PDA

View Full Version : If you're out, don't give up

lordofgun
11-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Nov. 19, 2002
By Scott Engel
Commissioner.COM Managing Editor

To those of us who are still in the playoff race, there's nothing like a win. It makes us feel safe, secure and warm in our beds as we go to sleep with visions of Donald Driver touchdowns dancing in our heads.

But we can't sleep so well when the victory is "tainted." To some of you, a win might be a win, no matter how you get it. But I say there's a bad aftertaste when your victory is marred by the apathy of your opponent.

Until now, there was nothing I hated more as a Fantasy owner than careless opponents who started players who were on bye weeks. To me, a victory was hollow if my opponent was guaranteed zeroes even before play started. Entering Week 11, I figured all that nonsense was behind me.

How wrong I was! Now, instead of facing opponents who start players on bye weeks, I square off against teams with "illegal" lineups. Teams who are hopelessly out of the race, and forget to start two running backs as stated in my league's rules. The team I am playing automatically loses the game under our league rules for not entering a proper lineup.

I would have won the game anyway, but knowing my opponent doesn't care anymore takes some of the fun out of my victory. I like to earn my wins. I often think I would rather lose to an opponent who doesn't care than beat one who doesn't even bother to change his lineup.

Don't give up on your season because Donovan McNabb is injured.(AP)
Hopefully, I won't face a team that will start Donovan McNabb next week. But it might happen. And that's shameful and a disgrace to the league. Just because you are out doesn't mean you should give up. It ruins the competitive balance of the league and makes the "careless" owner look bad.

In 2000, one of my teams was decimated by injuries, and I suffered through my worst season ever, winning just three games. Yet I won two of those games in the final four weeks of the season, knocking off playoff-bound teams. As an owner and a part of the league, I owe it to my fellow owners to keep participating. My continued efforts assured that the playoff seedings would not be marred by "phantom" outcomes.

If you are out of contention, you need to salvage some good things from your season. Such as being a "spoiler," especially against one of your closest trash-talking friends. If you can't make it to the playoffs, bring some people down with you. Ruin their playoff chances. You can always say, "I had a disappointing year, but I A.) knocked you out of contention or B.) hurt your chances."

You must also salvage your self respect. You don't want to look back on the season as a complete disaster. A few wins down the stretch can ease your pain. If you start injured players or don't pay attention anymore, your fellow owners will lose respect for you as a Fantasy owner. They will grow angry at you when your team gives others easy wins and distorts the playoff picture.

And ultimately, your league mates might not want you back next season if you don't care. You might be ruining your Fantasy future with an apathetic approach. If you are reading this column, however, there is still hope for you. You are apparently still paying some attention.

If you lose, lose with honor. And those you beat should still tip their hats to you even if you don't make the playoffs. Because if you still care, you are still a winner in my eyes. And even if you have a losing record this year, your dedication can only mean a better future ahead in Fantasy Football. Those who remain dedicated eventually get rewarded for their efforts, and your losing ways won't last long.

Earthquake Enyart
11-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Keep telling youself that, loser. :snicker:

lordofgun
11-21-2002, 11:51 AM
:lol:

Whatever. Both of your teams will be eliminated from the tourney after this week. :tongue:

Earthquake Enyart
11-21-2002, 11:54 AM
By hook or by crook. :monte:

lordofgun
11-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Whatever it takes, big guy. :D

shelby
11-21-2002, 07:10 PM
the pottymouths suck copiously.

:doh:

clumping platelets
11-21-2002, 09:54 PM
:gag:

Sabre Ally
11-21-2002, 10:12 PM
The Pottymouths will probably win this week.

Don Cherry
11-22-2002, 12:08 AM
Turn that frown upside down, you tatooed zebra faced freak!

Get back out there and turn that 6 game losing streak around! What's the matter, got to many europeans on that football roster do ya? No toughness?

Sabre Ally
11-22-2002, 12:32 AM
Shhhhh.......Don, I was trying to cheer my bud Shelby up, but in reality, I'm gonna kick her butt. Don't tell anyone though. :D

shelby
11-22-2002, 05:02 AM
:angry: all y'all!!
:biggrin:

Everyone is good at something.....evidently losing is my forte.;)

:hail: Ally!