X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chernobylwraiths
    • Jan 2003

Haters and Lovers

Like any hot topic, there are many similarities between the two sides. Both sides want to see the Bills win. Both sides know that Drew is not the only or at least main reason for this latest string of victories. And, dare I say it, BOTH sides agree that Drew is the best option to win now.

I also see thin skin on both sides as well. I have seen both sides start leading threads just baiting the other side to jump in. Without fail, the other side has ALWAYS taken the bait. When someone criticizes Drew after a win (especially a lopsided win) the "lovers" come out of the closet to jump that person. Of course I agree that Drew has had some less than stellar moments in the win streak, but this team was supposed to be built so that it wouldn't put as much onus on Drew. The Bills have beaten their last five opponents by an average of 21 points, what need is there for great QB numbers?

I believe there is little chance for an open QB competition next year. I too was ready to throw in the towel on Drew. I had seen progress from him early on, but it wasn't consistant. I don't know if he is the QB he once was, but his is making a lot better decisions now. I see him throwing the ball away more when there is no play. I see him moving a little better in the pocket, I see him a little bit more at ease in the pocket as well. Does this translate into him being the QB he once was? I doubt it. I am also not extremely positive that he can take this team to that championship level, but his progress I think is deserving of that chance. Hopefully (and I don't think all the pieces will fall into place) we can find out this year. I don't know if this team can play much better as a team.

I will say that I would love to see Mularkey throw Losman out for a series or two early in the game as a change of pace. The man of many gadgets could be looked upon very favorably if it works and it would give Losman a taste of a game that has yet to be decided.

In closing, I think both sides may have unrealistic expectations. I think the "haters" are looking for much better passing numbers with virtually no mistakes. I think some of the "lovers" are a little "pollyanna" thinking that no matter what Drew does, as long as we win it is OK. Me being in the "lover" category, I think his play has been far from poor with just a couple of notable exceptions. I just hope for the best. Go Bills!
  • Typ0
    honey pie
    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
    Like any hot topic, there are many similarities between the two sides. Both sides want to see the Bills win. Both sides know that Drew is not the only or at least main reason for this latest string of victories. And, dare I say it, BOTH sides agree that Drew is the best option to win now.

I also see thin skin on both sides as well. I have seen both sides start leading threads just baiting the other side to jump in. Without fail, the other side has ALWAYS taken the bait. When someone criticizes Drew after a win (especially a lopsided win) the "lovers" come out of the closet to jump that person. Of course I agree that Drew has had some less than stellar moments in the win streak, but this team was supposed to be built so that it wouldn't put as much onus on Drew. The Bills have beaten their last five opponents by an average of 21 points, what need is there for great QB numbers?

I believe there is little chance for an open QB competition next year. I too was ready to throw in the towel on Drew. I had seen progress from him early on, but it wasn't consistant. I don't know if he is the QB he once was, but his is making a lot better decisions now. I see him throwing the ball away more when there is no play. I see him moving a little better in the pocket, I see him a little bit more at ease in the pocket as well. Does this translate into him being the QB he once was? I doubt it. I am also not extremely positive that he can take this team to that championship level, but his progress I think is deserving of that chance. Hopefully (and I don't think all the pieces will fall into place) we can find out this year. I don't know if this team can play much better as a team.

I will say that I would love to see Mularkey throw Losman out for a series or two early in the game as a change of pace. The man of many gadgets could be looked upon very favorably if it works and it would give Losman a taste of a game that has yet to be decided.

In closing, I think both sides may have unrealistic expectations. I think the "haters" are looking for much better passing numbers with virtually no mistakes. I think some of the "lovers" are a little "pollyanna" thinking that no matter what Drew does, as long as we win it is OK. Me being in the "lover" category, I think his play has been far from poor with just a couple of notable exceptions. I just hope for the best. Go Bills!
    JP Playing like that would be a huge mistake...but no matter what happens if he works hard he's got a chance to be our QB at the opener next season.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
      • Jul 2002

I stay far away from this battle.
      I not a lover or a hater.
      I'm a hopeful.

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

I just love the Bills!
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• The King
          Without me it's just Awe so
          • Jun 2004

Im a believer. I believe in Drew.
          I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
          "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
          You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
          It was all
          true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
          He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
          mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• Iehoshua
            • Jan 2003

I am behind the team and every player on the roster. I hope Takeo has an int return for a td every game. I hope our d-linemen continue to get more ints than our opponent's defensive backs. I hope Drew is accurate and deadly in his throws and continues his occasional metamorphoses into Drew Vick-soe. I hope Moorman continues to boom his punts into the upper stratosphere for them to bounce dead at the enemy's own 1/2 yard line. I hope Fast Freddie and Mr. T-Mac-Gee return kicks for tds. Most important, I hope we win every game we play!

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Originally posted by mybills
              I just love the Bills!
              Me too. I root for whomever is out there playing for the Bills, including Drew with all of his imperfections. But I really do hope that Drew will continue to be a major contributor to a few more big wins for us, so that even his detractors will find some peace and happiness.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• The King
                Without me it's just Awe so
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Darth Buffalo
                I hope Drew is accurate and deadly in his throws and continues his occasional metamorphoses into Drew Vick-soe!
                Pos Rep. LOL
                I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                It was all
                true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• DaBills
                  • Sep 2004

" I think the "haters" are looking for much better passing numbers with virtually no mistakes."

Not true. We'll take average as long as we win...
                  “The Bills: better than the record indicates.”

Comment

• DaBills
                    • Sep 2004

... it's just the sputtering and stalled drives that are frustrating.

Comment

• DaBills
                      • Sep 2004

"And, dare I say it, BOTH sides agree that Drew is the best option to win now."

Maybe. He's the only option, not the best. Big difference.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                        • Jul 2002

Bledsoe is fine with me as long as he keeps winning but he does have to up his game a little. He has been very mediocre as of the last few weeks and you have to be better than that going into the playoffs...it will catch up on us ssoner or later. I would like to see Losman get a fair shot at No 1 QB next year and I think that he will.
                        My Band
                        daveviterna.com

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                          Maybe?
                          • Oct 2003

Originally posted by DaBills

Exactly.

Comment

• DaBills
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by mchurchfie
                            Bledsoe is fine with me as long as he keeps winning but he does have to up his game a little. He has been very mediocre as of the last few weeks and you have to be better than that going into the playoffs...it will catch up on us ssoner or later. I would like to see Losman get a fair shot at No 1 QB next year and I think that he will.
                            It's more than 10 words, but it's true.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by DaBills

No difference. If he is the only option to win, then that would be the best option as well. I don't think he is the only option though.

Comment

Working...
                              X