ShadowHawk7
12-13-2004, 04:05 PM
I don't think Dre Bly is overrated IMO.

Philagape
12-13-2004, 04:27 PM
Isn't being voted to the Pro Bowl one way a player is overRATED? By definition, one can't be overRATED unless he is rated highly in some way, such as going to the Pro Bowl

Dozerdog
12-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Eb's got it backwards.

The point is, he's not going to the Pro Bowl, he's not even a lock as starter. He's making a few bucks over the vet minumum. It's not like Damien Woody who inked a $24 million contract. How do you get over rated for that?

The writer here is a year or more behind.

juice
12-13-2004, 07:19 PM
Eb's got it backwards.

The point is, he's not going to the Pro Bowl, he's not even a lock as starter. He's making a few bucks over the vet minumum. It's not like Damien Woody who inked a $24 million contract. How do you get over rated for that?

The writer here is a year or more behind.Brown was one of the Bears most effective starters, and he took the season starters position on the depth chart before his injury.

How does that make him over-rated.

NapalmDeath
12-14-2004, 01:24 AM
I agree with the entire list

Hey Juice, do honestly think that Ruben didn't make his last 2 pro-bowls on reputation? He was pro-bowl caliber at one point, but he was average at best his last 2 years in Buffalo.

Earthquake Enyart
12-14-2004, 06:46 AM
Brown was one of the Bears most effective starters, and he took the season starters position on the depth chart before his injury.

How does that make him over-rated.
Have you seen the Bear O line? Brown is the tallest midget.

Urlacher has been dinged up all year. Pulled a hammy in preseason and hasn't gotten over it. Anybody who calls him overrated is stupid.

Forward_Lateral
12-14-2004, 06:50 AM
Have you seen the Bear O line? Brown is the tallest midget.

Urlacher has been dinged up all year. Pulled a hammy in preseason and hasn't gotten over it. Anybody who calls him overrated is stupid.

Can't recall what game it was, a few weeks ago, but Ulracher was playing with the bum hammy that you are talking about, and he was still all over the place, I think it was vs Minnesotta. Not sure, but he didn't look over rated to me, he looked more like Defensive player of the year.