• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

NHLPA Offer

It's pretty clear to me the players are just trying to keep their pockets lined while the franchises will have losses forever. Yeah, the salary rollback looks nice on paper but it's nothing that addresses the problems of the league. The CBA of 10 years ago was really screwed up and the players have abused the heck out of the league. I hope they are happy at the mess they have created and that there will be no hockey for the forseeable future on this continent.
  • Myers57
    Registered User and McLovin stunt double
    • Sep 2003

This is starting to make me sick...

Comment

• Ebenezer
      Give me a minute...
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Typ0
      It's pretty clear to me the players are just trying to keep their pockets lined while the franchises will have losses forever. Yeah, the salary rollback looks nice on paper but it's nothing that addresses the problems of the league. The CBA of 10 years ago was really screwed up and the players have abused the heck out of the league. I hope they are happy at the mess they have created and that there will be no hockey for the forseeable future on this continent.
      The players think the world is stupid...if the owners give them a new CBA that they like and "set a budget" and stick to it the players will sue over collusion...they think they are in a no lose...

James Patrick was on the radio this morning and sounded like a fool thinking the new offer could make the league right...he could barely get the words out of his mouth...he knew he was wrong and still tried to stumble through it.

Howard Simon asked "Can a luxury tax make the Sabres compete against the Det, NY, Toronto".

He practically stumbled throught 6 words...even he doesn't believe it.

Future NHL players should stay in school until they are 22...they are frikkin morons. Take a look at football and take a look at baseball...tell me which system gives each team a chance, every year, to be a winner.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

I guarantee that when they finally declare an impasse and use replacement players....The NHLPA will be amazed at how many freaking players decide to cross the line and play.

Comment

• pcnorth22
          • Mar 2003

I have no problem with the cap...none at all, as a Sabres fan, its the right move. I do have a problem with the NHl taking the NHLPA proposal from last week and saying, "thanks for the 24% rollback, we'll keep that and tack on a salary cap"...

I was completely with the owners until this week. I still want a cap...but they need to buck up and payout the current contracts in addition. The owners want a fix on their bad business deals from years-past, and they want a restriction so they don't screw up again.

Comment

• Ebenezer
            Give me a minute...
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by pcnorth22
            I have no problem with the cap...none at all, as a Sabres fan, its the right move. I do have a problem with the NHl taking the NHLPA proposal from last week and saying, "thanks for the 24% rollback, we'll keep that and tack on a salary cap"...

I was completely with the owners until this week. I still want a cap...but they need to buck up and payout the current contracts in addition. The owners want a fix on their bad business deals from years-past, and they want a restriction so they don't screw up again.
            in all other "businesses" with unions when there is fiscal distress the workers take pay cuts and lose jobs...if the players want to show themselves as being a real "labor union" they will do the same.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Typ0
              honey pie
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
              I guarantee that when they finally declare an impasse and use replacement players....The NHLPA will be amazed at how many freaking players decide to cross the line and play.
              I don't know why they don't just do that to the greedy bastards. Say "OK...you don't want to give way...fine here is the league...here are the rules...no more union...if you want to play then play otherwise go to siberia!"

Comment

• realmendontwearteal
                Blue and Gold perhaps....
                • Dec 2003

i wouldnt mind seein replacment players

i dont think hockey will happen at all this year
                Curt Schilling needs to STFU

Comment

• pcnorth22
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                  in all other "businesses" with unions when there is fiscal distress the workers take pay cuts and lose jobs...if the players want to show themselves as being a real "labor union" they will do the same.
                  I understand what you're saying. But...the fiscal distress is a direct result of the owner's inability to control their spending on players. The owners deserve to take a hit for their bad business dealings.

this is a pretty good article that helps to staet my problem with the league's counterproposal...

If the sides can't find a solution at this point, Gary Bettman should call this whole labor mess off now.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

I understand what you're saying. But...the fiscal distress is a direct result of the owner's inability to control their spending on players. The owners deserve to take a hit for their bad business dealings.

this is a pretty good article that helps to staet my problem with the league's counterproposal...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1946499
                    fiscal problems occur because of mismangement in many sectors...i could care less what the players think...at this point if the owners try to control salary they will be charged with collusion...

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=1946499
                      the leagues counterproposal actually paid the players more than they were asking...the problem with the players proposal is it is only short-term and does not address the problem. Without a ceiling on spending there is no end to what a good player can draw in the open market and good players are worth more risk so management is willing to go the extra mile....but those high level player salaries are driving up everyone elses salaries as well. The economics are not that complicated...and in order to have some consistency in the league there needs to be such a spending ceiling. Until the players acccept that the franchises are backed into a corner of runaway expenses without the cap there will be no hockey.

Comment

• Typ0
                        honey pie
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        fiscal problems occur because of mismangement in many sectors...i could care less what the players think...at this point if the owners try to control salary they will be charged with collusion...
                        That is another good point...the courts and arbitration have laid waste to the franchises because they always side more heavily with the players. Like you say, this would just be another case of it!

Comment

• pcnorth22
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Typ0
                          the leagues counterproposal actually paid the players more than they were asking...the problem with the players proposal is it is only short-term and does not address the problem. Without a ceiling on spending there is no end to what a good player can draw in the open market and good players are worth more risk so management is willing to go the extra mile....but those high level player salaries are driving up everyone elses salaries as well. The economics are not that complicated...and in order to have some consistency in the league there needs to be such a spending ceiling. Until the players acccept that the franchises are backed into a corner of runaway expenses without the cap there will be no hockey.
                          I completely understand what you are saying. But there is no good faith measure on the part of the owners. The NHLPA's proposal, while not ideal (i.e. no cap) was a good faith gesture. The slap in the face was that the NHL more or less accepted the offer of a huge salary rollback and wanted the cap. They should have stuck to their initial, "we want a cap" and not ask for the rollback too.

It just seems ridiculous to me that the players have to pay the price for the owners inability to control their spending, i.e. the cap, and according to the league proposal, they have to give back a portion of their salaries now (I know 35% won't give anything back).

Comment

Working...
                          X