PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh, Buffalo: Steelers playing to win Sunday

G. Host
12-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Now, despite two more injuries -- quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's sore ribs and cornerback Deshea Townsend's broken hand -- the Steelers promise there will be no letting up Sunday at Buffalo (9-6), even though they have little to gain by winning.

Coach Bill Cowher frequently has rested his regulars during meaningless late-season games in other seasons, but doesn't seem as inclined to do so now. That could be good news for the Broncos, Jets, Jaguars and Ravens, all of whom might need a Bills loss to get into the playoffs. more (ESPN) (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1954028)

Guess what? Neither are the Bills and any Bill who can participate, even the walking wounded, will be ready to put on pads and send Steelers home with 2nd loss of the season and more bruises to heal!

:gobills:

Crisis
12-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Good. Let's take it to them at their best, so the rest of the league knows what we're about.

GO BILLS!!

Gunzlingr
12-27-2004, 07:57 PM
Sportscenter said that Cowher said that he would not play anybody not at 100%. TJ mentioned that this late in the season that means no starters should see action. :idunno:

Typ0
12-27-2004, 07:57 PM
I hope they play with heart too...and we will hand it to them with holes in it to send them into the playoffs :D.

TigerJ
12-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Sometimes head coaches send mixed signals at this juncture. It's bad PR to say your team is not out to win a game, but if they rest guys who are a little nicked up, that can't help but affect the outcome of the game. What will be will be, I guess.

LABillsFan
12-27-2004, 09:59 PM
Did anyone hear what Don Criqui said in the fouth quarter about the Bills? He was talking about the Bills attitude and called it merciless and in reference to the 49er's, if you don't want to get blown out...get better. I think that's exactly how Cowher will approach the game. He may not play all the starters but he will make the Bills earn every yard and every point.

Tatonka
12-27-2004, 10:26 PM
i hope the steelers play their starters.. i want to kick the **** out of the steelers best players.. and we will go to pittsburg and own them in their house in the playoffs.

The King
12-27-2004, 11:54 PM
i hope the steelers play their starters.. i want to kick the **** out of the steelers best players.. and we will go to pittsburg and own them in their house in the playoffs.

YOU KNOW IT! We can beat the Steelers. I am so high on this team right now. We are fans of the most exciting team in football and our whole season comes down to sunday it just doesnt get any better than this.

tampabay25690
12-28-2004, 12:15 AM
I DONT THINK ANY TEAM IN THE NFL right now can beat Buffalo in the RALPH!!!!!!!!!!

The Predator
12-28-2004, 12:18 AM
The Steelers Must Be Defeated!!!!

GO BILLS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>04

EDS
12-28-2004, 08:03 AM
Meaningful football in January, gotta love it!

Pride
12-28-2004, 08:15 AM
HELL YEAH BABY!!!!!!

TheGhostofJimKelly
12-28-2004, 08:51 AM
That is great news, let's see what this team can really do against the best team in the league.

Wolffman
12-28-2004, 10:54 AM
Just because they are playing to win, doesn't mean they are gonna win. Of course Cower is going to say that, what else is he gonna say? "Well we're gonna fold and let the Bills beat us"? They'll rest thier stars, we should beat them.

Canadian'eh!
12-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Now, despite two more injuries -- quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's sore ribs and cornerback Deshea Townsend's broken hand -- the Steelers promise there will be no letting up Sunday at Buffalo (9-6), even though they have little to gain by winning.

Coach Bill Cowher frequently has rested his regulars during meaningless late-season games in other seasons, but doesn't seem as inclined to do so now. That could be good news for the Broncos, Jets, Jaguars and Ravens, all of whom might need a Bills loss to get into the playoffs. more (ESPN) (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1954028)

Guess what? Neither are the Bills and any Bill who can participate, even the walking wounded, will be ready to put on pads and send Steelers home with 2nd loss of the season and more bruises to heal!

:gobills:

This whole thing doesn'tmake a lot of sense to me. It hink a lot of it is just talk. I can't imagine we'll see much of Ward, Buress, Farrior, Polamalu, Staley or the Bus, if at all. The only reason this could happen is that Cowher has let his ego of beating his former co-workers get in the way. I don't care what he says about being on a roll, and injury means far far more than a win. If Cowher doesn't realize this then i just lost a load of respect for him.

Typ0
12-28-2004, 11:13 AM
If there starters are in there....when we get a lead they will be taken out. The last thing they want is for their starters to get it handed to them the week before the playoffs!

madness
12-28-2004, 11:46 AM
I really hope we beat the snot out of them, starters or not. I visited a few of their message boards just to get their take on the game and their record must be causing them to sniff propane. The Steelers have the most wise-@ss, $h!t-talking fans I've seen in a long time.

Granted, it doesn't help that there's Bills fans going to their boards and acting in typical "troll" fashion, but seriously...

Michael82
12-28-2004, 02:35 PM
IF Cowher plays his starters for more than a quarter or a half...it shows how pissed he is. all it would be is petty and childish. It would also prove that his ego is bigger than TDs and Cowher is only doing it to knock his former coach out of the playoffs and sacrificing his team. If he does do this...i hope the Bills beat the **** out of Pittsburgh and knock another 6-8 players out of the game with any injury like they have done almost every week. :snicker:

The King
12-28-2004, 02:39 PM
I never looked at it that way. Cowher has control over whether his former assistant makes it or not. Man there is so much fueling this game. And to think I was going to come up for the cards game. HA!

bills_7
12-28-2004, 02:40 PM
Im not worried at all about us winning for some reason im jst worried about everyone else... we will take the steelers.... im scared that indy wont come to play,,,, we need the rams to beat the jets

zone
12-28-2004, 05:27 PM
Im not worried at all about us winning for some reason im jst worried about everyone else... we will take the steelers.... im scared that indy wont come to play,,,, we need the rams to beat the jets
TD said the starters will play for Indy, do you realy think that Payton would go out there and play half assed, not a chance. You don't want to go into the playoffs on a loss.

As far as the Bills game, this is going to be HUGE can you imagine how awsome it will be at the game this Sunday? I CAN NOT WAIT!!!!! I hope we get to tear down the goal posts!

VegasDave
12-28-2004, 06:24 PM
Had season tickects in those Super Bowl years. Its going to be CRAZY at that stadium!!! Its really to bad we have to rely on other teams though. Buffalo will win by 10 points or more. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

Cntrygal
12-28-2004, 06:28 PM
Did anyone hear what Don Criqui said in the fouth quarter about the Bills? He was talking about the Bills attitude and called it merciless and in reference to the 49er's, if you don't want to get blown out...get better. I think that's exactly how Cowher will approach the game. He may not play all the starters but he will make the Bills earn every yard and every point.

GOOD. I don't want ANY of our guys feeling "sorry" and thinking that there should be a mercy rule. If we can score.... put the points on the board baby!

LABillsFan
12-28-2004, 08:38 PM
GOOD. I don't want ANY of our guys feeling "sorry" and thinking that there should be a mercy rule. If we can score.... put the points on the board baby!

I thought it was great what he said. It wasn't a passing comment either, it was like like he was saying, geez guys have you no mercy?

DaBills
12-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Bottom line is every game recently for the Bills has been looked at and played like a-must win. Pitt doesn't have to win to make the playoffs this week, no matter what their guys say.

That will be the mental let-down we take advantage of. We will come out pumped up, get off to a great start while Pitt comes out flat. Then we don't let up. Go ahead and run the 'Bus.' We have the 'bus-stop'.

Mr. Bettis, meet Mr. Spikes.

:shocked:

finsrclowns
12-28-2004, 09:42 PM
"The last thing you can do when you go into any football game is to diminish the importance of it," Cowher said. "Certainly you're going to keep the big picture in mind, but we're going to prepare this week as we always have, to go up there and win this football game."

Cowher said his plans for the game would not change even if another playoff berth were not dependent on the outcome.

"This is not about what we owe anybody. It's what we owe ourselves. This is how you play the game," he said. "We've got to play the game the way we know how to play the game. Those aren't things you can turn on and off, and if you think you can turn it on and off you're going to be mistaken and be led down a road that's going to be very disappointing."

I love it. He's saying they're going to bring their best. I say bring it on! We are going to rub their faces in the dirt. I cannot wait for this game. :clap:

TheBrownBear
12-28-2004, 11:17 PM
"The last thing you can do when you go into any football game is to diminish the importance of it," Cowher said. "Certainly you're going to keep the big picture in mind, but we're going to prepare this week as we always have, to go up there and win this football game."

Cowher said his plans for the game would not change even if another playoff berth were not dependent on the outcome.

"This is not about what we owe anybody. It's what we owe ourselves. This is how you play the game," he said. "We've got to play the game the way we know how to play the game. Those aren't things you can turn on and off, and if you think you can turn it on and off you're going to be mistaken and be led down a road that's going to be very disappointing."

I love it. He's saying they're going to bring their best. I say bring it on! We are going to rub their faces in the dirt. I cannot wait for this game. :clap:
It's all rhetoric. No way he plays his starters for more than a half. Bills will win this one easy. We need the Rams to pull a victory out of their butts because Indy will be playing the "resting" game as well.

SABURZFAN
12-30-2004, 06:20 PM
Had season tickects in those Super Bowl years. Its going to be CRAZY at that stadium!!! Its really to bad we have to rely on other teams though. Buffalo will win by 10 points or more. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!

welcome to The Zone,VegasDave.

McGaheehee
12-30-2004, 06:39 PM
The Latest from TSN is that Roethelesburger AND Bettis arent playing on Sunday...

Now seeing that the Bills are my #1 NFL team and the Steelers are my #2 Team, its a win-win when the Bills beat the Steelers. They make the playoffs, but the Steelers still have home throughout...

And when the Bills meet them in Pittsburgh, and beat them, itll still be alright!