PDA

View Full Version : NFL QB Rankings: Drew is 24th

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 04:44 PM
Being ranked 24th in the league is not even average. He sucks.

BAM
12-21-2004, 04:45 PM
What are the Bills as a team ranked again? :up: :D

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Team: Very good.

QB: Sucks.

:;

EDS
12-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Team: Very good.

QB: Sucks.

:;

I can live with that. Better then having a good quarterback and crappy team.

ICE1
12-21-2004, 06:29 PM
What are the Bills as a team ranked again? :up: :D
Immagine where they would be ranked with a decent QB. Oh I would say a 10-4 record at least by now, a playoff spot guarenteed etc.

Philagape
12-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Immagine where they would be ranked with a decent QB. Oh I would say a 10-4 record at least by now, a playoff spot guarenteed etc.

If we had Peyton Manning, LaDainian Tomlinson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Antonio Gates and the KC O-line, we'd be 14-0.

BAM
12-21-2004, 06:33 PM
Yah I agree. Bledsoe is not who I would prefer to see tossing the pill, but I see no reason to hate on him while he is here. It most likely is not gonna change anything.

:deadhorse:

buffalofan19
12-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Here's a question, and I am being totally serious:

What other "decent" QB could the Bills have acquired this season? Garcia?:limp: :winkpunch Kitna? He looked absolutely horrible last week. Roethlisberger? No teams were willing to trade with the Bills for a higher pick. Losman? Not ready yet. Shane Matthews? No way in hell.

Point being: Bledsoe is and always was the best option for the Bills this year (except maybe Roethlisberger, but acquiring him was next to impossible).

BAM
12-21-2004, 06:40 PM
Volek! He wasn't an option though.

dannyek71
12-21-2004, 06:49 PM
A QB can have all the stats in the world, but if he doesnt win games its worthless. DB has done enough to win, thats all it takes. Lately he hasnt been making bad plays like he did against the ravens. When your team as a whole is playing great, there is no need for the QB to make plays.

We have won 8 out of the last 10 games. I think that is our best 10 game record since the Jim Kelly era...and we are still complaining about the QB?:shocked:

Im by no means a DB supporter, but he can throw for 2yrds a game as long as we keep winning.

G. Host
12-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Volek! He wasn't an option though.
Bills tried but he decided to stay with familiar; maybe he figgered McNair would get hurt again. I suppose they could have tried harder (thrown more dollars at him or guarenteed him to be starter) but Bills have gone that route before.

BSXIII
12-21-2004, 06:55 PM

Here's a similar misleading stat. Willis Mcgahee is ranked 32nd in rushing yards per attempt, which is also well below average.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=rush&sort=avg&pos=off&league=nfl&order=true&season=2&year=2004

helmetguy
12-21-2004, 06:59 PM
Let's not forget all the other "serviceable" alternatives (meaning cheaper has beens) that were mentioned on this site...Stewart, comes to mind there. Then, there was all the love for Brunell and Warner. Of course, Travis Brown was all the rage until he got hurt....and to think no one mentioned Jeff George!

dannyek71
12-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Let's not forget all the other "serviceable" alternatives (meaning cheaper has beens) that were mentioned on this site...Stewart, comes to mind there. Then, there was all the love for Brunell and Warner. Of course, Travis Brown was all the rage until he got hurt....and to think no one mentioned Jeff George!
Id have played for free:clap:

cordog
12-21-2004, 07:44 PM

where did you find this info at?

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 07:50 PM
Here's a similar misleading stat. Willis Mcgahee is ranked 32nd in rushing yards per attempt, which is also well below average.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=rush&sort=avg&pos=off&league=nfl&order=true&season=2&year=2004Actually this stat is not misleading when you consider WM did not start from Day 1. Drew did, so Drew's ranking is not misleading at all. He is below average, except from a salary perspective where he is in the top 10.

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 07:50 PM
nfl.com

helmetguy
12-21-2004, 07:52 PM
It's ranked by Passer Efficiency Rating. Odd thing, though, God's gift to Football-Michael Vick, is ranked 26th. Among those ranked ahead of Bledsoe are: Warner, Rattay, Harrington, Kerry Collins...real standouts with impressive win totals, huh?

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 07:57 PM
Among those ranked ahead of Bledsoe are: Warner, Rattay, Harrington, Kerry Collins...real standouts with impressive win totals, huh?
But it's a TEAM game! You can't blame Collins or Harrington for their TEAM'S records, right?

:roflmao:

Pot, meet kettle.

cordog
12-21-2004, 08:01 PM
It's ranked by Passer Efficiency Rating. Odd thing, though, God's gift to Football-Michael Vick, is ranked 26th. Among those ranked ahead of Bledsoe are: Warner, Rattay, Harrington, Kerry Collins...real standouts with impressive win totals, huh?

I remember ole RJs PER was always over 90. Shows you how much you can rely on it.

helmetguy
12-21-2004, 08:02 PM
Curious thing, though...we're 8th in the league in scoring; 7th in least ppg allowed. Yep! That settles it, we truly suck...we're only averaging about 6 more points a game than we're giving up...Man do I hate stats!

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 08:14 PM
Curious thing, though...we're 8th in the league in scoring; 7th in least ppg allowed. Yep! That settles it, we truly suck...we're only averaging about 6 more points a game than we're giving up...Man do I hate stats!
Focus on the topic at hand. Drew is a less than average qb. Not talking about the team.

And what about your previous post? You said Collins and Harrington have "impressive win totals" yet you always say its a team game. Which is it?

ScottLawrence
12-21-2004, 08:15 PM

You make a good point and I agree.

But....Do we have any other choice?

Losman is by no means ready and I would rather trust Bledsoe a 12 year veteran to manage the game over a raw rookie in Losman right now.

Next year is a different story but, now, I'll take Bledsoe.

BSXIII
12-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Actually this stat is not misleading when you consider WM did not start from Day 1. Drew did, so Drew's ranking is not misleading at all. He is below average, except from a salary perspective where he is in the top 10.

I don't see how not starting the first 3 games would have much of an affect on McGahee's yards per carry. So if you want to look only at numbers there are 31 better RB's (and a few QB's with enough attempts), better than McGahee. Everyone knows that is a ridiculous statement, even though it can be backed by stats.

These rankings are meaningless in both cases.

Turf
12-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Teaching Drew to be an efficent NFL QB is like teaching me to ride a Harley, then making me jump 20 cars Evil Kanevil style. I might get lucky, it might happen, but it aint in my blood.
Great arm, hellya.
Great mind?
Can we drop it?
Drew is what he is, he might get lucky and get hot.

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 09:14 PM
I don't see how not starting the first 3 games would have much of an affect on McGahee's yards per carry. So if you want to look only at numbers there are 31 better RB's (and a few QB's with enough attempts), better than McGahee. Everyone knows that is a ridiculous statement, even though it can be backed by stats.

These rankings are meaningless in both cases.
Another thing you need to remember is YPC is only one aspect of an RBs effectiveness. However the QB rating is the culmination of multiple aspects of a QB's effectiveness, e.g., TDs, INTs, YDS, comp %, etc. While it doesn't tell the whole story, it is not meaningless. You can disregard it if you like, up to you.

unpaid_bills
12-21-2004, 09:31 PM
The stat that matters 8-6 & In the Hunt
:gobills::yankee:

Go Bills

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 09:35 PM
The stat that matters 8-6 & In the Hunt
Agreed. In spite of Drew, we are 8-6 and may just make it. :up:

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 09:39 PM

Losman is by no means ready and I would rather trust Bledsoe a 12 year veteran to manage the game over a raw rookie in Losman right now.

Next year is a different story but, now, I'll take Bledsoe.
Oh, I hear you and agree. We don't have any other choice at this point. The debate (for me) has never been about who we put in now. The debate is calling a spade a spade....our win streak is because our D, ST and WM have stepped up enough to cover for lack of a good QB. Drew is not, has never been nor will ever be the answer for this team. We're stuck with him now, but I can't see how anyone with any football knowledge can actually say he should be starting next year and/or he is on par with other good QBs.

Dozerdog
12-21-2004, 10:13 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/statistics?stat=rush&sort=avg&pos=off&league=nfl&order=true&season=2&year=2004

Actually this stat is not misleading when you consider WM did not start from Day 1. Drew did, so Drew's ranking is not misleading at all. He is below average, except from a salary perspective where he is in the top 10.
What does amount of starts have to do with Yards Per Rushing Attempt?

helmetguy
12-21-2004, 10:32 PM
Hey Doz! Did you know Rodney Peete is ranked higher than Bledsoe in PER? And Craig Nall? In fact, Nall is the top ranked QB in the league! Next thing you know, Bledsoe's W/L record for this season will be 0-6. Musta been somewhere else when the Bills were winning, huh?

buffalofan19
12-21-2004, 10:36 PM
To say the Bills are winning in spite of Drew Bledsoe is moronic. If you want to say he is not stellar, fine. If you want to say he can not single-handedly carry this team to the Super Bowl, fine. I see those arguments. However, he has been significantly contributing to this team's recent success. He played very well in Seattle (even with the 3 picks), awesome in Miami and just fair vs. Cleveland and Cincinnati. The numbers the past two weeks were definitely not great, but he did do his share to help the team out. On Sunday, when the Bills were down 7-0 he made a great throw to get the Bills into scoring position (flea-flicker or not, it was still a good throw), and then made another good throw to tie it. By the time he took the field again, the Bills were up big (thanks to Special Teams and Defense, but still up by alot). There was no need to do anything spectacular. He still engineered quite a few clock-killing scoring drives (granted they were FG's but that's fine when you are up by 20+ points), and didn't allow the Bengals to gain any momentum back. That was what he needed to do Sunday, and I commend him for that. This is not to say I don't want to see him play better in the upcoming weeks, but Bledsoe did what he needed to on Sunday.

If the Bills won in spite of Drew Bledsoe his stats would be something like 9-27 45 yds. 3 INTs 23.1 passer rating, but the Buffalo still managed to win 9-7. Then I would see your point, because that would mean Bledsoe actually hindered the Bills for winning. His performance the last couple of weeks, though not by any means spectacular, has not hindered but has helped the Bills. Any coach or player on the Bills would tell you that.

Dozerdog
12-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Bledsoe does rank tied for 7th for QB starts/Wins with 8.

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 11:11 PM
What does amount of starts have to do with Yards Per Rushing Attempt?Umm....

More games = more attempts for more yards = effect on YPA.

Hope that helps.

Dozerdog
12-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Umm....

More games = more attempts for more yards = effect on YPA.

Hope that helps.
I thought Yards per attempt = the average distance for each carry.

It has nothing to do with starts.

Chris Taylor? Blaylock? :rofl:

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 11:34 PM
I thought Yards per attempt = the average distance for each carry.

It has nothing to do with starts.

Chris Taylor? Blaylock? :rofl:
Umm...

How many carries did WM have when TH started?

Jax: 9
Oak: 2
NE: 0
Jets: 8

Yeah, that wouldn't have any impact on his stats. Not like he needs to get warmed up with a few carries before getting into a groove or anything.

Tatonka
12-21-2004, 11:55 PM
usually the less carries.. the higher the ypc should be.. imho.

BSXIII
12-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Umm...

How many carries did WM have when TH started?

Jax: 9
Oak: 2
NE: 0
Jets: 8

Yeah, that wouldn't have any impact on his stats. Not like he needs to get warmed up with a few carries before getting into a groove or anything.

Problem with this argument is that there are plenty of RB's with less carries than Willis who have superior stats. Check the link below. There is no relationship between a RB's number of carries and YPA, once you have a decent sample size.

Btw, Henry actually has the lowest YPA on the list. So if you wanna go solely by stats, then Henry is the worst RB in the league (with at least 90 carries), and Willis is playing poorly as well.

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 12:21 AM
So if you wanna go solely by stats, then Henry is the worst RB in the league (with at least 90 carries), and Willis is playing poorly as well.

You are the one who mentioned YPC as the qualifier, not me, so there's no need to debate this point any further if you don't think it holds water. I'm fine with that assessment. As I mentioned earlier, YPC and QB rating are not equivalent measuring tools.

Another thing you need to remember is YPC is only one aspect of an RBs effectiveness. However the QB rating is the culmination of multiple aspects of a QB's effectiveness, e.g., TDs, INTs, YDS, comp %, etc. While it doesn't tell the whole story, it is not meaningless. You can disregard it if you like, up to you.

BSXIII
12-22-2004, 12:44 AM
Another problem with this argument is that YPC and QB rating are not equivalent measuring tools, as I mentioned above.

They’re not the equivalent, but YPA is the main stat used to determine the strength of a running game. Generally the higher the YPA, the more the team will rely on the running game, which will lead to higher yards per game, and so on.

Anyhow, QB ratings don’t take into account situational stats either. When the Bills have big leads late in games, as they have had lately, the object then becomes to move the chains and run the clock out rather than make big plays. Getting into scoring position is a nice bonus, but not turning the ball over is the top priority. Bledsoe and the offense have done a good job of that. However that’s not factored into the QB ratings.

ArcticWildMan
12-22-2004, 12:49 AM
I'm not a big Bledsoe fan but to argue about his performance right now is a waste of time. We're on a winning streak and are one of the most feared teams in the NFL right now. I equate Drew's play to that of John Kitna when he helped the Ravens win the SB. Nothing spectacular but also not doing anything to make his team lose.

IMO, the bigger issue is what happens next season. Unless we gave up this year's draft pick for a clip board holder, Losman has to be the starter that is penciled in.

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 12:53 AM
They’re not the equivalent, but YPA is the main stat used to determine the strength of a running game. Generally the higher the YPA, the more the team will rely on the running game, which will lead to higher yards per game, and so on.

Anyhow, QB ratings don’t take into account situational stats either. When the Bills have big leads late in games, as they have had lately, the object then becomes to move the chains and run the clock out rather than make big plays. Getting into scoring position is a nice bonus, but not turning the ball over is the top priority. Bledsoe and the offense have done a good job of that. However that’s not factored into the QB ratings.I agree, not everything is factored into the QB rating. I mentioned that earlier by saying they don't tell the whole story. However, they do tell a good part of it IMO and can be used to help gauge how effective a QB is over time.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree on it. That's fine. Bottom line for me is that there is far more evidence to show Drew is an average to less than average QB than there is evidence showing he is a good to great QB. The win streak is due to the D, ST and WM stepping up, not by Drew getting better IMHO.

Jan Reimers
12-22-2004, 04:17 AM
To again quote the great Mark Twain: There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. The only statistic that counts in a game is the final score, and in a season, wins versus losses.

What the heck are we arguing about? The TEAM - from Bledsoe to Banta - is playing well enough to win. Who gives a damn about a contrived statistic like PER?

Teams win games, not stats. Why don't we enjoy this run and stop worrying about every bit of trivia and minutia that statisticians dream up to help prove some arcane point.

We're winning. Why can't we just be happy with that?

The_Philster
12-22-2004, 05:03 AM
John Kitna when he helped the Ravens win the SB. .You mean Trent Dilfer? :;

Billz_fan
12-22-2004, 06:11 AM
Im not a big fan of Drew. However the Bills are winning and Im not gonna worry about it while thats happening :D

To many of us have Jim Kelly still stuck in our minds and I don't see getting a shot at another QB like that untill we put together some 2-14 seasons :laughter:

helmetguy
12-22-2004, 06:19 AM
Im not a big fan of Drew. However the Bills are winning and Im not gonna worry about it while thats happening :D

To many of us have Jim Kelly still stuck in our minds and I don't see getting a shot at another QB like that untill we put together some 2-14 seasons :laughter:
Time heals all wounds. I can remember, during the Kelly Era, when callers to sports talk radio and letters to the Buffalo News blamed Kelly for all of Buffalo's ills. Or, better yet, there were the ones who wanted to dump Kelly in favor of Frank Reich (even before the Comeback). The backup is ALWAYS the better QB. Kelly just keeps getting bigger and better with age. That's just the way it goes.

colin
12-22-2004, 07:11 AM
once again the board's number one tennis fan shows his ignorance.

by showing the qb rating as a yard stick for a QB, then totally ignoring our RBs YPA, you show yourself to be an unthinking parody of your user name. you have zero understanding the game, how different players play together, or what a team is.

the fact that you think a qb's rating tells you something about him and only about him, but a RB's YPA does not, and you seem to forget that there are 10 other men on O other than the QB is insane. How do you think poor or stellar line play might affect both those numbers? do you think WRs might have something to do with the passing game?

the same way you jump up and beg for garcia, brunell, and warner, all of whom have shown to be much more limited quarterbacks than bledsoe this year is sad. the fact that all of your proposed solutions at quarterback's failures have not even begun to show you how there might just be more than a single man on the football team is laughable.

i have to assume that you are a security guard or parking lot attendant with internet access, because i don't see how you'd be able to maintain another job, post as much as you do, yet still have zero understanding of all things football.

i feel sorry for you, i really do.

Jan Reimers
12-22-2004, 07:17 AM

by showing the qb rating as a yard stick for a QB, then totally ignoring our RBs YPA, you show yourself to be an unthinking parody of your user name. you have zero understanding the game, how different players play together, or what a team is.

the fact that you think a qb's rating tells you something about him and only about him, but a RB's YPA does not, and you seem to forget that there are 10 other men on O other than the QB is insane. How do you think poor or stellar line play might affect both those numbers? do you think WRs might have something to do with the passing game?

the same way you jump up and beg for garcia, brunell, and warner, all of whom have shown to be much more limited quarterbacks than bledsoe this year is sad. the fact that all of your proposed solutions at quarterback's failures have not even begun to show you how there might just be more than a single man on the football team is laughable.

i have to assume that you are a security guard or parking lot attendant with internet access, because i don't see how you'd be able to maintain another job, post as much as you do, yet still have zero understanding of all things football.

Beautiful.

justasportsfan
12-22-2004, 08:10 AM

Next year is a different story but, now, I'll take Bledsoe.I agree. But when people criticize Drew inspite of being mediocre at best even though he is our best option as of now, why are we labeled haters?

When Willis has a bad game no one is hard on him because he's been consistent enough that there isn't a benefit of the doubt that he is becoming the best player on the team. Drew is considered by many as a weak link in the passing game. People aren't b!tching as much about the OL and yet Drew is still playing like a rookie.

But we are winning... yeah because of the D and ST. You don't pay a qb 4 million to not screw up. Like I said , he may be the best qb we have but people shouldn't bash us for criticizing someone who is supposedly a HOFmer and a vet.

I wish I could attend practice to see if Drew is really our best chance or maybe TD isn't giving up on his auquisition.

finsrclowns
12-22-2004, 08:13 AM
I'd like to hear what Mularkey, Wyche and Donahoe had to say about Drew that wasn't for PR. I'd bet they'd say he's played pretty well overall.

STAMPY
12-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Where does Drew rank among QB's in last 8 weeks? Hmmmmmmmmmm i think he's alot higher huh HATERS

EDS
12-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Time heals all wounds. I can remember, during the Kelly Era, when callers to sports talk radio and letters to the Buffalo News blamed Kelly for all of Buffalo's ills. Or, better yet, there were the ones who wanted to dump Kelly in favor of Frank Reich (even before the Comeback). The backup is ALWAYS the better QB. Kelly just keeps getting bigger and better with age. That's just the way it goes.

So true. Kelly was villified at times.

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Good job breaking TOS. Enjoy your forthcoming warning.

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 12:34 PM
But we are winning... yeah because of the D and ST. You don't pay a qb 4 million to not screw up. Like I said , he may be the best qb we have but people shouldn't bash us for criticizing someone who is supposedly a HOFmer and a vet.
I think his cap hit is $4M and change, but he makes more than $4M when you look at his bonus amount. Clump posted it somewhere but I don't have the link. I think at the end of the day it is over $6M+ in Drew's pocket.

northernbillfan
12-22-2004, 02:15 PM
Good job breaking TOS. Enjoy your forthcoming warning.
You should also watch your step as you skirt the TOS often.

Tatonka
12-22-2004, 03:31 PM

that is so unecessary to add all that ****.. good work.. your a much bigger man now and i am sure that everyone thinks your way smarter now.

he rips on a profootball player and you take the opportunity to try and get personal about him because he doesnt agree with you.. nice work.. very hitler-esque post.

colin
12-23-2004, 04:54 AM
that is so unecessary to add all that ****.. good work.. your a much bigger man now and i am sure that everyone thinks your way smarter now.

he rips on a profootball player and you take the opportunity to try and get personal about him because he doesnt agree with you.. nice work.. very hitler-esque post.

It's you're, not your.

you're = you are

nice try though

Tatonka
12-29-2004, 01:48 PM
It's you're, not your.

you're = you are

nice try though
:loser:

EDS
12-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Drew is up to 22nd now. Still not a great quarterback but getting the job done, which is all that counts in the end.

The King
12-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Drew is #1 on the Bills thats all I can worry about.

THATHURMANATOR
12-29-2004, 03:01 PM
. The win streak is due to the D, ST and WM stepping up, not by Drew getting better IMHO.

I think you are arguing with yourself man. Who doesn't agree with these things?

Drew is doing a decent job. Give him that at least.

Iehoshua
12-29-2004, 03:02 PM

Negged.