PDA

View Full Version : I hate to break bad news but

Forward_Lateral
12-16-2004, 09:20 AM
We, unfortunately, don't hold any tiebreaker over the Jets. We would've had they had lost to Houston a few weeks back. The Jets have 7 wins within the aFC, the most we can end up with is 6, therefore, if we and the Jets end up tied, they get the tiebreaker.

Here's the tiebreaking rules for a Wild Card, directly from NFL.com

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.

Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head, if applicable.
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
4. Strength of victory.
5. Strength of schedule.
6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best net points in conference games.
9. Best net points in all games.
10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
11. Coin toss.

buffalofan19
12-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Those steps you just wrote out are with teams in different divisions.

When trying to break a tie between two teams in the same division record vs. common opponents comes before the Conference record.

In that case the Bills would have the tiebreaker over the Jets.

juice
12-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Those steps you just wrote out are with teams in different divisions.

When trying to break a tie between two teams in the same division record vs. common opponents comes before the Conference record.

In that case the Bills would have the tiebreaker over the Jets.I think, and hope your right.

buffalofan19
12-16-2004, 09:35 AM
Here's the tiebreaking rules for a Wild Card, directly from NFL.com

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined. Two Clubs
1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.<!--Best net points in division games.-->
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

Also directly from NFL.com

The Bills and Jets (obviously) are division opponents and therefore common record comes before conference record. The Bills have the tie-breaker overthe Jets assuming they lose to New England.

OpIv37
12-16-2004, 09:36 AM
11. Coin toss.

Are you kidding me? Has this ever actually happened? It seems like the ultimate nightmare scenario.

Forward_Lateral
12-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Yeah, I'm ******ed. Sorry guys. Disregard this stupid thread. My bad.

On the brighter side, if Denver loses 2 out of 3 games, and we win out, we'll both be tied at 10-6 with 6-6 record. Common opponents are: Jags and Bengals, Oakland and Miami. (not sure if the last two count, as they are within each other's division)

IF they count Miami and Oakland here's our record against common teams:

Bills Lost to Jags, Win vs Bengals (If IF IF we win this week) lost to Oakland, beat Fins twice. A record of 3-2

Broncos Split with Oakland, lost to Bengals, lost to Jags, beat the Fins

Soooo That would give them a 2-3 record.

I think, now I am most likely wrong, that that gives US the tiebreaker over Denver. Does it?

buffalofan19
12-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I'm ******ed. Sorry guys. Disregard this stupid thread. My bad.

On the brighter side, if Denver loses 2 out of 3 games, and we win out, we'll both be tied at 10-6 with 6-6 record. Common opponents are: Jags and Bengals, Oakland and Miami. (not sure if the last two count, as they are within each other's division)

IF they count Miami and Oakland here's our record against common teams:

Bills Lost to Jags, Win vs Bengals (If IF IF we win this week) lost to Oakland, beat Fins twice. A record of 3-2

Broncos Split with Oakland, lost to Bengals, lost to Jags, beat the Fins

Soooo That would give them a 2-3 record.

I think, now I am most likely wrong, that that gives US the tiebreaker over Denver. Does it?

I don't mean to call you out again but...

Denver's current record is 8-5; 5-4 in the conference. They have 3 games left and all are against AFC opponents. If they were to finish 10-6, they would only lose 1 more Conference game making their final AFC record of 7-5. Thus they would have the tie-breaker over the Bills.

Michael82
12-16-2004, 11:03 AM
It was in the Bills Digest. IF the Bills win out, and the Jets LOSE to the Patriots AND either the Seahawks or the Rams...the Bills would get the wildcard spot over them.

shelby
12-16-2004, 11:07 AM
:dizzy:

Forward_Lateral
12-16-2004, 11:33 AM
I don't mean to call you out again but...

Denver's current record is 8-5; 5-4 in the conference. They have 3 games left and all are against AFC opponents. If they were to finish 10-6, they would only lose 1 more Conference game making their final AFC record of 7-5. Thus they would have the tie-breaker over the Bills.

Damn it!!! I meant to say if we lost to SF, and they lost 2, then we'd be tied at 9-7....yeah that's what I meant I'm going to stop posting about this now, as it's clear that I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

Canadian'eh!
12-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Damn it!!! I meant to say if we lost to SF, and they lost 2, then we'd be tied at 9-7....yeah that's what I meant I'm going to stop posting about this now, as it's clear that I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about.

:bow: quite possibly the most informative thread i have ever read.

Michael82
12-16-2004, 12:09 PM
But it's wrong. :doh:

Canadian'eh!
12-16-2004, 12:19 PM
But it's wrong. :doh:

may have been sarcastic.

Michael82
12-16-2004, 12:20 PM
may have been sarcastic.
:rofl:

jamze132
12-16-2004, 01:17 PM
We just need more hamburgers and we could... well I don't wanna jinx anything. Maybe put some cheese on Clements burger so he can get his head in the game.

jamze132
12-16-2004, 01:20 PM
Lets not forget that when the season is all said and done that Clements decided to go for the pick instead of knocking the ball down on 4th down. Would we even be having these conversations now if we where 8-5 and owned a couple of tie breakers? But you can also argue that if we didn't start 0-4, maybe we wouldn't be where we are now. Everything happens for a reason. But if we miss the playoffs, I will probably blame clements for that bonehead play. Jst because I think we need a scapegote... and I'm a di*k.

Forward_Lateral
12-16-2004, 01:36 PM

:stfu:

Michael82
12-16-2004, 01:38 PM
:roflmao:

Canadian'eh!
12-16-2004, 05:55 PM

this is a moral victory for me.

BillsFanInMass
12-16-2004, 07:09 PM
You could also blame it on that 4th and 1 against the raiders we should have challenged it and didn't. Henry scored b4 the whistle. 8-5 anyone!!!