How would we have a tie-breaker over the Jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BAM
    • Sep 2003

How would we have a tie-breaker over the Jets?

If they lose and we win next week?

So we would hold the tie-breaker of "Common Opponents Played" against the Jets? (IF we win out and they lose out).

We both will end up with the same Division Record (3-3).

Their AFC record will be better than ours (theirs is 7-5 ours is 5-6 right now). Just curious... I've seen a lot of people saying we'd win by Conference Record but we cannot pass them...

• Devin
    The Octagon
    • Apr 2003

Kind of curious about this myself, ive not seen it mentioned anywhere else that the NYJ game has anything to do with us.
    http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• lordofgun
      in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
      • Jul 2002

one more time...

Two Clubs[/b]
      1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs).
      2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
      3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
      4. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
      5. Strength of victory.
      6. Strength of schedule.
      7. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
      8. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
      9. Best net points in common games.
      10. Best net points in all games.
      11. Best net touchdowns in all games.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• DarbyTheDinosaur
        • Dec 2004

KEEP THE FAITH!!!!

With same win-loss-tie record, we follow the following:

TO BREAK A TIE FOR THE WILD-CARD TEAM
        If it is necessary to break ties to determine the two Wild-Card clubs from each conference, the following steps will be taken.
        1. If the tied clubs are from the same division, apply division tie breaker.
        2. If the tied clubs are from different divisions, apply the following steps.
        Number 1. applies here, so...

TO BREAK A TIE WITHIN A DIVISION
        If, at the end of the regular season, two or more clubs in the same division finish with identical won-lost-tied percentages, the following steps will be taken until a champion is determined.

Two Clubs
        1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). SPLIT
        2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division. SPLIT
        3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games. AH HAH!

If we beat PIT and NYJ lose to STL, it falls to common games...

Cincy - Both BUF and NYJ win
        Miami - Both BUF and NYJ win (2x)
        SF - Both BUF and NYJ win
        Cleveland - Both BUF and NYJ win
        Seattle - Both BUF and NYJ win
        NE - Both BUF and NYJ lose (2x)
        Baltimore - Both BUF and NYJ lose
        Pittsburgh - BUF win, NYJ loss
        St. Louis - BUF win, NYJ loss

Buffalo - 8-3
        NYJ - 6-5

Buffalo grabs 6th seed....ah, too dream.
        You people are depressing me...try this out so my doctor can take me off my meds!!!

op·ti·mism

1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.the belief that goodness pervades reality.

Comment

• LarryBoy
          The world needs a hero!
          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by DarbyTheDinosaur

Buffalo grabs 6th seed....ah, too dream.

Thats why they play the game!
          Bills Rock!

Comment

• Iehoshua
            • Jan 2003

I too believe our chances are better for a Jet loss only because the Colts may indeed pull the starters...

Of course we have to do our part and beat Pitt's 2nd string!

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
              Maybe?
              • Oct 2003

If we follow "Within the division" rules, then we have the TB over the Jets in common games.

If we follow "wild card tie" then we lose since they have the better AFC record.

Not 100% sure which one applies though.

Comment

• LarryBoy
                The world needs a hero!
                • Apr 2003

So we wouldnt follow the wildcard, but the division in which we win.
                Bills Rock!

Comment

• BAM
                  • Sep 2003

OK cool I was worried there for a second. I am not sure why everyone was saying we'd have them by better Conference Record....

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                    Maybe?
                    • Oct 2003

Originally posted by LarryBoy

So we wouldnt follow the wildcard, but the division in which we win.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                      Dances With Buffaloes
                      • Sep 2002

if the Jets lose out, and the Broncos Win next week (plus the Bills win), you'll have three teams at 10-6.

In the NFL when you have a three way tie there are a few things they check for, the first thing is "are two teams in the same division?"

Since the Bills and Jets are in the same Division, the NFL tie breaker demands that a "better" division opponent be chosen, so as a result the Bills and Jets will face a division tie breaker before the broncos even enter the discussion.

In this case the division tie breaker is.

1) head to head (Tie, Bills and Jets both have a Win against each other)
                      2) division record (Tie, both teams are now 3-3 in the division)
                      3) common opponents (Bills)
                      4) conference record (Jets, however this is the 4th tie breaker, and means nothing since it won't get this far in the tiebreaker formula)
                      My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• ArcticWildMan

Sweet!! So either a Denver loss or a Jets loss and we're in (of course WE have to win as well).

Come on Rams or Indy!!!

Comment

• capitolneal
                          • Sep 2003

always enjoy reading your post very knowledgable
                          Originally posted by Ingtar33
                          if the Jets lose out, and the Broncos Win next week (plus the Bills win), you'll have three teams at 10-6.

In the NFL when you have a three way tie there are a few things they check for, the first thing is "are two teams in the same division?"

Since the Bills and Jets are in the same Division, the NFL tie breaker demands that a "better" division opponent be chosen, so as a result the Bills and Jets will face a division tie breaker before the broncos even enter the discussion.

4) conference record (Jets, however this is the 4th tie breaker, and means nothing since it won't get this far in the tiebreaker formula)

Comment

• Charlieguide
                            Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time
                            • Feb 2004

Can we go over this one more time in the same thread?

Let's go Buffalo!
                            The best is yet to come, and the rest is history. -- Oval Opus

Comment

• Cntrygal
                              Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33

OMG... I'm getting so confused. I thought after this weekend, it would all be simpler.

Originally posted by notacon
                              The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

Working...
                              X