PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoff system and ....

The Black Bear
12-19-2004, 12:13 PM
theblackbear has been complaining about the new NFL playoff system since it was introduced along with the NFL realignment. Basically what theblackbear has been saying is that the system SUCKS! The system always favors teams in weak divisions or this year a weak conference.

In the AFC you can easily have a team with a 10-6 record that doesn't make the playoffs. Last year it was the Miami Dolphins and this year it could be the Buffalo Bills, or the Denver Broncos. Is theblackbear the only one in the world that see something wrong with a 10-6 team not making the playoffs?

Hopefully not!

Certain NFL owners proposed a 7 team per conference playoff system. That system was shot down because the owners just looked like they were crying because their team just missed the playoffs. That 7 team per conference system that they proposed was also flawed.

Back then and now theblackbear is demanding what is fair for the NFL. An 8 team per conference playoff system. To keep the top two teams in each conference from complaining all teams get a bye after the end of the season.

theblackbear will breakdown this playoff system later ........

:peace:

The Black Bear
12-20-2004, 11:14 AM
This is just what theblackbear thought. No one wants to talk about this yet. But ohhhhhh will the topic come back up if the Bills finish 10-6 and miss the playoffs. When the Buffalo Bills community starts complaining about the playoff system at the end of the year and saying that it needs to be changed here's what you need to say it needs to be changed to .....

8 Teams Per Conference.

Bye Week after last regular season game: No bye after championship game!

Playoff set up after bye:

Thursday game: AFC #4 vs AFC #5 8pm Prime Time(next season start with NFC)

Saturday games: NFC #4 vs #5 / NFC #3 vs #6 / NFC #2 vs #7 8pm Prime Time (NFC Day)

Sunday games: AFC #3 vs AFC #6 / AFC #2 vs #7 / AFC #1 vs #8 8pm Prime Time (AFC Day)

Monday Night Football: NFC #1 vs NFC #8

That's FOUR prime time games for the NFL in the first week and high ratings for four days because more teams are involved. That means more fan interest.

The top teams don't get alone bye week but they still play against the lowest seeds and in the latest games.

This is a win-win all across the board.

The playoffs needs more teams not less teams. 8 teams not 6 or 7. With an 8 team per conference playoff setup the chances that a team will finish 10-6 or even 9-7 an miss the playoffs is very low.

Either you need to completely wipe away the wild cards teams and just send the division winners to the playoffs or you need to do what theblackbear suggests and include 8 teams.

What say you Bills fans? Barbeque or Mildew??

The time to speak up is now and not at the end of year when your team misses the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

Speak now and loud or forever hold your peace!!

BAM
12-20-2004, 11:16 AM
:rofl:

Iehoshua
12-20-2004, 11:31 AM
I think the entire NFC should be declared unfit for playoff competition immediately and the playoffs expanded to include the AFC teams. The NFC straight up blows.

Long live the Black Bear!

The Pink Bear
12-20-2004, 11:34 AM
The Pink Bear agrees with his fellow Bear Essentialist cohort. If this sham is allowed to stand, the integrity of the game is forever tainted.

jamze132
12-20-2004, 11:37 AM
What about everyone making the playoffs? The entire regular season would just be for seading and home field advantage!

I really would not like to see half of the conference in the playoffs. However I would like to see the top 6 teams in each conference, not a division winner with 8 wins. It isn't really fair that a division winner with 8-9 wins makes the playoffs and 10-6 teams miss. And I am not just saying this because we may miss at 10-6, I have thought this way for years. Send the best teams in each conference to the playoffs.

OpIv37
12-20-2004, 12:08 PM
What about everyone making the playoffs? The entire regular season would just be for seading and home field advantage!

I really would not like to see half of the conference in the playoffs. However I would like to see the top 6 teams in each conference, not a division winner with 8 wins. It isn't really fair that a division winner with 8-9 wins makes the playoffs and 10-6 teams miss. And I am not just saying this because we may miss at 10-6, I have thought this way for years. Send the best teams in each conference to the playoffs.

we got screwed on this for the Music City Mirage game- the Bills had a better record than the Titans and Seahawks but had to play a road game cuz they didn't win their division.

The Black Bear
12-20-2004, 08:14 PM

What's wrong with half the conference in the playoffs? That also means that the other half of the conference is staying home. If you're going to go past the division winners it makes more sense to have 8 teams instead of 6. That ridiculous 6 number is carried over from the former NFL setup anyway. With expansion and realignment it only makes sense to add more teams to the post season.

theblackbear guarantees that some 10-6 team will be complaining about this once again after the regular season when they don't make the playoffs. That team could very well be the Buffalo Bills.

How can the NFL justify keeping a team like the Bills out of the playoffs if they finish 10-6?

"Oh! You lost a tie breaker."

theblackbear knows just where they can stick their tie breakers!!

Not only could there be one 10-6 team that doesn't make the playoffs there could be 2 this year.

10-6 and you don't make the post season?? What the hell is that all about.

Get ready for some complaining Bills fans because it's right around the corner. There will be at least two unhappy AFC teams that will be huffing and puffing about the NFL playoff setup.

IT'S TIME FOR A CHANGE!!

BillsFever21
12-20-2004, 08:22 PM
That would also mean the NFC would have to send 8 teams now.

I could just see it now...

"Welcome to Dallas this afternoon for our wild card battle between the 6-10 Saints and the 6-10 Cowboys"

The Black Bear
12-20-2004, 08:29 PM
That would also mean the NFC would have to send 8 teams now.

I could just see it now...

"Welcome to Dallas this afternoon for our wild card battle between the 6-10 Saints and the 6-10 Cowboys"
See. You're not paying attention. Don't make theblackbear send you to the dunce corner.

The last seeds play against the first seeds. 1 vs 8 / 2 vs 7 / 3 vs 6 / 4 vs 5.

Sure you might get some blowouts in the early games but you also may get some upsets! Just like in the NCAA basketball tournament. Which is the best playoff setup on the planet.

What's wrong with having Dallas or Washington versus the wounded Eagles in the 1st round?

Iehoshua
12-20-2004, 08:33 PM
See. You're not paying attention. Don't make theblackbear send you to the dunce corner.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Turf
12-20-2004, 08:37 PM
I think theblackbear is obsessed with the theblackbear.

Why don't you guys just start a comic strip, it would carry more weight.

Iehoshua
12-20-2004, 08:41 PM
In all seriousness, I like the idea. If there's a situation this year having more than one team that goes 10-6 missing the playoffs, but in the NFCrap 6-10 teams are getting in, its an atrocity.

Blackbear's setup ala NBA playoffs... Some interesting upsets could occur. I do agree all these ridiculous tiebreakers need to go. Its getting too complex...

The Black Bear
12-27-2004, 01:32 PM
Bills Fans,

Will you still agree with the current NFL playoff setup if the Bills win next week and still miss the playoffs because the Jets spank the overrated Rams team and the Colts play their backups against the Broncos and give Denver an easy win?

This is just the beginning of this discussion. Trust!

Dozerdog
12-27-2004, 01:42 PM
I think the 4 team divisions give you bad teams in the playoffs and good teams missing them.

Maybe move to an 8 team division, two divisions per conference. The division champs get a bye, the best remaining 4 teams each conference get in. You still have 12 teams in the playoffs- it just becomes the best 12 teams.

Too bad they chose not to re-align the NFL along geographic lines and have an East-West setup similar to the NBA/NHL. It would be great to have Cleveland or Pittsburgh in our division-just a few hours drive away.

The Black Bear
12-27-2004, 06:24 PM
theblackbear doesn't understand why the "Bye Week" garbage is such a big issue. The crying over the bye week is what prevented the NFL from expanding the playoffs to 7 teams per conference.

Teams cry over losing that all so precious bye week. Do they not know that a lot of teams lose concentration or their roll is stopped by having the week off?

So what if your players get an extra week to recover from injuries. Your team can also go flat.

Having home field advantage is enough for the division winners. To hell with the bye week.

Or

Take an entire week off for all playoff teams like theblackbear suggested in the beginning of this thread. Use that off week to hype up the playoffs and reflect on the regular season. After the off week go straight through the playoffs with no off week before the Superbowl.

theblackbear has hated this playoff system since league realignment and expansion and theblackbear is going to hate it even more if the Bills miss the playoffs with a 10-6 record.

RaginBuc
12-27-2004, 07:04 PM
I'd say if it ain't broke then don't fix it, but there is some thing very wrong with the Saints still being in Playoff Contention going into Week 17.
Although, the current systems is not going to be changed for a long time, so you myswell join the Majority and start *****ing about the BCS.