PDA

View Full Version : PFW on the Bills playoff push...

Ickybaluky
12-15-2004, 03:01 PM
At this link (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2004/spins121504.htm) PFW's Jeff Reynolds says of the Bills playoff run:

Bills peaking at the right time

Buffalo can improve to 8-6 with a win at Cincinnati, positioning themselves for a late-season wild-card push and improbable playoff bid after a 1-5 start. With the Jets facing a rough schedule over the final three weeks, Buffalo has a chance to sneak in the back door with wins at Cincinnati, San Francisco and vs. Pittsburgh, which may or may not be playing for home-field advantage in Week 17.

PFW: What has been the difference for the Bills since Week Seven, when they were 1-5?

Reynolds: Almost everything, starting with the more level play of QB Drew Bledsoe and the emergence of RB Willis McGahee. McGahee makes his ninth start on Sunday, when he’s likely to clear the 1,000-yard mark. He has been a perfect complement to the Bills’ defense, which quietly has been one of the best in the league for each of the last two seasons. Buffalo has 38 sacks and 28 takeaways and makes teams earn their yardage. The Bills allow just 4.42 yards per play, second in the NFL to Washington (4.38), and they rank third in the NFL in total yards allowed.

Bledsoe remains a concern for the Bills, especially against teams that force the Bills to beat them through the air. The Bengals aren’t that kind of team, nor is San Francisco, but the Steelers arguably are the most physical defense in football. McGahee allows head coach Mike Mularkey to use his preferred ball-control, power-running offense to complement the defense. The Bills are more explosive than the Ravens, though the philosophies are similar, and have scored 37 or more points in four straight games. Rookie WR Lee Evans continues to make plays with teams bracketing Eric Moulds on the outside. Bledsoe is showing more confidence in the rookie and teams have to honor Evans’ speed, opening running lanes for McGahee.

juice
12-15-2004, 03:29 PM
At this link (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Commentary/Spins/2004/spins121504.htm) PFW's Jeff Reynolds says of the Bills playoff run:

Bills peaking at the right time

Buffalo can improve to 8-6 with a win at Cincinnati, positioning themselves for a late-season wild-card push and improbable playoff bid after a 1-5 start. With the Jets facing a rough schedule over the final three weeks, Buffalo has a chance to sneak in the back door with wins at Cincinnati, San Francisco and vs. Pittsburgh, which may or may not be playing for home-field advantage in Week 17.

PFW: What has been the difference for the Bills since Week Seven, when they were 1-5?

Reynolds: Almost everything, starting with the more level play of QB Drew Bledsoe and the emergence of RB Willis McGahee. McGahee makes his ninth start on Sunday, when he’s likely to clear the 1,000-yard mark. He has been a perfect complement to the Bills’ defense, which quietly has been one of the best in the league for each of the last two seasons. Buffalo has 38 sacks and 28 takeaways and makes teams earn their yardage. The Bills allow just 4.42 yards per play, second in the NFL to Washington (4.38), and they rank third in the NFL in total yards allowed.

Bledsoe remains a concern for the Bills, especially against teams that force the Bills to beat them through the air. The Bengals aren’t that kind of team, nor is San Francisco, but the Steelers arguably are the most physical defense in football. McGahee allows head coach Mike Mularkey to use his preferred ball-control, power-running offense to complement the defense. The Bills are more explosive than the Ravens, though the philosophies are similar, and have scored 37 or more points in four straight games. Rookie WR Lee Evans continues to make plays with teams bracketing Eric Moulds on the outside. Bledsoe is showing more confidence in the rookie and teams have to honor Evans’ speed, opening running lanes for McGahee.Good post NE..

We'll take down the Super-Rookie in week 17 to give you guys home-field throughout.. But when we beat Pitts we're coming for you next.

Ickybaluky
12-15-2004, 04:56 PM
Good post NE..

We'll take down the Super-Rookie in week 17 to give you guys home-field throughout.. But when we beat Pitts we're coming for you next.

I'd be happy with that scenario because they game would be in NE.

TigerJ
12-15-2004, 07:04 PM
I'd be happy with that scenario because they game would be in NE.

Thanks for the heads up NE. I'm not sure that Buffalo is good enough to plow through the playoffs and take on NE in Foxboro even if they make the playoffs, but sooner or later we're comin' to getcha. :peace:

Mr. Cynical
12-15-2004, 07:36 PM
Given our record in NE...or simply our record against BB period....I think we'd rather not have this scenario play out. Better if NE loses to someone else first.

Halbert
12-15-2004, 08:34 PM
No way.

New England has been a nightmare for the new millenium Bills. Exorcising away-field demons is a classic sports moment.

Frankly, I'd rather get crushed in a NE playoff game than not get there at all. Never up, never in.

Mr. Cynical
12-15-2004, 08:45 PM
No way.

New England has been a nightmare for the new millenium Bills. Exorcising away-field demons is a classic sports moment.

Frankly, I'd rather get crushed in a NE playoff game than not get there at all. Never up, never in.
I didn't say I didn't want to get to the AFC Champ game. Just that I would rather play it in any other city than NE. I agree it's great to get revenge on a team that has plagued you, but I'd rather have the best chance to get back to the SB and playing NE in NE is the worst possible scenario for that to happen imo.

John Doe
12-15-2004, 09:05 PM
Buffalo has 38 sacks and 28 takeaways and makes teams earn their yardage. The Bills allow just 4.42 yards per play, second in the NFL to Washington (4.38), and they rank third in the NFL in total yards allowed.

Yards per play - Interesting statistic. I don't recall seeing it before. Yards per game is always stressed in the papers. It certainly makes G.W. look like he knows something about defense.

Drive 4 Five
12-16-2004, 12:17 AM
If New England wins homefield throughout, go ahead and hand them another AFC championship.

Nevertheless I will continue to :pray: to the football Gods that we get one more crack at those vermin.

Drive 4 Five
12-16-2004, 12:20 AM
Given our record in NE...or simply our record against BB period....I think we'd rather not have this scenario play out. Better if NE loses to someone else first.

No way bro. To be the best you gotta beat the best. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Mr. Cynical
12-16-2004, 12:40 AM
No way bro. To be the best you gotta beat the best. I wouldn't want it any other way.
I'll take an SB win even if it means we have to play the Cardinals' practice squad to do it. :;