PDA

View Full Version : Message!!!! Read Read Important

tomohawk4949
11-21-2002, 12:41 AM
I know this is a tired subjest but I was reading some of your earlier post, and stubbled across someone saying that a ref named Dick Hantak who refd a bills game a few weeks back and was "the most officious referee in the NFL" well I was at fox sports, and as it turns out he accually is the LEAST most officous ref in the league... check this out

LEAST ACTIVE: Dick Hantak. His crew averages 11.5 penalties a game and twice had fewer than 10. Plus, he’s never had more than 14, the lowest ceiling for any crew. Runner-up goes to White, who’s right behind Hantak at 11.6 and whose crew hasn’t marked off more than 15 infractions in any contest.

here is the link too:
http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=764928

Im just saying this becuase alot of bills fans blamed the officals for there loss to the chiefs...well if the ref that throws the fewest flags in the leagues went nuts a few weeks ago and threw tons on the bills, maybe the problem isnt the officals......

venis2k1
11-21-2002, 12:50 AM
The number of penalties isnt my beef with the officiating in the Chiefs game, it was the ones that they called(the b.s. pass interference on watson) and the ones they didn't(e. moulds Pass Interference right before drew threw the INT) 90% of penalties are legit like False start and holding that has to do with the game, not the refs. but its the big ones that really make or break a game like pass interference and personal fouls.

SoCalBillsFan
11-21-2002, 02:33 AM
why is this marked as ultra important?

Sabre Ally
11-21-2002, 02:45 AM
because he's a Chiefs fan tryin to believe that they deserved to beat us

SoCalBillsFan
11-21-2002, 03:39 AM
the question still stands...

The_Philster
11-21-2002, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by tomohawk4949
I know this is a tired subjest but I was reading some of your earlier post, and stubbled across someone saying that a ref named Dick Hantak who refd a bills game a few weeks back and was "the most officious referee in the NFL" well I was at fox sports, and as it turns out he accually is the LEAST most officous ref in the league... check this out

LEAST ACTIVE: Dick Hantak. His crew averages 11.5 penalties a game and twice had fewer than 10. Plus, he’s never had more than 14, the lowest ceiling for any crew. Runner-up goes to White, who’s right behind Hantak at 11.6 and whose crew hasn’t marked off more than 15 infractions in any contest.

here is the link too:
http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=764928

Im just saying this becuase alot of bills fans blamed the officals for there loss to the chiefs...well if the ref that throws the fewest flags in the leagues went nuts a few weeks ago and threw tons on the bills, maybe the problem isnt the officals......

Correction. He USED to be. And the one who tossed the flags in the Chiefs game was the one who took the title....Terry McAulay.

WG
11-21-2002, 08:52 AM
The bottom line on that Watson penalty is that is you stop the game tape at the point at which they panned to Watson once the ball was in the air, you'll notice that Watson is 2-3 yards behind Kennison. Given that and the notion that he barely looked for the ball until it was just about to fall into EK's arms made it a not so horrendous call. I just don't get it. I can have seen it not getting called, but he was clearly face-guarding w/o his head turned. Clearly. IMO that was the reason for the call.

Besides, I also think as Bills fans we're making way too much of it. If it had been 3rd and 10 that's one thing. But it wasn't. It was 1st and 10 and K.C. was at their own 45. It's also not like the Chiefs were at their own 5. The way that our D was playing in the 4th Q, I really doubt it would have made a large difference even if it had been ruled incomplete instead.

This assumption that it cost us the game is going a bit overboard here. Honestly, I think the Edwards RTP call was FAR more detrimental to us than that one was. That happened on a 3rd and 7 I think it was. It would have been our ball after the Chiefs would have punted and we would likely have had the ball near our 40 w/o much of a runback. Any runback and we'd have been way down the field.

But instead, the Chiefs continued to drive as a result of that penalty which kept them alive. That was a total field position reversal which IMO was far more detrimental to the entire game. That was a cruddy call although not inconsistent w/ what's been goin' on this season.

Marcos20
11-21-2002, 10:16 AM
BS

WG
11-21-2002, 10:41 AM
Naturally...

;)

Bert102176
11-23-2002, 09:09 PM
it's not the number of penalties that's important it's the lack of calling against the Chiefs, and the bs ones against the Bills.

WG
11-24-2002, 12:08 AM
I don't think it's the penalties or lack of them being called that held the Bills to only 16 points against one of the weakest Ds in the league.

Miami: 16 offensive points
N.E.: 7 offensive points

We will know today whether these Bills are all that much improved over last year's squad. Sure, they're somewhat improved. But the big question remains how much. If we lose today v. the Jets, then we're all gonna have to face the fact that this "improvement" is not all that many think it is.

If we lose today, then we're gonna be last year's S.D. who started off 5-2 and then lost a bunch down the stretch. I won't say we'll lose every game after a questionable 5-3 start, but I'll say if we lose today that we're gonna be 1-4 or 2-3 in our last 5 for no better than 7-9. That'll mean 2-6 our last 8.

We can talk all we want, but the big tests are on the field. So far all we've managed to do is to take advantage of teams that we should have absolutely blown out by only barely beating them. We're gonna have to beat some of the better teams in the league if we're gonna be considered vastly improved or anything better than average.