PDA

View Full Version : The way to beat the Jets

Mr. Miyagi
11-20-2002, 12:55 PM
This weekend's game against the Jets, IMO, is a make-or-break game. We MUST march into New York (well, New Jersey technically) and take that win in order to stay alive in the playoff picture. The question is, how DO we beat the Jets?

Bills Offense vs Jets Defense
The Bills are ranked 11th in the AFC in offense, with average 97.2 yards/game. We have a QB in Bledsoe who has the second highest passing yards in the league, and two prolific receivers in Moulds and Price who are among the top 10 receivers in the league. The Bills are ranked #2 in the AFC in the passing game (277.5 yards/game, 18 TDs), and #11 in rushing (97.2 yards/game, 10 TDs).

Matched up against the Jets defense, which is AFC's second to worst in total defense, allowing 362.1 yards/game, of which 226.1 yards/game is through the air (12 TDs allowed) and 136.0 yards/game on the ground (13 TDs allowed). Their takeaway-giveaway ratio is 16-16.

Analyzing the stats, it makes a lot of sense to attack them through the air and run a few down their throats. Our offense can clearly pick this defense apart.

Jets Offense vs Bills Defense
The Jets offense is ranked #10 in the AFC of 16 teams, averaging 99.6 yards/game. Their passing game is mediocre, #9 in the conference with 209.6 yards/game and 13 TDs. Their rushing offense is not much better, ranked #10 in the AFC with 99.6 yards/game and only 6 TDs.

Matched up with the Bills' D, which is ranked #12 in the AFC allowing 344.1 yards/game, it seems like a break-even. The Bills passing D is mediocre as well, ranked #8 in the conference with 215.5 yards allowed per game and 19 TDs. Our rushing D is even worse, allowing 128.6 yards/game and 12 TDs. The takeaway-giveaway ratio is 11-13.

Looks like the Jets will have to play a relatively balanced offense via both Pennington's arm and Martin's legs. The Bills D will allow points for sure, but let's hope we can keep them in check.

In summary, the way to win this game in my opinion is to plain OUTSCORE them.

Cntrygal
11-20-2002, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanStuckInWisc
This weekend's game against the Jets, IMO, is a make-or-break game. We MUST march into New York (well, New Jersey technically) and take that win in order to stay alive in the playoff picture.

I agree.. it's a must win. IMO, we need to win the next three before hosting the Chargers. They are going to be tough.... "Jets, fish, and then pats".

RedEyE
11-20-2002, 07:56 PM
2 weeks ago, I never would have guessed that Buffalo would be tied with the Jets going into this game. Jets have the momentum. The loser of this game is guaranteed to be watching the playoffs from the house.

shelby
11-20-2002, 09:32 PM
keeping stupid :angry:ing penalties to a minimum wouldn't hurt either.

:gobills:

WG
11-20-2002, 10:39 PM
The Jets are playing quite a bit better than those stats now too. Their ugly beginning is in there too. Over their last three it's a completely different story. They're playing tough ball allowing less than 13 PPG and scoring almost 30 over their last three.

Should be interesting. I have no idea what to expect. That's the way the Bills are playing this season.

TigerJ
11-20-2002, 11:33 PM
BillsFanStuckInWisc. "In summary, the way to win this game in my opinion is to plain OUTSCORE them."

In the final analysis, you have a flair for the obvious. LOL

85inthehall
11-21-2002, 07:55 AM
In order to evaluate the Jets you have to look at pre Chad and now with Chad:

First Five Last Five

Record 1-4 4-1

Rush Yds/G 77.6 121.6

Rush Yds Allowed/G 190.8 78.6

Avg. Offensive Plays 53 60

Avg. Time of Poss. 25:09 32:50

Avg. Defensive Plays 67 58

Offensive Turnovers 12 4

Defensive Takeaways 6 10

Also Coles has been more productive over the last 6 games than Moulds over the same span. So the Jets are clicking. If not for 2 defensive lapses - clev. and KC - they would be on a six game winning streak. They have led or been ahead in the 4th quarter of the last 6 games winning 4. The Bills of lost 2 straight and failed to score 2 TD in either of the losses.
AFC East games are always hard fought battles. Look for a close game but I don't think the Bills are protecting Bledsoe well enough and the offense is struggling. Jets win 24 - 20.

ublinkwescore
11-21-2002, 11:07 AM
There's no way that we're ranked 11th in offense in the AFC. We aren't even ranked 11th in all of the NFL in total offense.

wharfrat
11-21-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by shelby
keeping stupid :angry:ing penalties to a minimum wouldn't hurt either.

:gobills:

Interesting point shelby... keep in mind the refs seem to really like the Jets at the meadowlands.... :scared:

BTW....your title is hysterical :lol:

Mr. Miyagi
11-21-2002, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by TigerJ
BillsFanStuckInWisc. "In summary, the way to win this game in my opinion is to plain OUTSCORE them."

In the final analysis, you have a flair for the obvious. LOL
I guess I didn't see that one coming. That's true. But you know what I meant. :)