PDA

View Full Version : Ref Incentive

Akhippo
11-21-2002, 05:00 PM
I think to really put the refs feet to the fire, anytime that a play is challenged and overturned the team that would of gotten screwed gets an extra five yards. Not realistic, but it would really make the refs accountable to at least the teams on the field. Alot better than the refs throwing a flag. huddling for awhile. making the wrong calls still. Then having to sit through watching the same 3 plays over and over and over for another couple minutes.:nana:

Cntrygal
11-21-2002, 06:08 PM
They should definately be held accountable for blatent miscalls. :madfire:

btw... Welcome to the Zone! :)

Typ0
11-21-2002, 06:12 PM
The more I see from the Ref's the more I think the folks in Cleveland have the right idea with the beer bottles. The only adjustment I would make is to throw water balloons instead of plastic bottles. I bet I could soak a ref from the top row of the stadium.

ArcticWildMan
11-21-2002, 07:23 PM
Oh cool..another Alaskan Bills fan :D

Welcome bud!

LuvDaBills11
11-21-2002, 07:39 PM
i think the refs should be fined for bad calls that are blatant. that way they would have accounability.

and when a call is overturned they should have to apologize over the microphone for being blind old geezers

SoCalBillsFan
11-21-2002, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Akhippo
I think to really put the refs feet to the fire, anytime that a play is challenged and overturned the team that would of gotten screwed gets an extra five yards. Not realistic, but it would really make the refs accountable to at least the teams on the field. Alot better than the refs throwing a flag. huddling for awhile. making the wrong calls still. Then having to sit through watching the same 3 plays over and over and over for another couple minutes.:nana:

I really dont think the refs are trying to make bad calls. It's not like if you "put fire under their feet" they stop making bad calls. It happens. unfortunately it happens a lot to us.

Mr. Miyagi
11-21-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by LuvDaBills11
and when a call is overturned they should have to apologize over the microphone for being blind old geezers
:laughter: :laughter: That's great!

Or maybe we should make them punt a ball once while both teams D are charging at them full speed. That'd send them the message.

No I don't think they're trying to make bad calls. They happen. But with the amount of money that they make, they should be a lot more accountable for the calls they make. I mean, I make probably 1/4 of any of the refs do, and I am held completely responsible for every decision I make at work.

TigerJ
11-21-2002, 10:14 PM
I think NFL ought to have a feedback site for every game just for fan comments on officiating. Then there ought to be a year end review of the officiating that includes but is not limited to fan feedback. The worst referee and lineman should be put on probation. If named "worst" for two consecutive years they should be canned and replaced the following year. The best one should receive some kind of reward each year.

Buffarama
11-21-2002, 10:53 PM
I'm officially offering the refs 1000 Zonebucks to throw the game for us.

WG
11-21-2002, 11:02 PM
You beat me to it Tiger. That's the idea though. Refs that make too many horrendous calls get probation or relegated to 'holding the sticks' or something like that, or if they're really bad, then they get fired.

Some of these guys' performances have to be getting worse as they age too. I'm not trying to be insensitive to anyone over say 50 or so, but officiating in the NFL has got to take quite a bit out of them. The older they are, the more I'm sure it sucks out of them. I'm just not sure that all of those guys have the physical and mental stamina anymore to be on top of all their calls.

Wasn't it that one ref this season who was looking right at the line in the endzone when a WR that we were playing CLEARLY had one foot in. The official, who was only feet away standing on the same exact line, looked across the field to another ref and then signaled a TD which was expediently overturned upon review. I really don't know how anyone could have missed that call. So something has got to be up. That's one call that there was absolutely no excuse for making.

Akhippo
11-22-2002, 12:37 PM
Its not that they dont make mistakes. Thats the way the ball bounces. Part of the game. I can take a call every now and then. I also realize that the degree of difficulty of theyre job is high. However it seems like its gotten worse and the availibility of replay doesnt help. I make mistakes at work also. But if it was a situation of me having say a proof reader to catch my mistakes. And I knew that I wouldnt get in trouble for making them in the first place. I wouldnt think twice about mispelling something as easy as my name, knowing I had someone to fix it for me. You become more lax.

Cntrygal
11-22-2002, 12:43 PM
Hey Akhippo - check out the twilight zone. ArcticWildMan posts "Alaskan Pic of the day"... and I caption them.. or at least explain them. :D