PDA

View Full Version : Bills up to 10th in ESPN Power Rankings

EDS
12-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Amazing thing is that the Bills have gotten 18 touchdowns from first year players (obviously, I am counting McGahee as a first year).

Jan Reimers
12-14-2004, 12:18 PM
That's about where we should be. No team in this league wants to play us right now.

SABURZFAN
12-14-2004, 12:20 PM
if not for the poor September,we'd be a top 5 team.we need to keep winning and we still need a lot of help.

Pride
12-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I do not feel we are a top 10 team. Top 15, maybe, certainly not top 10!

Try not to mistake our recent success as making us a challenger! We beat some REALLY bad teams! (Miami, Cleveland, Arizona to name a few). Until we beat a team with a winning record, I wouldn't get too excited.

justasportsfan
12-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I do not feel we are a top 10 team. Top 15, maybe, certainly not top 10!

Try not to mistake our recent success as making us a challenger! We beat some REALLY bad teams! (Miami, Cleveland, Arizona to name a few). Until we beat a team with a winning record, I wouldn't get too excited.I agree although we have gotten better , the hawks and Rams are pretenders and the Browns and fins suck. We could very well be pretenders making a run as well.

NC-BILLS44
12-14-2004, 12:30 PM

Try not to mistake our recent success as making us a challenger! We beat some REALLY bad teams! (Miami, Cleveland, Arizona to name a few). Until we beat a team with a winning record, I wouldn't get too excited.

:clap:

Kenny
12-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Here are some other rankings:

NFL.com ---> Bills dont even crack the top12!!! :fury: (Carruci is a dumbass)

CBSsportsline ---> Bills rank #12
Pete Prisco: "It's hard to believe this is the same team that opened 1-4. The defense is playing well and the offense is coming alive"

FoxSports ---> Bills rank #11
"Some might be shocked at ranking Buffalo this high, but the Bills are averaging 39 points a game the last three weeks now that the coaches have figured out how to protect QB Drew Bledsoe. First-year players RB Willis McGahee and WR Lee Evans are breaking out. Some might be shocked at ranking Buffalo this high, but the Bills are averaging 39 points a game the last three weeks now that the coaches have figured out how to protect QB Drew Bledsoe. First-year players RB Willis McGahee and WR Lee Evans are breaking out"

I actually do believe we should be ranked at around #10 or #11... Look around the league and try and list more than ten other teams that are better than us.

Pride
12-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Definately Better
-----------------
New England
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Philadelphia
Denver
Carolina
San Diego
Green Bay
Houston
Baltimore

Possibly Better
--------------
Vikings
Falcons
Buccaneers
Jets
Bengals

Mahdi
12-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Definately Better
-----------------
New England
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Philadelphia
Denver
Carolina
San Diego
Green Bay
Houston
Baltimore

Possibly Better
--------------
Vikings
Falcons
Buccaneers
Jets
Bengals
Denver, Houston, Carolina, how do you figure them to be definitely better than us?

EDS
12-14-2004, 01:07 PM
Not sure what your rating methodology is, and Carolina and Houston are fine teams, but don't see how they classify as definitely better then the Bills. Carolina is on a nice run and you can make the argument, but Houston? They are not playing as well as they did early in the season. Vikings are in a tailspin as well.

Guess we will know about Cinncinati this weekend.

Pride
12-14-2004, 01:11 PM
Not sure what your rating methodology is, and Carolina and Houston are fine teams, but don't see how they classify as definitely better then the Bills. Carolina is on a nice run and you can make the argument, but Houston? They are not playing as well as they did early in the season. Vikings are in a tailspin as well.

Guess we will know about Cinncinati this weekend.
As for Houston... they have either beaten, or almost beaten some VERY good teams (San Diego for 1). They played Indy close this weekend too!

Carolina has been playing spirited football even though they lost 22 starters either due to FA, trade, or injury since last years SB.

EDS
12-14-2004, 01:16 PM
As for Houston... they have either beaten, or almost beaten some VERY good teams (San Diego for 1). They played Indy close this weekend too!

Carolina has been playing spirited football even though they lost 22 starters either due to FA, trade, or injury since last years SB.

Not that it matters, but Houston lost to SD in week 1. They have beaten KC, Oakland, Tennessee x2 and Jacksonville.

venis2k1
12-14-2004, 01:25 PM
I think we are better than cincy, SF, and Pitt.

THATHURMANATOR
12-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Denver, Houston, Carolina, how do you figure them to be definitely better than us?

Seriously. Denver has been playing like crap lately, Houston? What is their record? Carolina has been playing well with injuries but that is just another reason why they are not definitly better than us.

The King
12-14-2004, 01:56 PM
I give Carolina a lot of credit for what they have been able to do. 3rd string RB their biggest weapon on offense is out, they are still playing good football. :up: John Fox and Co.

jbisset
12-14-2004, 07:04 PM
Our O line is playing a little better. Coach’s game plans have improved. We are a better team than we were in Sept. We still have holes but these ranking proves so does a lot of other teams. I believe we are a top 15 team today. September I figure we would only win 4 to 7 games. Guess I was wrong. Poor Dallas...LOL

G. Host
12-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Bills were probably top 10 team considering how weak NFC is before injuries to Campbell, Euhus and Trey. Hopefully Trey is not hurt too bad and Mike Williams can play. Henry they must figure will play since he is not on IR. Bills need to learn to play without those players.

helmetguy
12-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Since the 0-4 start-particularly after the abyssmal finish to last season that began with so much promise-perceptions die hard. Without wholesale personnel changes on the roster, this team has, to the utter amazement of many, become a force to be reckoned with. The biggest difference between this season and the previous two is that, whereas Gilbride addressed the offense as eleven entities, Mularkey, Clements, McNally and Wyche made it a single entity much greater than the sum of the parts. Same goes for the other aspects. Whereas, it used to be one unit had to bail out the other, the current approach is for each unit to bolster the other. That is, STs set up the offense with better field position. Or, it can set up the defense by putting the opponent in poorer field position. Or, the offense putting up points to allow the defense to be more aggressive. The defense getting takeaways sets up the offense for more chances to score. Sounds pretty simple, doesn't it? Sure, it took four to six weeks into the regular season to start realizing that. Just the same, they had at least two years' worth of messes to clean up.

Mr. Cynical
12-14-2004, 10:08 PM

Try not to mistake our recent success as making us a challenger! We beat some REALLY bad teams! (Miami, Cleveland, Arizona to name a few). Until we beat a team with a winning record, I wouldn't get too excited.It's not just you. You are thinking logically given the teams we have beaten (as you pointed out). However, contrary to what some people think, I'm happy with the way the team is progressing. Most everyone on the team is fairly young, so this presents a hopeful future. Hopeful this year? Well, like you said, let's see how we do against winning teams first before getting too excited.

Canadian'eh!
12-14-2004, 10:15 PM
I think a lto of this has to do with how poorly some of the "top" teams have been.. have you SEEN denver lately.... if they make the playoffs over us i will be disgusted.

the Jets are not all they are hyped up to be either. Basically they have just won the games they should win and that's been enough to get them where they are. Does anyone honestly think they can beat Pit, Indy or NE in the playoffs?

i know you could say the same thing for us, I'm just saying it's also true for them. and for th record the way we are playing i think we have just as good or better a chance than the jets.

Parrotfish
12-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Definately Better
-----------------
New England
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Philadelphia
Denver
Carolina
San Diego
Green Bay
Houston
Baltimore

Possibly Better
--------------
Vikings
Falcons
Buccaneers
Jets
Bengals
I think you're a bit off base. You can definitely take out Denver,Carolina, Houston ,Tampa,Cincinatti and probably the Jets as well. We split with NYJ and the loss was by 2 points on the road no less. WM played only the second half, and that is where our turnaround began. NYJ only TD came off a questionable PI call that placed the ball at the 1. You're being a little generous to the Jets.None of these teams is playing BETTER than the Bills right now.

NapalmDeath
12-15-2004, 01:07 AM
Definately Better
-----------------
New England
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Philadelphia
Denver
Carolina
San Diego
Green Bay
Houston
Baltimore

Possibly Better
--------------
Vikings
Falcons
Buccaneers
Jets
Bengals

Your list should look like this IMO:

Definatly Better
NE
Philly
Pissburgh (We'll see how they fare in Buffalo though)
Indy

Possibly Better
Baltimore (yes we lost to them, but I would love to play them now)
Green Bay
Atlanta
San Diego

The rest of the teams you have listed are not better
Jets
Carolina (On a roll like the Bills though)
Denver (maybe earlier in the year, but not now)
Houston
Vikings (Remind me a lot of Miami lately)
The Bucs
Bengals

G. Host
12-15-2004, 01:18 AM
A couple of interesting quotes:

Browns - Seventeen total yards? Seems almost impossible.
Sportscasters got what they wanted - high scoring game AND great defense making plays

Dolphins - Will the Dolphins finally be the team that is able to lure Nick Saban back to the NFL.
I hope not!

NapalmDeath
12-15-2004, 01:43 AM
A couple of interesting quotes:

Bengals - Seventeen total yards? Seems almost impossible.
Sportscasters got what they wanted - high scoring game AND great defense making plays

Dolphins - Will the Dolphins finally be the team that is able to lure Nick Saban back to the NFL.
I hope not!

Don't you mean the Browns on that first one? The Bills haven't played Cinci yet

Tatonka
12-15-2004, 07:31 AM
i agree.

Your list should look like this IMO:

Definatly Better
NE
Philly
Pissburgh (We'll see how they fare in Buffalo though)
Indy

Possibly Better
Baltimore (yes we lost to them, but I would love to play them now)
Green Bay
Atlanta
San Diego

The rest of the teams you have listed are not better
Jets
Carolina (On a roll like the Bills though)
Denver (maybe earlier in the year, but not now)
Houston
Vikings (Remind me a lot of Miami lately)
The Bucs
Bengals

ShadowHawk7
12-15-2004, 10:03 AM
AND we shot down the Browns to the last and definitley least 32 spot.

don137
12-15-2004, 12:16 PM

I am not sold on Houston. They beat San Diego very early in the season and the Chargers are playing on a different level than they were earlier in the year. Almost beating Indy at home doesn't hold a ton of value because if you are a good team you should beat everyone at home.
Denver has not looked good at all lately. They almost lost at home to the fins and lost there two previous games before that
Carolina does deserve credit for winning 5 games in a row however they have not dominated there opponent and have not played any great teams. It is impressive to win with 14 guys on the IR but I would say they are better...
I am also not sold that at this point in the season Buffalo is not better than Baltimore.
Why I feel Buffalo is better than those teams. They are healthier, more balanced offensively, defensively & on special teams than those teams. They have played inferior opponents however they not just beat them they beat them soundly. Big difference. I also feel the Bills are playing with as much confidence right now as they have in the last 5 years. Believe you can win is very important. I don't believe Denver and Houston have that mentality.
I am not saying they deserve to be top 10 but they are better than those three teams and deserve somewhere in the 10-12 range. They are playing better football than probably 25 teams right now but need to factor in the whole season.

G. Host
12-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Don't you mean the Browns on that first one? The Bills haven't played Cinci yet

Yep I made a mistake. Couldn't copy it directly since it was a table and I guess I have this weekend's game on the brain. Either that I am used to thinking Bungles as being perpetual losers. Oops! :blush: