PDA

View Full Version : I can handle the truth

BillsFever21
12-19-2004, 12:52 PM
I've heard tons of conflicting reports on this subject. Does anyone know the truth for sure?

If the Jets and us both finish 10-6 do we hold the tiebreaker or not? I think we do but there are too many different opinions to be certain.

Does anyone have the final answer or just speculation?

Shiny Chicken
12-19-2004, 12:55 PM
Thr final answer is yes... if one of NY's losses come to NE. Then we have the same head to head record (1-1) and the same division record (3-3) and we go next to common opponents, whichwe do win the tiebreaker with. If NY beats NE, though, we can't get ahead of them... even if they lost to both Seattle and St. Louis... because even though we'd be at the same overall record, the Jets would be 4-2 in the division with us at 3-3.

Shiny Chicken
12-19-2004, 12:56 PM
Those are the facts, I've been keeping track of this for awhile.

BillsFever21
12-19-2004, 12:57 PM
TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined. Two Clubs
*1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
**2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
***3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
****4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
5. Strength of victory.<!--Best net points in division games.-->
6. Strength of schedule.
7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
9. Best net points in common games.
10. Best net points in all games.
11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

* Of course we both split these games but does this include the total score of both games or just the matchup. If they took the scores then we would win this tiebreaker against them.

** If the Jets lose to the Pats we would both finish 3-3 in the division so that would be a wash.

*** Not sure what the results are with this tiebreaker at the moment.

**** They have this tiebreaker clinched on us.

Shiny Chicken
12-19-2004, 01:02 PM
The first tiebreaker does not include total score...

The second tiebreaker, you're correct.

The third tiebreaker... I don't remember the specifics, but we have the advantage. If you can find my thread from two weeks ago about the playoff picture as of then, someone in there explains why we have the common opponents tiebreaker.

BillsFever21
12-19-2004, 01:10 PM
These are the common games I found and we would have the advantage over the Jets.

Jets

Steelers- L
Bengals- W
49ers- W
Ravens- L
Browns- W
Cardinals- W
Seahawks- TBD
Rams- TBD

Currently 4-2 in common games

Bills

Steelers- TBD
Bengals- TBD
49ers- TBD
Ravens- L
Browns- W
Cardinals- W
Seahawks- W
Rams- W

Currently 4-1 vs. common opponents. If we won out we would be 7-1 so we would win this tiebreaker easily.

We need the Patriots to beat the Jets. If they don't then the other tiebreakers won't matter because they would win tiebreaker #2. The Pats should win this game :pray:

If we win out we will be in the playoffs and everything else will fall into place. Lets pray for the Chiefs, Seahawks and Colts pulling out vicotries today.

Shiny Chicken
12-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Don't forget Green Bay... they need to beat Jax as well.

BillsFever21
12-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Don't forget Green Bay... they need to beat Jax as well.
I'm not real worried about this. Green Bay should be a lock at Lambeau field. At least I hope :pray: