PDA

View Full Version : Mort says...

northernbillfan
11-20-2002, 02:17 PM
One of the ugliest moments from week 11 was when we were called for pass interference...

5. Bills CB Chris Watson made a textbook coverage break-up on Trent Green's 36-yard pass to Eddie Kennison that was ruled pass interference. It put the Chiefs on the Buffalo 19, where they drove it in for the winning score. Some official needs to be held accountable for a brutal call at a critical time.
He is right about that call. It was the officiating that let us down in that game.

How about the pass interference they missed on us at the end of the game, the one just before the INT?

Ebenezer
11-20-2002, 02:22 PM
and the personal foul on Price was all on rep...that was nothing compared to some stuff that goes down in this league.

LtBillsFan66
11-20-2002, 02:41 PM
That was a bad call on the PI. It comfirmed that the refs were flag happy that day. It makes me sick...

I agree with Eb. The Peerless thing was lame too. He was dumb for acting up, but there is pushing and shoving all the time that's not called.

MissBuffalo
11-20-2002, 02:45 PM
Bring back the replacement Ref's!!!!!

clumping platelets
11-20-2002, 02:46 PM
If you were watching the Miami game, Jason Taylor hit a Ravens' player with an open-handed uppercut and knock off his helmet....ref was watchin' and there was NO CALL!! The ref got in between the players :rolleyes:

Gunzlingr
11-20-2002, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by northernbillfan

How about the pass interference they missed on us at the end of the game, the one just before the INT?

Is that the one where Peerless is leveled about 15 yards out? The announcers were arguing, 1 saying it shouldn't be a penalty because it wasn't catchable, the other saying you couldn't know, Peerless was on the ground.

Mr. Miyagi
11-20-2002, 03:13 PM
As I said before and now again, the refs won that game for the Chiefs last weekend!!!!

BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

casdhf
11-20-2002, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by gunzlingr

Is that the one where Peerless is leveled about 15 yards out? The announcers were arguing, 1 saying it shouldn't be a penalty because it wasn't catchable, the other saying you couldn't know, Peerless was on the ground.

I think they mean against Moulds.

WCoastFin
11-20-2002, 05:22 PM
How about that TD catch by Chambers!? or the time Ricky held on to the ball till he was down!? This is the way it should be right now!...

Fins 7-3
Bills 6-4
Patriots 5-5
Jets 4-6

BADTHINGSMAN
11-20-2002, 05:47 PM
A friend of mine brought up this point. If it were Ty Law, Charles Woodson caliber corners would it still have been Pass Interference? This may sound stupid, but think about it. How much have high caliber players gotten away with? And how much was legal contact?

Halbert
11-20-2002, 08:01 PM
Why that PI was called:

1. Watson had perfect coverage, TOO perfect - he was right up into Kennison's face.
2. Ref was behind the play - couldn't see what contact was actually taking place so it probably LOOKED to him like PI due to the too perfect coverage.
3. It's Chris Watson. His rep was definitely a factor. It would not have been called on a star veteran.

Very tough break. But it wasn't really why we lost that game. It was a factor but we had plenty of opportunities other than that to make plays and we simply didn't make enough.

TigerJ
11-20-2002, 11:28 PM
The good thing about the media talking about that stuff is that it makes it harder for the NFL to just ignore it. If they keep the pressure on maybe someday the league will do something to make the officials more accountable. I know, fat chance, but I can hope.

DIHARD2
11-21-2002, 06:37 AM
I am a strong advocate on fining a referee, for poor refereeing. Right now a defensive player or any player has to be aware and refine their abilities so they are not fined by the NFL for stupid flagrant hits with a helmet.

When a poor call that is not allowed to be questioned through instant replay and it cost the game or even a score by a team, than those rafts should be fined! It would only increase their awareness and refine their ability and make the game more even with less poor officiating. They're getting paid just as a player is getting paid to perform within the rules of the game.

I know this will never happen because the union for the referees would never allow it. So I believe that it's time to consider full-time referees and putting an age limit on their participation, some of the rafts are too old to be chasing 20 + year old up-and-down a field for four hours. This is something that should be seriously look at in order to bring the officiating up to the standard of the NFL today. The referees are still going by the same standard that they were when the NFL first started.

Without having the responsibility for poor refereeing and decision-making.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

vabillsfan
11-21-2002, 02:18 PM
Good God people. Let it go! We lost. Why? Because they scored one more point than we did. We had ample opportunity to win. 3 trips to the red zone and 3 field goals? What happened to our vaunted O? Bledsoe totally underthrew 2 bombs that could have led to scores (as Phil Simms pointed out). Gilbride went away from Henry who was running all over the KC D. We lost - plain and simple. KC made the plays when we didn't. Quit yer beotching and move on!! No one like whiners!

DIHARD2
11-21-2002, 03:32 PM
vabillsfan, my comment isn't because of this last game. It is because of all the poor officiating for last two years. Ever since they got their last contract and we had the replacement referees, they have done nothing but a poor job and quite a few questionable outcomes because of it.

They've made a bad name for themselves as being judgmental in their decisions dealing with rookies and prose. It seems that their letting the prose getaway with more than they have in the past and their giving the rookies less of a fair shake. It seems it's getting worse every week in more games than ever before.

GO!!!...BUFFALO!!!...

Marcos20
11-21-2002, 04:42 PM
i didnt see the game but i hear some comments that the ref was just awfull against us ...

Pride
11-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Maybe I am the only one on this side of the fence but I disagree with fining the refs. A referee is a judge, a judge is elected to a life long term and payed very well. What this does is make it difficult for the judge to be paid off, and it helps to not sway the judge's ruling based on if he may lose his job or something. The key is to hire a judge with solid reputation and high standards.

Should a ref be given a life long job? No. Should they be paid alot of money to compensate for any possibility of being paid off? Yes! These refs make good money compared to you an I, no doubt. But, when their actions can cost fans, a team, and a city millions of dollars in revenue (playoffs? SBowl?), then I believe they should be payed accordingly.

Perhaps they need to be given 4 year job terms unless voted out by all of the owners. Much like politics. That way no single person has the ability to fire/hire, and the job is secure for 4 years.

Just an idea, but I do disagree with fining the refs.

TigerJ
11-22-2002, 11:45 PM
I think referee incompetence is far more of an issue than referee integrity. I think they are really trying. i just think they aren't very good. I resent the fact that the league seems to be in complete denial. I recognize the league is in somewhat of a difficult position. If they comment every time an official makes a bad call it may well call into question the efficacy of the whole system of rules enforcement in the NFL. However, by not commenting it sometimes seems as if they are blind to the problem, and that doesn't reassure me as a fan either.