PDA

View Full Version : Vick Hype

The King
12-23-2004, 07:00 AM
When will this hype around Michael Vick end? He is going to the Pro Bowl based on marketing and hype. Vick is exciting to watch, but going to Hawaii when guys like Aaron Brooks, Joey Harrington and Brian Grisese have better passing stats than you is a joke. Farve's numbers blow Vicks away but because Farve doesnt have a pair of nikes with his name on them, or a Farve Experience commercial, he will sit home and watch Vick pretend to know how to play QB. Vick is an amazing athlete one of the best in the NFL but enough is enough. Well maybe we will get the chance to watch Takeo spin Vicks head around. :feedback:

Rank Player Team Yds Att Cmp TDs Ints Long Rating
1 Daunte Culpepper MIN 4133 481 336 34 11 82 110.1
2 Donovan McNabb PHI 3839 466 297 30 8 80 103.8
3 Brett Favre GB 3527 484 307 25 16 79 88.7
4 Aaron Brooks NO 3367 494 283 19 14 57 79.2
5 Jake Delhomme CAR 3365 459 267 23 15 63 84.2
6 Marc Bulger STL 3289 419 272 17 12 56 90.5
7 Matt Hasselbeck SEA 3191 447 258 20 14 60 81.8
8 Vinny Testaverde DAL 3067 426 251 15 19 53 74.3
9 Joey Harrington DET 2535 410 226 17 10 62 77.4
10 Brian Griese TB 2311 295 203 17 10 68 97.2
11 Michael Vick ATL 2278 314 175 13 12 62 76.6

OpIv37
12-23-2004, 07:19 AM
I have Vick on my fantasy team- one week he gets 19 points, and the next -2. To me, that demonstrates that he doesn't understand the position. Ever watch him? He moves around the field like crazy and makes some incredible runs and some incredible throws, but his judgement isn't good. And worst of all, he doesn't protect the damn ball. He hangs it out there in his left hand when he scrambles, which is why he fumbles all the time. It drives me absolutely insane that one of the most "hyped" athlete doesn't seem to understand the most fundamental aspect of the game: protecting the football.

Mr. Miyagi
12-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Moved to Bills board. :miyagi:

R. Rich
12-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Vick is erratic. His passing numbers are modest at best but are bolstered by his rushing numbers. Still, as OpIv37 said, he does tend to make some poor decisions and has difficulty protecting the football. I think his decision making will only improve which will make him like McNabb in terms of athleticism AND the ability to direct an offense.

Jan Reimers
12-23-2004, 07:54 AM
Vick is a super athlete and potentially a great QB. He is not a Pro Bowler yet, however.

RedEyE
12-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Actually this could prove vick's worth. I know it's just one game, but he'll finally be operating behind an OL. A Pro-Bowl OL. Let's see what he can do.

The King
12-23-2004, 08:08 AM
Actually this could prove vick's worth. I know it's just one game, but he'll finally be operating behind an OL. A Pro-Bowl OL. Let's see what he can do.

Andy Reid should start working on some plays for vick now.

Uncle Jesse
12-23-2004, 08:15 AM
OVERRATED

NC-BILLS44
12-23-2004, 09:10 AM
OVERRATED

:clap:

helmetguy
12-23-2004, 09:11 AM
Terrific tailback. A liability as a QB.

Iehoshua
12-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Vick has less business being named to the probowl than Bledsoe would have.

:down:

I demand Vick be recalled immediately or Bledsoe be added to the AFC!!
:mad:

The King
12-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Vick has less business being named to the probowl than Bledsoe would have.

:down:

I demand Vick be recalled immediately or Bledsoe be added to the AFC!!
:mad:

Hear Hear!

madness
12-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Overrated. A superior athlete shouldn't be the most sacked QB in the league. I'm surprised being thrown to the turf violently hasn't been added to the Michael Vick Experience yet.

Ed
12-23-2004, 09:45 AM
Yay, I'm not the only one sick of all the Vick hype. It's true no one ever talks about his sacks, fumbles or negative plays, and he makes a lot of them. I hate how all the analysts at ESPN will always try there hardest to make excuses for him too. So many people act like he's the greatest player ever, but he just needs time to prove it. Until he does, people need to get over it.

Jeff1220
12-23-2004, 09:51 AM
An amazing athlete, yes. However, I don't know MVick personally, but he doesn't seem to be a leader at all. When he's in interviews, he seems sort of distant and slightly spaced out. He just doesn't give off the sort of persona that can rally the team and motivate them. This seems to go hand in hand with his type of play. He doesn't seem to want to rely on the team, but rather do it all himself, whether it be run or pass. ...just a thought.

I agree that, as of now, he has no business in the pro bowl. He still has some maturing to do imo.

jamze132
12-23-2004, 10:01 AM
Michael Vick...hmmm. Well, we all know the only reason he will play in Hawaii. I think the NFL needs to re-think the selection process and not give the fans an even vote with the players and coaches. Like I said in a previous post, there are these little kids who vote over and over for guys like Ray Lewis and Michael Vick because it is the cool thing to do. most of the kiddie voters don't know that just about every year there are players that have way better stats. How could London Fletcher get snubbed? As happy as I am to not see any more Patriots on the team, how the hell did Dillon get shafted?

Anyways, Vick has the potential to be a great QB but for right now he is overated in my opinion.

The King
12-23-2004, 10:05 AM
Michael Vick...hmmm. Well, we all know the only reason he will play in Hawaii. I think the NFL needs to re-think the selection process and not give the fans an even vote with the players and coaches. Like I said in a previous post, there are these little kids who vote over and over for guys like Ray Lewis and Michael Vick because it is the cool thing to do. most of the kiddie voters don't know that just about every year there are players that have way better stats. How could London Fletcher get snubbed? As happy as I am to not see any more Patriots on the team, how the hell did Dillon get shafted?

Anyways, Vick has the potential to be a great QB but for right now he is overated in my opinion.

Yeah I forgot to mention that. Imagine Brady made it and Dillon didnt. Dillon is their whole offense.

jamze132
12-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Yeah I forgot to mention that. Imagine Brady made it and Dillon didnt. Dillon is their whole offense.

Exactly

Turf
12-23-2004, 10:53 AM
I agree Vick doesn't belong in the pro bowl.

His hype has been amazing. He was crowned the best player in the NFL when he first came in, and he hadn't even done anything yet.

STAMPY
12-23-2004, 11:03 AM
I agree Vick doesn't belong in the pro bowl.

His hype has been amazing. He was crowned the best player in the NFL when he first came in, and he hadn't even done anything yet.

vick is more about making plays that win games rather than stats. look at the team compared to last year. subtract vick and that team has 2 wins. nuff said. vick is a gamebreaker

Michael82
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
VICK is the MOST OVERRATED player in the NFL.

Mr. Cynical
12-23-2004, 12:25 PM
Vick Hype - When will it end.

It won't because he is the real deal. He is erratic, but in reality he has only played 2.5 seasons due to injury. Therefore he relies on his athleticism still. Once he gets more experience I think he will be in the top 5 each year.

Michael82
12-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Vick Hype - When will it end.

It won't because he is the real deal. He is erratic, but in reality he has only played 2.5 seasons due to injury. Therefore he relies on his athleticism still. Once he gets more experience I think he will be in the top 5 each year.
I'm shocked! You criticize Bledsoe for getting sacked and making bad throws...well Vick is sacked the most this year and makes dumb throws. You should hate him. :shakeno:

The King
12-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Why am I not surprised. You criticize Bledsoe for getting sacked and making bad throws...well Vick is sacked the most this year and makes dumb throws.

If I could give you 50 reps for this I would

Mr. Cynical
12-23-2004, 01:03 PM
Why am I not surprised. You criticize Bledsoe for getting sacked and making bad throws...well Vick is sacked the most this year and makes dumb throws.
How long has Drew been in the league?

Exactly.

Vick gets more slack at this stage of his career.

The King
12-23-2004, 01:08 PM
How about when Vick throws for 4000 yards we can talk about it, or 20 TDS?

Mr. Cynical
12-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Vick is erratic. His passing numbers are modest at best but are bolstered by his rushing numbers. Still, as OpIv37 said, he does tend to make some poor decisions and has difficulty protecting the football. I think his decision making will only improve which will make him like McNabb in terms of athleticism AND the ability to direct an offense.
Exactly. He's hasn't even played TWO full seasons yet due to injury. Give him another full year and we'll see where he is at that point. It's not like he's had 11 years.

Mr. Cynical
12-23-2004, 01:11 PM
How about when Vick throws for 4000 yards we can talk about it, or 20 TDS?Ok, when he starts and plays a full season beyond this year.

The King
12-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Is he this good?

Vick signs for 10 years 100 million (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-falcons-vickscontract&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Mr. Cynical
12-23-2004, 01:20 PM
Is he this good?

Vick signs for 10 years 100 million (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-falcons-vickscontract&prov=ap&type=lgns)Was Bledsoe?

Signed 10 year, $103M contract

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/cannizzaro_mark/1282948.html

Who knows if Vick is worth it, but I'd take the chance.

The King
12-23-2004, 01:28 PM
How long have you had that article saved in your favorites? I dont see how you can support a team and hate the quarterback so passionately. And I am not questioning your loyalty to the team by anymeans but I just dont see how it can be fun to be a fan when everytime Drew drops back you think he is going to give the game away.

Forward_Lateral
12-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Ok, when he starts and plays a full season beyond this year.

That may never happen, the guy is plays so recklessly, he's bound to get injured again and again. I'd rather have a lot of QB's other than him. Vick is over-rated, always was, always will be. He has no accuracy, and can't stand still in the pocket. He's in the league for 5 more years, max.

Kenny
12-23-2004, 02:05 PM
The thing with Vick is his 'potential'... I know to many, the word means nothing, but I actually like Vick (though you'll never catch me saying he's a top tier QB... yet).

The guy has a cannon for an arm, and despite what some might say, he does have a pretty accurate throw. The problem with him is that he has poor judgement... he tends to force the ball way too much.

He's been in the league for what 3 years now (this being his 4th)? And of the previous 3 years, he became the starter 2 years ago, and last year was injured pretty much the entire season?
And then this year he's in a new system, with a new coach. Plus look at his surrounding weapons... Peerless Price? (I cant even name any other receivers). And a decent TE in Alge Crumpler. Plus a lackluster OL.

All Im saying is that it's too early to judge.... like it was too early to judge whether Big Mike was a bust at the start of the season.
Sure Vick might not be playing too great right now, and he tends to run out of the pocket and scramble like a chicken without a head, -but at least he's shown the flashes of brilliance from time to time. He's probably the leagues most dangerous player in terms of being able to break the big play and win the game at any given moment.

In terms of comparison, I'd still easily rank Vick as a top10 QB in this league. So all in all, I just think Vick needs more time to learn and develop. And if he can stay healthy, Im sure he'll live to the hype that surrounds his name.

Patrick76777
12-23-2004, 02:11 PM
My 2 cents. The guy isn't a great QB yet, but he's young. and the thing with Vick so far is that he wins, Ala Doug Flutie. When he plays, Atlanta wins. That's impressive.

Problem is, I think he'll be hurt more than he'll play. He'll get lit up trying to make a play and break more bones.

IMO!

helmetguy
12-23-2004, 03:15 PM
Jeff George had a phenomenal arm, too. 70 yards on a rope. The drawback was that he was never sure where it was going. Vick for $100 million? Anyone who doesn't think that is outrageous has been spending too much time in the Home Depot paint aisle with Arthur Blank.

Michael82
12-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Jeff George had a phenomenal arm, too. 70 yards on a rope. The drawback was that he was never sure where it was going. Vick for $100 million? Anyone who doesn't think that is outrageous has been spending too much time in the Home Depot paint aisle with Arthur Blank.
Good post. :bf1:

Mr. Cynical
12-23-2004, 05:52 PM
How long have you had that article saved in your favorites? I dont see how you can support a team and hate the quarterback so passionately. And I am not questioning your loyalty to the team by anymeans but I just dont see how it can be fun to be a fan when everytime Drew drops back you think he is going to give the game away.
Not at all long. I did a search and found that just after you posted. The only reason I posted it is to show you never know what you are going to get for $100M. I think it is safe to say Drew was not worth it. Was Favre? Manning? I think the answer is yes. Will Vick? Who knows, but again IMO it is worth a shot. They win with him, he is very young, he has not played 2 full seasons yet and has had lots of changes around him. If he hasn't improved in the next 2 years, then yeah, he wasn't worth it.

Supporting your team and not liking the QB are two completely different things. Was it any different with RJ/Flutie wars? No. If you are a fan you want the best people on the field to help your team win. I don't have a crystal ball, but in my heart I KNOW Drew will **** it up. He has done so too many times before. That's why I'm down on him because IMHO he will let us down when it counts.

And to answer your question about fun, you're right. It is not fun watching Drew drop back. However, I'm not able to delude myself that he has changed. If I could then sure, I'd be enjoying the wins alot more. Such as it is, I can't so yeah it's a bummer for me.

Mr. Cynical
12-23-2004, 05:52 PM
The thing with Vick is his 'potential'... I know to many, the word means nothing, but I actually like Vick (though you'll never catch me saying he's a top tier QB... yet).

The guy has a cannon for an arm, and despite what some might say, he does have a pretty accurate throw. The problem with him is that he has poor judgement... he tends to force the ball way too much.

He's been in the league for what 3 years now (this being his 4th)? And of the previous 3 years, he became the starter 2 years ago, and last year was injured pretty much the entire season?
And then this year he's in a new system, with a new coach. Plus look at his surrounding weapons... Peerless Price? (I cant even name any other receivers). And a decent TE in Alge Crumpler. Plus a lackluster OL.

All Im saying is that it's too early to judge.... like it was too early to judge whether Big Mike was a bust at the start of the season.
Sure Vick might not be playing too great right now, and he tends to run out of the pocket and scramble like a chicken without a head, -but at least he's shown the flashes of brilliance from time to time. He's probably the leagues most dangerous player in terms of being able to break the big play and win the game at any given moment.

In terms of comparison, I'd still easily rank Vick as a top10 QB in this league. So all in all, I just think Vick needs more time to learn and develop. And if he can stay healthy, Im sure he'll live to the hype that surrounds his name.
Exactly. :up:

Turf
12-23-2004, 09:04 PM
I have no problem with Vicks potential. But let's at least let him earn it.
With the right offensive CO he could use his skills. Kelly had Marchibroda and Levy.
The current system Vick has is not suited to his skill set.

RaginBuc
12-24-2004, 03:35 PM
In no way is Vick a good quarterback, but he still one hell of a football player. He's a playmaker, and makes the Defensive coordinators job a hell of a lot harder. Thats the best way I could describe Vick.

And his faults in the pocket and in the passing game are hardly his fault. Guys got a crappy core of recievers and a horrible offensive line. His work is definitely not cut out for him.

Did he deserve to go to the Pro Bowl? No

Did he deserve the 100 million dollar contract? No

Still doesn't change the fact that the Falcons would most likely have a losing record without him.

Needless to say, The Bucs are still his daddy.

helmetguy
12-24-2004, 03:59 PM
And his faults in the pocket and in the passing game are hardly his fault. Guys got a crappy core of recievers and a horrible offensive line. His work is definitely not cut out for him.

The same things were said about Bledsoe last year and they were called excuses. Funny how that works.

DraftBoy
12-24-2004, 04:05 PM

Are you seriously attempting to compare Jeff George to Micheal Vick? Your post loses all credibility on the 1st sentence. Hell Brett Farve and Petron Manning have great arms too, is it a fair comparison? Vick for 100 million, im willing to bet you havent taken a good look at that contract yet have you? Rich McKay was an absolute genious with this deal. 10 yr deal with the last being voidable, the contract is totally back loaded, so in other words while Peyton is making 14 million a year for the Colts the next two seasons, Vick will be making under 10. The contract is very open to restructing and very easy to do so.

Now onto the rest of you. I am by no means a Falcons fan but i believe it was MBB who was talking about taking Griese to the pro bowl over Vick, please put down the crack pipe. The Pro Bowl is not a stats game, it is about teams sending their best or MVP's. Vick allows for the Falcons to win, he is their running game, he has only 1 WR in TE Alge Crumpler, and the OL looks likes ours from last season. Those of you who do not watch him week in and week out will not think of him as a pro bowler. I can not think of another NFC QB more deserving this season. All this being said Vick still has to work on many many things. Holding the ball when running, not forcing passes, coverage reads, timing routes, blitz reads, ball velocity, and touch. Vick now more than ever only runs when its designed or the play is broken, very rarely will you just see him randomly take off and get out of the pocket.

Also Vick is a fanatic in the gym, he's always played like this and he's gonna get banged up but what happened last season was a freak injury. I think he'll easily play more than he sits out, with no question in my mind.

Lastly, is Vick worth this salary? Your damn right he was....think about the history of the team if you know it, and think about who they let go due to financial reasons....Favre,Deion....Two stars in this league so when the time came around again and they had another star they literally had no choice but to make him a life long Falcon.

RaginBuc
12-24-2004, 04:27 PM
The same things were said about Bledsoe last year and they were called excuses. Funny how that works.Of course I'll make excuses for the guy, as long as he plays it gives us a guarenteed win.

helmetguy
12-24-2004, 04:28 PM
Their arms? Seriously, yes. Scatter arms. Vick is a tailback that can throw some. When Vick learns to protect the ball and can throw a pass within the same ZIP code of his receivers consistently, he may be onto something. His line might have an easier time blocking for him if he wasn't so prone to bail out so often. It's the same complaint that O-linemen have had about Flutie. (And no, that was not a "comparison" of their skills, just their tendencies.)

DraftBoy
12-24-2004, 04:30 PM
Their arms? Seriously, yes. Scatter arms. Vick is a tailback that can throw some. When Vick learns to protect the ball and can throw a pass within the same ZIP code of his receivers consistently, he may be onto something. His line might have an easier time blocking for him if he wasn't so prone to bail out so often. It's the same complaint that O-linemen have had about Flutie. (And no, that was not a "comparison" of their skills, just their tendencies.)

How many falcons games have you caught this year, bc it doesnt appear as many. Vick rarely over throws his receivers on a consistent basis his problem is his velocity. Also less and less this season he has bailed out...So how many of his games have you caught? bc ive seen every one, and dont see any of the same things you are seeing.

Mr. Cynical
12-24-2004, 05:40 PM
How many falcons games have you caught this year, bc it doesnt appear as many. Vick rarely over throws his receivers on a consistent basis his problem is his velocity. Also less and less this season he has bailed out...So how many of his games have you caught? bc ive seen every one, and dont see any of the same things you are seeing.
Agreed.

Vick's completion percentage is 56%.
Bledsoe's completion percentage is 56%.

Funny how certain people jump all over Vick's accuracy yet defend Drew at the same time, saying "it's the drops", "the weather", "the oline", etc.

Mr. Cynical
12-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Are you seriously attempting to compare Jeff George to Micheal Vick? Your post loses all credibility on the 1st sentence.
I was about to say this but you beat me to it. :;

BlackJohn
12-25-2004, 12:36 AM
If you're only comparing passing stats, favre deserves to go but in reality he is the best player on the NFC's 2nd best team. I mean he could run for 1000 yds this year .... thats just sick, and he just makes plays to win games as shown by the teams record. But he can get a lot better as a passer, I think he's doing pretty good with what he's got but with his tools he could become pretty darn good .... And besides if he doesn't go I don't know how you send anyone outside of philly for the nfc