PDA

View Full Version : What is the most complex position on a football team?

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 05:44 PM
What is the most complex position on a football team?

Armpalm Ali Musch
12-21-2004, 05:47 PM
Offensive G/C or QB.

Crisis
12-21-2004, 05:48 PM
What is the most complex position on a football team?

Head coach

EDS
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Head coach

Agreed.

helmetguy
12-21-2004, 05:50 PM
On the field? Center. For the unitiated, that's the guy who sends the ball backwards, between his legs.

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 05:52 PM
Head coach
Agreed, but I meant player position. See choices above.

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 05:57 PM
Punter? BAM, you just aren't taking this seriously, are you. :tongue:

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 05:59 PM
If people are honest, this shouldn't even be close. The QB by far is the most complex position on the team. Show me an argument otherwise.

BAM
12-21-2004, 06:02 PM
I know what yer up to... :snicker:

PS. QB :D

mybills
12-21-2004, 06:04 PM
On the field? Center. For the unitiated, that's the guy who sends the ball backwards, between his legs.
Well, it is for Teague..although he hasn't been too bad lately, he couldn't figure out that you block <b>after</b> the snap..how many times has he been flagged for a false start? :shakeno:

helmetguy
12-21-2004, 06:19 PM
I think McNally has had a lot to do with how Teague is playing. The center has to make all the line calls, protections, etc. As we saw with Gilbride and his aides, the Center really didn't have much to work with. Their plan was "what plan?"

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 07:40 PM
I know what yer up to... :snicker:

PS. QB :D
Glad you decided to be honest. :;

The most complex position on the field is QB.

complex (adj.)

1 : having many varied interrelated parts, patterns, or elements and consequently hard to understand

...i.e, the QB has the most to do of any position on the field. Hence there are more things for a QB to screw up with, given those multiple (complex) responsibilities. This is why 99% of the time they are the highest paid player on the team. This is why they are the goat or the hero.

You can win with a less-than-average QB if the rest of the team is playing extremely well (our case right now), but why put that kind of pressure on them? A good QB allows the team to make some mistakes. A great QB allows the team a few more. A less-than-average QB will expose the team moreso than any other position on the field.

EDS
12-21-2004, 08:11 PM
Your point that Drew is at best an average QB is correct, but why keep harping on it? At this point, given the position the team is in, Drew is the QB and will be until the season is over, whether that be in the playoffs or not. The next best option at QB for the Bills is Losman. He will likely be the full time starter for the Bills by some point next year. His time will come. For now we live and die with Drew.

Get on the bus or get out of the way.

The_Philster
12-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Your point that Drew is at best an average QB is correct, but why keep harping on it? That's the question we've been asking for months :whistle:

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Your point that Drew is at best an average QB is correct, but why keep harping on it? At this point, given the position the team is in, Drew is the QB and will be until the season is over, whether that be in the playoffs or not. The next best option at QB for the Bills is Losman. He will likely be the full time starter for the Bills by some point next year. His time will come. For now we live and die with Drew.

The reason I keep harping on it is that there are still people who argue that Drew should be starting next year because he is "winning". All I (and DaBills) are trying to make clear is that the team is winning because the D, ST and WM have all risen to the point where all Drew has to do is not throw INTs. It is not because Drew is the right QB for the team, or that he is a good QB, etc. Once the DLC can admit that, my work is done.

finsrclowns
12-21-2004, 08:20 PM

How about under the bus? :naughty:

EDS
12-21-2004, 08:24 PM
I realize now that I am a hater - I hate both the DLCers and the haters. So many good discussions have been ruined because of these two factions incessent whining and moaning.

Mr. Cynical
12-21-2004, 08:46 PM
How about under the bus? :naughty:
:chicken:

tampabay25690
12-22-2004, 04:32 AM
Definitely QB 110% without a doubt

Mr. Miyagi
12-22-2004, 06:44 AM
I agree QBs need to be smart to handle all the complexities required by the position. What was Drew's score on the IQ test? If I recall it was quite high.

The King
12-22-2004, 06:59 AM
If people are honest, this shouldn't even be close. The QB by far is the most complex position on the team. Show me an argument otherwise.

Ok... if you knew the answer why did you start a whole thread?

I do think playing QB is one of the toughest on the field, but I think CB is tougher. They are very different in what actually makes them tough, but CB is no cake walk.

I have played both in my day and they are both positions with a lot of pressure. As a corner almost everything you do is reaction when that WR lines up across from you there are about 250 manuevers facing you and you have to be ready for all of them because if your not, they are taking it to the house at your expense. Like the QB the CB has to be aware of everything happening on the field a lot of time you will be baited across the middle into a pile or 2 Wr's will try to cross and create a jam and you may have to pick up another reciever you always have to be on your toes literally! Its the only way to be able to cut and move in the backfield.

I have a great amount of respect for the QB, the position comes with great responsibility but you have to remember too he has 5-6 guys protecting him at all times so he has time to see the field. Corners dont have time to watch and figure out what there man is going to be doing as soon as the ball is snapped your off and unless your playing a zone you dont know where your going to end up. Not to mention playaction, Flea Flickers, Shovel passes and reverses these are all things you are left alone to react to. You have to remember that the QB always has the blueprint.

Its really hard to compare the two because they require different skills and different knowledge. Hands down I would say the QB has to deal with the most pressure, but I think playing Cornerback is a lot more difficult.

Jayhawk
12-22-2004, 07:01 AM
backup waterboy

Jan Reimers
12-22-2004, 07:07 AM
The midget in charge of McGahee.

Sorry to be so flippant, but these not-so-thinly-disguised anti-Drew threads are f***ing sickening.

Earthquake Enyart
12-22-2004, 07:11 AM
The midget in charge of McGahee.

Sorry to be so flippant, but these not-so-thinly-disguised anti-Drew threads are f***ing sickening.
I want to know more about that midget.

If you ask the Lions, it would be the holder on extra points.

Jan Reimers
12-22-2004, 07:15 AM

I think technically he's a dwarf - the Bills' short guy, not the Lions' holder.

Mr. Miyagi
12-22-2004, 07:30 AM
So is EE's midget fetish.

TigerJ
12-22-2004, 07:33 AM

Agreed, this is a no brainer. I think following QB are the Free Safety and Middle linebacking positions because those are the guys who usually are making the defensive calls. After that it's the center who makes the offensive line calls. At the bottom of the list are the running back, punter and kicker.

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Ok... if you knew the answer why did you start a whole thread?Because some people keep downplaying the effect a QB has on the success of the team. He has the most complex role, which in turn means there is more to screw up, which in turn means it can have the most impact of any other player on the results of the game.

That was my only point. :D

Earthquake Enyart
12-22-2004, 12:56 PM
*yawn*

chernobylwraiths
12-22-2004, 12:56 PM
The reason I keep harping on it is that there are still people who argue that Drew should be starting next year because he is "winning". All I (and DaBills) are trying to make clear is that the team is winning because the D, ST and WM have all risen to the point where all Drew has to do is not throw INTs. It is not because Drew is the right QB for the team, or that he is a good QB, etc. Once the DLC can admit that, my work is done.

Many of the "lovers" have tried to point out that the decision to keep Drew as the starter are not ours to make and that any reasonable person who sees the Bills continue to win would assume that the QB position will remain status quo next year. Why would MM tamper with success unless Losman shows something he hasn't shown yet in training camp next year. I contend however that whatever Losman shows in TC next season, MM will pick Drew to be the starter.

I'm not saying he should, just that he probably will. Drew has shown a lot of progress in some areas this year AND he has had some horrendous moments as well. I'd like to see what he does against Pittsburgh first. And hopefully in the playoffs if we get that far.

chernobylwraiths
12-22-2004, 12:58 PM

Actually, I think the Lions would say the snapper. Hell, most GUYS would say the snapper. What were we talking about again?

EDS
12-22-2004, 12:58 PM
Just remember that even very good to great quarterbacks lose games for their team. Brett Farve and Tom Brady proved that last weekend.

chernobylwraiths
12-22-2004, 01:00 PM
Because some people keep downplaying the effect a QB has on the success of the team. He has the most complex role, which in turn means there is more to screw up, which in turn means it can have the most impact of any other player on the results of the game.

With a five game winning streak, I guess that would bode well for Drew.

Relax, I saw what you posted earlier about a team overcoming the QB.

justasportsfan
12-22-2004, 01:40 PM
It depends on the type of O we are playing. No-huddle/colts type of O , then the qb is the most complexed position. SB ravens/recent bills type of offense , then the rb (player position) and ST/D (units that have become offensive weapons) are the most complexed positions since they are the ones who have to win games for us.

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Just remember that even very good to great quarterbacks lose games for their team. Brett Farve and Tom Brady proved that last weekend.
Exactly. Those examples support my thread perfectly.

The_Philster
12-22-2004, 04:10 PM
Because some people keep downplaying the effect a QB has on the success of the team. link? :rolleyes: :liar2:

finsrclowns
12-22-2004, 04:15 PM

:snooze:

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 04:20 PM
:snooze:

DaBills
12-22-2004, 05:32 PM
Once the DLC can admit that, my work is done.

Not to worry. You'll be employed for a while.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 05:35 PM
Not to worry. You'll be employed for a while.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
Sad, but true.

Philagape
12-22-2004, 06:07 PM
So the point of all this is to say that, even though we've won a bunch in a row, that Bledsoe COULD HAVE messed it up for us? That's .... pathological.

If the point is to say he WILL mess it up, then let's talk about it when it happens. So far, a certain prognostications for this team (remember 6-10?) have been wrong.

The_Philster
12-22-2004, 07:09 PM
So far, a certain prognostications for this team (remember 6-10?) have been wrong.considering who posted that prognostication ad nauseum, why is anyone surprised it's wrong? :idunno:

finsrclowns
12-22-2004, 08:04 PM

:lolpoint: :monkeyp: Cynical

:moon:

Mr. Cynical
12-22-2004, 10:33 PM
:lolpoint: :monkeyp: Cynical

:moon:

The Predator
12-22-2004, 11:31 PM