PDA

View Full Version : Compensation pick(s)?

clumping platelets
12-15-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally, I believed that the Bills would qualify for a compensation pick. Mainly for the loss of CB Antoine Winfield. However, in working on my early cap outlook for 2005 (posting it soon), I've come across the FA gains/FA losses of the Bills and I'm not as confident. Remember, in order to be a part of the compensation formula, a player must be an actual UFA, not a player released from a team due to cap reasons and subsequently signed by another team. Not all players, even though UFA, count. Vet minimum players usually do not end up counting in the formula. Usually, the main factors are player compensation (i.e. money) and performance.

Bills lost: CB Winfield, FB Gash, RB Morris, LB Polk, CB Sidney

Bills gained: G Villarrial, CB Vincent, QB Matthews, OL L. Smith, FB Shelton

Gash was released by NO before the season started; CB Sidney is on Lions IR; Morris has played part of the season but missed much due to injury with the Fins; Polk has been a reserve player on Texans D and SpT; Winfield had started til recently being injured. PLayed most of the season and actually has 3 INTs :rofl:

Thus, remove Gash and Sidney from formula

Villarrial has played well and has not missed any games; Vincent missed 9 games; Matthews is a vet min player who has little PT; OL L. Smith does not qualify because he was not an UFA, he was a PS player for Ravens not re-signed; FB Shelton does not qulaify because he was released in 2003 and sat out the year.

Thus, remove Matthews, L. Smith, and Shelton from formula

Gains: Villarrial and Vincent

Losses: Winfield, Morris, and Polk

Clearly, Winfield signed the ridiculous contract with Vikings. Both Villarrial and Vincent signed market value deals for players at their stage of career. Morris and Polk were signed as role players. I'm not gonna get into the contract details, but Bills lost one more player than gained. They are getting a full season from Villarrial and partial season from Vincent. Neither will make Pro Bowl. Winfield is having an average year IMO, neither Morris or Polk are producing much for their respective teams.

In the end, the best the Bills can expect is a 5th IF the contract/performance for Winfield outweighs the contract/performance for Villarrial. It's also possible for the Bills to get only a 7th if Winfield/Polk outweighs Villarrial/Vincent. Then the loss of Morris would potentially yield a 7th.

Other points: NFL only awards a total of 32 comp picks, equal to 1 rd of the draft. Teams can receive a max. of 4 comp picks. This must be a part of formula as well. It's possible that these constraints prevent the Bills from receiving any comp pick

Right now, I'm hedging my bet on a 7th rd pick

Ebenezer
12-15-2004, 08:55 AM
Originally, I believed that the Bills would qualify for a compensation pick. Mainly for the loss of CB Antoine Winfield. However, in working on my early cap outlook for 2005 (posting it soon), I've come across the FA gains/FA losses of the Bills and I'm not as confident. Remember, in order to be a part of the compensation formula, a player must be an actual UFA, not a player released from a team due to cap reasons and subsequently signed by another team. Not all players, even though UFA, count. Vet minimum players usually do not end up counting in the formula. Usually, the main factors are player compensation (i.e. money) and performance.

Bills lost: CB Winfield, FB Gash, RB Morris, LB Polk, CB Sidney

Bills gained: G Villarrial, CB Vincent, QB Matthews, OL L. Smith, FB Shelton

Gash was released by NO before the season started; CB Sidney is on Lions IR; Morris has played part of the season but missed much due to injury with the Fins; Polk has been a reserve player on Texans D and SpT; Winfield had started til recently being injured. PLayed most of the season and actually has 3 INTs :rofl:

Thus, remove Gash and Sidney from formula

Villarrial has played well and has not missed any games; Vincent missed 9 games; Matthews is a vet min player who has little PT; OL L. Smith does not qualify because he was not an UFA, he was a PS player for Ravens not re-signed; FB Shelton does not qulaify because he was released in 2003 and sat out the year.

Thus, remove Matthews, L. Smith, and Shelton from formula

Gains: Villarrial and Vincent

Losses: Winfield, Morris, and Polk

Clearly, Winfield signed the ridiculous contract with Vikings. Both Villarrial and Vincent signed market value deals for players at their stage of career. Morris and Polk were signed as role players. I'm not gonna get into the contract details, but Bills lost one more player than gained. They are getting a full season from Villarrial and partial season from Vincent. Neither will make Pro Bowl. Winfield is having an average year IMO, neither Morris or Polk are producing much for their respective teams.

In the end, the best the Bills can expect is a 5th IF the contract/performance for Winfield outweighs the contract/performance for Villarrial. It's also possible for the Bills to get only a 7th if Winfield/Polk outweighs Villarrial/Vincent. Then the loss of Morris would potentially yield a 7th.

Other points: NFL only awards a total of 32 comp picks, equal to 1 rd of the draft. Teams can receive a max. of 4 comp picks. This must be a part of formula as well. It's possible that these constraints prevent the Bills from receiving any comp pick

Right now, I'm hedging my bet on a 7th rd pick
I'll be more optimistic...at least a 6th.

Earthquake Enyart
12-15-2004, 08:59 AM
I don't think we're going to get anything. Vincent / Villareal is a wash with Winfield / Morris / Polk

Ebenezer
12-15-2004, 09:05 AM
I don't think we're going to get anything. Vincent / Villareal is a wash with Winfield / Morris / Polk
they also factor money into it...Winfield got an absolutely stupid contract from the Vikes.