PDA

View Full Version : Reinforcements arriving for the backfield

The_Philster
12-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Running back Dante Brown agreed to sign with the Bills on Tuesday, bolstering a backfield that could be without Willis McGahee and Travis Henry against San Francisco this weekend.

Brown is a two-year veteran who was released by Pittsburgh last month and spent the past three weeks on Cleveland's practice roster. He's appeared in only three career games, registering one carry for 2 yards, but is familiar with Bills rookie coach Mike Mularkey, the Steelers' former offensive coordinator....more (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/football/nfl/12/21/bc.fbn.bills.runningbac.ap/)

Jayhawk
12-21-2004, 03:36 PM
what no james stewart?

The_Philster
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
http://i.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/players/6685.jpg
http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/397774

1 attempt for 2 yards is all he's had so I don't know what to think of this guy myself

MustWin
12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
I doubt he gets much carries. I honestly think we are going to see a 100-yard performance out of Shaud Williams.

The Pink Bear
12-21-2004, 04:22 PM
The Pink Bear knows what to think:
This guy is a C-H-U-M-P!

Jan Reimers
12-21-2004, 04:35 PM
The conjecture is that we'll put Dorenbos on IR to make room for Brown.

Captain gameboy
12-21-2004, 04:56 PM
Start him over Drew.

BAM
12-21-2004, 04:57 PM
:phew: For a minute there I thought the subtitle said Rueben Brown signs with the Bills... :phew:

The_Philster
12-21-2004, 05:23 PM
The conjecture is that we'll put Dorenbos on IR to make room for Brown.I think you're right :up:

Start him over Drew. :spit:

For a minute there I thought the subtitle said Rueben Brown signs with the Bills... That was what i thought when I went to put it up on the front page :laughter:

Armpalm Ali Musch
12-21-2004, 05:34 PM
What the hell is going on with the Bills? Where is James Stewart?

helmetguy
12-21-2004, 05:38 PM
:phew: For a minute there I thought the subtitle said Rueben Brown signs with the Bills... :phew:
SHHHH! Juice might get aroused!

FTG
12-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Does this mean Willis is more injured than they are letting on?

HAMMER
12-21-2004, 07:42 PM
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread, good point.

unpaid_bills
12-21-2004, 07:45 PM
my bet is Willis will play - we need these next two games.

:pray:

Jayhawk
12-21-2004, 08:06 PM
if it doesn't hurt him too much, I'd put Willis in there to get the 1,000.

DraftBoy
12-21-2004, 08:41 PM
2003 Stats:
133 Att
562 yds
6 TD's
4.2 avg

10 rec
97 yards
1 TD
9.7 avg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/players/8537/

Not much to look at it but let me go back through some of my draft pages and see what I can find on him if anything.

DraftBoy
12-21-2004, 08:44 PM
Best Offensive Player: Senior RB Dante Brown. He's big, fast and very powerful with the ability to bowl over defenders and the quickness to run away from them.

From the Memphis Tigers 2003 Season Preview:
http://www.collegefootballnews.com/Conference_USA/2002_Previews/Memphis_Preview.htm

DraftBoy
12-21-2004, 08:45 PM

This shows me more that they dont trust Joe Burns, for some unnanounced reason. Not that Willis is hurt more than thought.

Michael82
12-21-2004, 08:59 PM
It shows me that Travis Henry isn't coming back this season....

Dozerdog
12-21-2004, 09:07 PM
I think everyone is reading way to much into this.

Right now, we have 2 undrafted, healthy RBs on the roster. That's it. McGahee will sit for a week, and we have roster spots available due to injuries and IR moves.

I think Joe Burns and Shaud Williams will get 10-15 carries each, and I bet we hit San Fran with an early arial assault to run up a big first half lead.

This guy never touches the ball

B-DON
12-21-2004, 09:14 PM
hmmm, a former pittsburgh running back two weeks before our biggest game of the year against who else but pittsburgh, sounds good to me

Forward_Lateral
12-21-2004, 09:37 PM

Right now, we have 2 undrafted, healthy RBs on the roster. That's it. McGahee will sit for a week, and we have roster spots available due to injuries and IR moves.

I think Joe Burns and Shaud Williams will get 10-15 carries each, and I bet we hit San Fran with an early arial assault to run up a big first half lead.

I agree, I also find it interesting that he spent most of the season with the Steelers. Maybe they brought him in to help with that? I'm sure he has some sort of info, like audibles, etc.

BAM
12-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Never thought of it that way, Lateral. You gotta think how much they will change their playbook up because of this though... Cowher is not dumb.

I like our chances against them in B-LO though... :gobills:

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
12-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Never thought of it that way, Lateral. You gotta think how much they will change their playbook up because of this though... Cowher is not dumb.

:

It's a chess match....I bring in one of your old offensive players so you think you have to spend time installing new audibles, signals, etc....and thus this leaves you with less time to prepare for the game.

And maybe we get a diamond in the rough....you just never know.

I would have preferred to bump Burns to RB and bring Luke Lawton back...I think he could contribute more than this fella....but it is all about strategy.

DraftBoy
12-22-2004, 09:24 AM
It's a chess match....I bring in one of your old offensive players so you think you have to spend time installing new audibles, signals, etc....and thus this leaves you with less time to prepare for the game.

And maybe we get a diamond in the rough....you just never know.

I would have preferred to bump Burns to RB and bring Luke Lawton back...I think he could contribute more than this fella....but it is all about strategy.

Lawton is a FB what more could he bring, atleast this kid is a HB.

THATHURMANATOR
12-22-2004, 10:04 AM
Lawton is a FB what more could he bring, atleast this kid is a HB.

He said move Burns back to HB insinuating that Lawton would replace Burns as a Fullback.

justasportsfan
12-22-2004, 10:10 AM
Shaud will be fine against the 9er's. Both Willis and Henry will be ready for Pitts.

Earthquake Enyart
12-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Wonder where Simonton is?

TigerJ
12-22-2004, 11:37 AM
The Pink Bear knows what to think:
This guy is a C-H-U-M-P!

Probably, but in a perfect end to the season, he probably only sees the field for a few plays. He's insurance because because the Bills coaching staff has decided the chances are good that neither McGahee or Travis Henry will be available Sunday, Shaud Williams is too much of a light weight to trust him to go the whole game without a backup, and Joe Burns is even more of a chump. Burns can block some and play a little special teams, but he has absolutely no imagination or speed to run the ball.

trapezeus
12-22-2004, 12:01 PM

Amen, DozerDog....thanks for not pushing the panic button.

John Doe
12-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Donohue may be looking at him for next season as well with Henry probably being gone. He's young and strong, he spent time on the Steeler's roster which isn't too shabby, and Cleveland saw something in him as well.