PDA

View Full Version : Are we underrating the Jets now?

WG
11-21-2002, 10:53 AM
http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=765070

That's the Fox game preview.

There's no question that the Jets are playing much better ball now than they were during their first five games.

From the article/preview:

"Pennington, the AFC's highest-rated and most efficient passer, is completing an NFL-high 71 percent of his passes and has thrown for 1,745 yards and 10 touchdowns."

"...4-2 as a starter."

"New York has six special teams touchdowns against Buffalo in the last six meetings, including two in their first meeting this season."

"Morton is averaging 25.6 yards per kick return, while Moss is averaging 17.6 per punt return and has returned two for touchdowns."

I don't think this Jets squad is the same team we faced early on. Martin wasn't 100% then and Testeverde and their passing game wasn't sharp either.

Under Pennington as a starter:

The Jets have scored 154 points in 6 games for a healthy 25.7 PPG avg.
They've allowed 97, a 16.2 PPG avg.
Their passing game is much, much better and far healthier.

And this doesn't say anything about the rushing tandem of Martin/Jordan who have combined for 860 yards rushing and 378 yards receiving.

They're playing like one of the top teams in the NFL since Pennington began starting and he seems to be improving by the week.

This is going to be a real test for the Bills in a tough, tough road game.

lordofgun
11-21-2002, 10:57 AM
We're the ones who knocked MArtin out of that game. He's never recovered from it.

That said, I really hope the Bills aren't looking at this game as an easy win.

85inthehall
11-21-2002, 11:00 AM
In order to evaluate the Jets you have to look at pre Chad and now with Chad:

First Five Last Five

Record 1-4 4-1

Rush Yds/G 77.6 121.6

Rush Yds Allowed/G 190.8 78.6

Avg. Offensive Plays 53 60

Avg. Time of Poss. 25:09 32:50

Avg. Defensive Plays 67 58

Offensive Turnovers 12 4

Defensive Takeaways 6 10

LABillsFan
11-21-2002, 11:04 AM
There is no team the Bills can take lightly. The wins have come against bad teams and were narrow in the margin of victory.

Earthquake Enyart
11-21-2002, 11:08 AM
Chad is getting a little too much credit in my book. Curtis Martin getting healthy is the reason they are better.

85inthehall
11-21-2002, 11:15 AM
21 70
18 65
13 37
19 74
22 112
Not exactly stellar #'s for Martin -- the Jets are better because Pennington is hitting 71% of his passes, emergence of coles who has more catches and yards over his last 6 games than Moulds, the O-Line is not giving up big sacks and are run blocking better, Time of possession inour favor, the Defense is generating more Turnovers, tackling better, and stopping the run. - But Chad has brought a belief to the Jets the didn't have with Vinnie -- he is playing amazing ball - his only INT was a deflected ball - compare him to brady's first 6 starts last year and he is blowing him out of the water.

wharfrat
11-21-2002, 11:19 AM
Chad is probably a big part of why they are doing better... Aside from the fact that the team has rallied around him, he is a more accurate passer than Vinny. He is not a "big play" QB IMO, but more of a ball control type passer. If you can bend but not break with his quick outs and passes in the flat, you should be OK... Martin getting healthier helps, but Chad makes fewer mistakes...by far.... than Vinny did. You guys could win it.... but it's certainly no "gimme game". Their D is gelling better now than the last time you played also... so don't expect it to be as easy to score on them...
It will be a good game...I'd rather see the Bills win it, but either way, it puts one of you another game back....

WG
11-21-2002, 11:27 AM
Welcome to The Zone's MBs!!!

Nice analyses BTW!!

While Martin may not be having a banner year, you must look at the rushing production from the tandem of Martin and Jordan. Jordan's a big back w/ speed that had a big game against a very tough S.D. rush D; 13 for 107, a TD and 12 more yards receiving. He also contributed in the Detroit game with 11 for 63. He's averaging 4.6/carry. But like Henry, he has had fumbling issues.

blcny
11-21-2002, 01:29 PM
I'm not underrating the Jets, but look who they have played the last 6 games.
Detroit-3-7 Win 31-14
Miami-6-4 Win 13-10
San Diego-7-3 Win 44-13
Clevland-5-5 Loss 24-21
Minnisota-3-7 Win 20-7
Kansan City-5-5 Loss 29-25
Let's not make the Jets out to be a great team. They have one good win against San Diego. Otherwise they are just beating bad team, just like us. They beat Miami(so did we) against Lucas, not Fiedler. I'm not saying Buffalo is any better. I think we are very evenly matched. Let's not jump on the Chad Pennington wagon just yet. The guy put up good numbers against average or below average defenses(take away the San Diego game). Only 13 pts against Miami.
I think we have a good chance a winning this game, our only disadvantage is playing in New Jersry.

venis2k1
11-21-2002, 01:32 PM
These jets are dangerous, we will need to bring our best game on sunday

blcny
11-21-2002, 01:39 PM
Also Pennington has only thrown for more then 253 yards once in the last 6 games, and that was against the Vike's. He is only averaging 232 passing yds per game, in the last 6 games.
We need to worry more about the run then Pennington passing.

Judge
11-21-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by venis2k1
These jets are dangerous, we will need to bring our best game on sunday

Great classic cliche. Isn't that true every week?!

LuvDaBills11
11-21-2002, 05:58 PM
i agree with wys the bills are probably thinking this is a easy game but every game matters

i hope they have a better plan than in kc

WG
11-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by blcny
Also Pennington has only thrown for more then 253 yards once in the last 6 games, and that was against the Vike's. He is only averaging 232 passing yds per game, in the last 6 games.
We need to worry more about the run then Pennington passing.

Everyone keeps over emphasizing yards in this league. Yards this, yards that. Yards schmards I say. :D

It's points that go up that matter and what you do with the yards that you do get. In that respect, the Jets have been outperforming us w/ Pennington at the helm vice our last 4 weeks.

Regarding who they've beaten that you've "discounted", the Chargers, Browns, and Phins have excellent Ds. They put up 13 against the Phins and we put up 16 offensively. Do you really think that we can get 44 points against S.D. the way that we have been playing over our last 4 or 5? Even 24 against the Browns is better than we've done. We couldn't get more than that against Detroit at home.

I think this Bills team is walking a fine line and on the high side between 2-8 and 5-5. This Sunday will reveal much however. If we can't beat the Jets, then we won't have a prayer against N.E., G.B., or S.D. All three of them are better teams than we are. So if we lose on Sunday, I'd be lookin' for 7-9 at best.

Time will tell however. I'd be happy at the rate we've been goin' if we can put up 24 against the Jets.