PDA

View Full Version : Ostroski losing his spot to Sullivan?

LouGrant
07-31-2002, 07:37 PM
Truth be told, Marques Sullivan has something Jerry Ostroski wants back - the starting spot on the Bills offensive line at right guard.

Ostroski has been on the Physically Unable to Perform list since camp started last week. And he's seen Sullivan takes most of the "reps" at right guard with the Bills number one unit. Sullivan had been splitting time with Corey Hulsey, but now appears to be the man for the job - until Jerry O. comes back.

Maybe.

Sullivan is not giving up without a fight. "I don't think that
anybody can be complacent about where they're at right now even if your're the best player on the team," Sullivan said after Wednesday's practice. "That's how great players are made. They never settle for anything less than the best and they try to come out here and improve everyday. You're in your meetings and you're taking notes and listening - you never get comfortable with where you're at - you always want to get better."

...MORE (http://www.empiresports.com/billsreport.shtml)

From Empire sports

JefftheBillsfan
07-31-2002, 07:43 PM
Nothing wrong with a little competition!

SABURZFAN
07-31-2002, 08:05 PM
i've heard that sullivan is making great strides after a rough rookie season.i agree with jeff too.

Buffarama
07-31-2002, 08:33 PM
Good for Sullivan, striving and competing to be the best.

alloutblitz
07-31-2002, 09:04 PM
:hail: Let the best man win!!!

Butch
07-31-2002, 10:43 PM
Sullivan was at one time a highly rated OT who fell to the 5th round so he does have the talent. If he does beat out Ostroski, I think Ostroski may get cut.

HenryRules
07-31-2002, 11:28 PM
I don't think Os will be cut. If I remember correctly (and I could be incredibly mistaken), there isn't a huge cap savings by cutting JO, and he'd provide amazing depth off the bench since he can sub in at pretty much any position and do a semi-decent job.
I hope Sullivan takes over though, JO is getting up there in age and I'm beginning to think that the rest of his career is going to be filled with nagging injuries.

WG
07-31-2002, 11:46 PM
JO is perfect for backup duty. If Sullivan wins the starting spot, that's great. That must mean he's outplaying Os. I cannot imagine that Os has any problems playing backup considering he's aging and injury prone these days. It's a good way to keep him on the Bills too. I'll be he restructures his contract after this year in order to stick around. Obviously as a backup, he doesn't take the weekly beating that starters do. I think it'd be a good deal for Os.

standingbuffalo43
08-01-2002, 01:00 AM
Our line is young and strong and has really good footwork... MS stepping in at RG is further evidence of this trend... I think this may make JO more effective as well... by staying as a backup JO can remain relatively injury free and have a full tank if called on...
our Oline is really shaping up to be one our most talented and deep areas of our team...

The Seahag
08-01-2002, 01:42 AM
I don't know about Sullivan's footwork, frankenstanding. He's not very agile and a bit of a waist-bender which is why I imagine the Bills don't want to use him at tackle. He's going to move better than JerryO of course but I'm not sure if the Bills really even have another guard that fits the criterion that you see Donahoe&Co. moving toward.
The Bills have done the bulk of the OLine rebuild but they still aren't loaded up with the kind of guards they want. Since you can't rebuild a team from near scratch, I guess we'll have to wait one more year to see the finishing touches put on the OLine.
As for JerryO, his weird contract will create a ton of deadcapspace next year if he's released anytime before June1, 2003. Unless he struggles so badly this year that he's not even one of the 10 best trenchmen on the team, look for the Bills to use him as a multi-faceted stopgap for one more year and then thank him for his contributions next summer.

Earthquake Enyart
08-01-2002, 06:39 AM
Sullivan was all Big Ten at Illinois. I was surprised he fell to the fifth round. I think there was some question about his knee??

Saw him on Empire last nite. He's saying all the right things. I agree with Butch. In this age of the cap, it would be nice to keep JO around as a backup, but you just can't afford it. Cut him now to get $$ for DL next year.

John Doe
08-01-2002, 06:40 AM
When JO comes off the PUP list, the job is his. The coaching staff loves this guy, and its nice to have someone with tons of experience next to your prize rookie.

standingbuffalo43
08-01-2002, 11:51 AM
our OL as a unit is big and strong and has good footwork(in general)...
not necessarily MS by himself...What I meant was that the Bills coaching staff seems to be revamping the line in this direction...
MS obviously doesnt have the feet that JJ or MW has or he'd be challenging them for their spot, not JOs... but as an individual MS has better feet than JO & as a unit they have those attributes (considering the old adage that a chain is only as strong as its weakest link)...
overall, I agree w/ you, 'hag... especially on JOs contract... we should keep JO for sure... cut farris or some other schmuck...

btw...

"...the name is FRANKEN-SHHHTEIN!!!"
~gene wilder

Cntrygal
08-01-2002, 12:26 PM
Welcome The Seahag!!!!!!!!! :)

TigerJ
08-01-2002, 12:58 PM
I think Ostroski is safe as far as holding a roster spot this year is concerned. I think Sullivan might get quite a bit of playing time. Next year Jerry O is gone.