PDA

View Full Version : McGahee, not Brees, is league's best comeback story

The_Philster
12-26-2004, 08:06 AM
Willis McGahee deserves to be the NFL's Comeback Player of the Year.
The Buffalo Bills running back is going to have tough competition for the honor, which gets handed out by the Associated Press after a nationwide poll of writers in a couple of weeks.

San Diego Chargers quarterback Drew Brees is a worthy candidate.

Brees went 2-9 as a starter last season and ranked 28th in the NFL in passing efficiency. This year, he's 11-3 and ranks tied for third in passing efficiency....more (http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20041226/12065433.asp)
http://www.buffalonews.com/graphics/2004/12/26/1226innfl.jpg

FTG
12-26-2004, 08:18 AM
Two interesting notes later in the article

The Jaguars scored one of their gutsiest wins ever last Sunday on the frozen tundra of Green Bay, and they're led by one of the top young players in the game in Byron Leftwich . However, playoff fever isn't exactly rampant in Jacksonville. They started the week with 13,000 unsold tickets for today's game against Houston, and the game will be blacked out locally.

Those fans don't deserve the playoffs. Come on Texans

Steelers rest?

Said linebacker Larry Foote of New England's loss Monday night: "It put a little more pressure on us because we don't want to go to Buffalo and have to win there in the last game of the season, especially the way that team's playing. We definitely want to win this game at home." Said receiver Hines Ward: "This game is important. We win this game, we clinch home, we get the bye. Going to Buffalo, I'm pretty sure a lot of people won't play that game. If, for whatever reason, we don't win this game and we have to go to Buffalo, now you have two weeks where we have to go down and put at least one win together."

The_Philster
12-26-2004, 08:31 AM
I don't know how much I buy it coming from Ward. Heck, I wouldn't believe it coming from Cowher

Albany,n.y.
12-26-2004, 08:46 AM
What has Brees come back from? He's never done anything in the NFL before, so how can he be comeback player of the year? Since McGahee never played before this year I wouldn't consider him comeback player either. A more worthy candidate is Brian Greise, who was Denver's starter & then was cut by Denver, never did much in Miami & is now starting in Tampa Bay. If Warner had continued his early season play, he would have been a candidate as well. You have to have done something in the NFL and then had some hard times before you can win the comeback award.

FTG
12-26-2004, 08:53 AM
You have to have done something in the NFL and then had some hard times before you can win the comeback award.

That would disqualify Willis to then

Cntrygal
12-26-2004, 08:56 AM
What has Brees come back from? He's never done anything in the NFL before, so how can he be comeback player of the year? Since McGahee never played before this year I wouldn't consider him comeback player either. A more worthy candidate is Brian Greise, who was Denver's starter & then was cut by Denver, never did much in Miami & is now starting in Tampa Bay. If Warner had continued his early season play, he would have been a candidate as well. You have to have done something in the NFL and then had some hard times before you can win the comeback award.

I agree.