PDA

View Full Version : 8500 in Boston last night

Judge
11-22-2002, 07:36 AM
They said on the radio that only 8500 showed up for the Bruins game last night- and this is for the top team in the Eastern Conference.

Was it Halloween again already?

Rude American
11-22-2002, 08:38 AM
8500, eh? That's hilarious. And an original 6 team no less.

I used to think very highly of Baston as a hockey town. Not anymore. That's inexcusable. The Leafs could dress little girls (some are close) and they'd still sell out the ACC.

Earthquake Enyart
11-22-2002, 09:08 AM
For many years they did.

Rude American
11-22-2002, 09:21 AM
I'm trying to forget those Ballard days.

Earthquake Enyart
11-22-2002, 09:27 AM
I don't blame you. I always wondered why King Clancy never whipped his a$$.

Rude American
11-22-2002, 09:57 AM
You remeber them sitting together in the box eh? You're Canadian originally aren't you? From Toronto, right? Are you in Chicago on a work permit like TN1 or green card?

Ebenezer
11-22-2002, 09:58 AM
8500?? According to Mr. Bettman, it must be Buffalo's fault...oh wait, we haven't played there yet this year.

Earthquake Enyart
11-22-2002, 10:02 AM
I used to watch HNIC on Ch. 5 or 9 from the southtowns.

I used to watch wrestling from MLG too. Haystacks Calhoun was my favorite.

I always thought it was funny how Ballard's bunker wasn't even very good seats, and he owned the team. Must have been near the exit, for a quick getaway.

Ebenezer
11-22-2002, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
I used to watch HNIC on Ch. 5 or 9 from the southtowns.

HNIC was on CBC Ch. 5
The Leafs used to be on every Wednesday on CHCH CH. 11 from Hamilton.

Buffarama
11-22-2002, 10:12 AM
I still think the nets are hurting attendance.

lordofgun
11-22-2002, 10:13 AM
The nets play in NJ. :shakeno:

:D

clumping platelets
11-22-2002, 10:17 AM
I luv LOG

Judge
11-22-2002, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Buffarama
I still think the nets are hurting attendance.

Why? Because the "extreme sport" thrill of trying to catch a 100-mph frozen piece of rubber has been eliminated?

Ebenezer
11-22-2002, 10:28 AM
No! Because yet another aspect of the game has been altered. The sight line is horrible with those nets and people will have to take time to get used to it.

lordofgun
11-22-2002, 10:29 AM
Why couldn't they just raise the glass?

Ebenezer
11-22-2002, 10:31 AM
1 death in 100+ years of hockey???...they didn't HAVE to do anything. Some attorney told them to cover their ass.

Rude American
11-22-2002, 10:54 AM
good question LOG. the mesh they use is really thick and black and it really does obstruct your view. (I was victim to it last week) They cuold have used a finer mesh and be just as effective. pucks that hit are usually redirects and have lost their mustard.

Earthquake Enyart
11-22-2002, 11:10 AM
They should just make the pucks softer.

Typ0
11-22-2002, 12:16 PM
LOG:

Then you would have more glass flying when the glass breaks. I have seen plenty of people get hurt with glass falling on their heads.

I don't like the nets either but I haven't been to a game with them up yet either. My feeling is the people sitting down there need to be more responsible. I sat down in death row a few times and was really surprised people were down their socializing and having a good time when there was play on the ice...and people had their children down there too. You have to know if you are sitting directly in line of a potential puck you have to take resonsibility and pay attention so you don't get hit in the head. I kept *****ing at my partner because she didn't pay attention. She dumped me.

Buffarama
11-22-2002, 01:18 PM
Like Rude said, why can't they use a clear and finer netting. We do live in an age of polymers and kevlar.
Possibly a star wars defense missile system located behind each goal would work too. It would also attract fans.

Valerie
11-22-2002, 01:20 PM
I was hit in the head with a hockey puck when I was about 7 or 8 years old and I wasn't down in the first few rows either. I really can't remember much about it, all I remember is it was at an Islanders game and the puck came flying up and whacked me in the head. I had one hell of a lump too! We immediately left. And no, I did NOT get the puck. I don't like the Islanders. :down:

Typ0
11-22-2002, 01:31 PM
At least we have an explanation now Jaded.

clumping platelets
11-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Jaded 7
I was hit in the head with a hockey puck when I was about 7 or 8 years old

I believe this explains everything :chuckle:

:ontome:

Typ0
11-22-2002, 01:32 PM
Nice thought buff. How about an exploding puck that turns into dust as soon as it penetrates throught the electro-magnetic field around the rink?

Valerie
11-22-2002, 01:44 PM

Why don't they just put a ceiling on top of the rink? You know, right on top of the glass sides?

lordofgun
11-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
LOG: Then you would have more glass flying when the glass breaks. I have seen plenty of people get hurt with glass falling on their heads.

Yeah, but just think how awesome a huge glass explosion would look.

:ontome:

Buffarama
11-22-2002, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Typ0
Nice thought buff. How about an exploding puck that turns into dust as soon as it penetrates throught the electro-magnetic field around the rink?

Geez if we had that, we wouldn't need a hockey game!
I like the idea, the Bettman Force Field.
I also think an Amish referee with a long beard and black coat would bring fans in as well.

Buffarama
11-22-2002, 02:08 PM

Why don't they just put a ceiling on top of the rink? You know, right on top of the glass sides?

Because they would suffocate. Let's revisit the puck incident..... :)

Valerie
11-22-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Buffarama Because they would suffocate.
Then make it a wire mesh, like a hamster cage. :)

Originally posted by Buffarama Let's revisit the puck incident..... :)
Are you implying that I'm ditzy, Buff? :dizzy: lol

clumping platelets
11-22-2002, 02:28 PM
:mods:

BironsGirl43
11-22-2002, 02:55 PM
I was hit in the head with a hockey puck when I was about 7 or 8 years old and I wasn't down in the first few rows either. I really can't remember much about it, all I remember is it was at an Islanders game and the puck came flying up and whacked me in the head. I had one hell of a lump too! We immediately left. And no, I did NOT get the puck. I don't like the Islanders. :down:

Wow Jaded! For real? I've been to hundreds of hockey games I never once got hit with the puck or even close to getting hit.. but the one baseball game I went to.. I was almost hit by the ball.. but I ducked.. lol.. that's weird! :girlsmil:

Valerie
11-22-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by BironsGirl43 Wow Jaded! For real? I've been to hundreds of hockey games I never once got hit with the puck or even close to getting hit.. but the one baseball game I went to.. I was almost hit by the ball.. but I ducked.. lol.. that's weird! :girlsmil:
Yup, that's the truth, BironsGirl. Maybe that's why I've never been interested in hockey. Bad memories. lol I've got lots of luck! :) Bad luck, but luck nonetheless. lol ;)

BironsGirl43
11-22-2002, 03:34 PM
Hehehehe don't let that stop you from going to games.. otherwise you're really missing out!! :)

Valerie
11-22-2002, 05:40 PM
It hasn't stopped me, BironsGirl. I've been to several hockey games since the incident. Mostly within the past 3 years. The company I work for has club seats for the Caps. But, it's hard to go and watch a game when you really don't understand what's going on and when you don't know any of the players. :( I usually go with my girlfriends who don't understand hockey either. So we usually talk through the entire game. lol I'll be going to a game with Ticat in February, so hopefully I'll get more out of it. Between what he's explained already and having him there to answer all my dumb questions, I just might end up liking hockey. :)

Buffarama
11-22-2002, 05:52 PM

Then make it a wire mesh, like a hamster cage. :)

Are you implying that I'm ditzy, Buff? :dizzy: lol

Not me......:j7:

Sabre Ally
11-22-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Ebenezer
8500?? According to Mr. Bettman, it must be Buffalo's fault...oh wait, we haven't played there yet this year.

tonight, eh. :chuckle:

SABURZFAN
11-23-2002, 07:05 AM
i find it very puzzling that only 8500 people showed up.the BRUINS are playing some good hockey too.what gives???did they raise the ticket prices too high??is the economy real bad??