PDA

View Full Version : Defense and ST's = Offensive Woes

madness
12-22-2004, 07:03 PM
I haven't been able to watch to many games, so correct me if I'm wrong....

I'd think that because of the way special teams and the defense have been playing lately, we'd be in short field situations most of the time. As many people that have been complaining about our offensive woes, I'm hoping they would take this into consideration.

Feedback?

helmetguy
12-22-2004, 07:21 PM
It don't mean anything unless the O has to march 95 yards on every drive and get 14 points every drive. Anything less? Total ineptitude.

madness
12-22-2004, 07:29 PM
It don't mean anything unless the O has to march 95 yards on every drive and get 14 points every drive. Anything less? Total ineptitude.
:lolcry: I guess that answers my question. The offense has a long way to go.

Crisis
12-22-2004, 07:30 PM

I'd think that because of the way special teams and the defense have been playing lately, we'd be in short field situations most of the time. As many people that have been complaining about our offensive woes, I'm hoping they would take this into consideration.

Feedback?

I don't understand what you're saying.

madness
12-22-2004, 08:17 PM
I don't understand what you're saying.

I guess what I'm asking is... Does it matter if we don't throw for 300 yards and run for 100 yards when our defense is so dominant? The offense seems to be scoring when it needs to be and we are winning games, so why complain? As for not playing the best teams excuse, are there really any dominate teams out there right now? Watching the past few weeks of football, I'd say that is a big fat NO.

Sorry, I'm just pumped about our team right now and I believe only two letters matter at the end of the day. As long as we end up with the 'W', I could care less about how much DB sucks or that we have a rookie coach. Let's hope the cards fall our way this weekend and we better our chances to get in the Playoffs. We might not go all the way to the Super Bowl, but I know this team will give whoever we play hell.

Okay, I'll get down off my soapbox now and stop my :rant: Oh, and one more thing...

:gobills: :jam:

Typ0
12-22-2004, 08:21 PM

Marching 80 yards total after getting the ball within thier field and coming out with six points sucks. Good thing Lindell wasn't his sucky self there too...lmao.

helmetguy
12-22-2004, 08:32 PM
What difference does it make how many yards it takes? Bettis got three TD's in a game on only ONE net yard rushing. Just give me more points than the other guys get. If the other guys get none...even better! How we get 'em? Who cares? We get 'em, they don't, game over.

nuklz2594
12-22-2004, 08:40 PM
the ravens won a superbowl with trent dilfer at the qb. need i say more. defense wins championships-look at parcells, belichek,billick,lombardi,landry, just to name a few.

helmetguy
12-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Balance. Billick, I concede, won mostly with a smothering defense. However, Parcells, Lombardi and Landry had pretty efficient offenses, even though they didn't light up the scoreboard light a Christmas tree. Parcell's offense held the ball nearly 40 minutes in SB XXV. Lombardi had Bart Starr, Max McGee, Elijah Pitts and Boyd Dowler. Landry's "Doomsday Defense" was well complimented by the likes of Roger Staubach, Duane Thomas, Mike Ditka, "Bullet" Bob Hayes and the like. Add Chuck Noll to that latter group as well, with his Steel Curtain on one side and Bradshaw, Harris, Swann, Stallworth, and one hell of an offensive line.

cordog
12-22-2004, 11:38 PM

Com'on Helmet, didnt you know Peyton drives 96 yards everytime they score? Every good offense never gets a short field, they all drive 90 yards!
Get with the program!!

cordog
12-22-2004, 11:43 PM
What difference does it make how many yards it takes? Bettis got three TD's in a game on only ONE net yard rushing. Just give me more points than the other guys get. If the other guys get none...even better! How we get 'em? Who cares? We get 'em, they don't, game over.

Thats just crazy talk. You act like actually watch football or something! It doesnt matter how many we score, whatmatters is how we scored them!

The funny thing was at the beginning of the year when the bills O had short fields ala the Reese int in the Jags game, we *****ed because they didnt put it in, and rightly so, now people are *****ing because they didnt drive 80 yds to put it in.

jamze132
12-23-2004, 10:32 AM
:lolcry: I guess that answers my question. The offense has a long way to go.

No, just Drew!

helmetguy
12-23-2004, 03:25 PM
Thats just crazy talk. You act like actually watch football or something! It doesnt matter how many we score, whatmatters is how we scored them!

You know me better than that! Why watch the damned game when the boxscores are so much more exciting?

Now, leave me alone and let me finish memorizing the actuarial tables!

justasportsfan
12-23-2004, 03:45 PM
As long as we are able to take advantage of what our D and ST gives us, I'm happy. Prblem is, when our D and ST gives our O a short field, we come out w/ 3 pts. We should be scoring 50 points based on what our D and ST is doing but it isn't happening.

DaBills
12-23-2004, 04:01 PM

Feedback?

Have taken it into consideration plenty. BTW, Who's complaining we don't score on long drives? Just the opposite. There're problems scoring TDs with the MANY short fields the O gets, (courtesy of the D and ST). We've had very good starting position, yet many times settle for FG's. That's a big offensive woe imo, if that trend continues.

I don't care if we start at, for example, our 5 or the opponents' 40, as long we can score more TDs than FG's, and more points than opponents, it's all good.

But I'd have to say that driving from our 5 and settling for a FG is a better trend than if we had to settle for one starting at their 40. Both drive lengths resulting on FG's reveal a problem regarding red zone scoring, but at least a 5-yard start shows the ability to sustain a drive and give our D a rest.

I'll live with that over the short-field scenario of FGs and 3-and-outs.