• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shotgun
    stop smokeing for your own health
    • May 2004

Week 16 Judgements: Bills won't fold in finale

Week 16: Review | Judgements
    I don't know if the Buffalo Bills make the AFC playoffs, but I know they should. And they're in the right place at the right time to get there.

That would be next weekend ... in Buffalo ... against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't recommend playing the Steelers to anyone, especially a club trying to beat the crowd to the finish line.

Think the Steelers will enjoy running against the combined 640 pounds of Pat Williams and Sam Adams? Now that's a laugh. (Getty Images)
    But there is nothing normal about what's going on next weekend in Buffalo, and let me explain. Here's what I like about the Bills' situation:

1.) They're home, where they won their last five. A January game in frigid temperatures is as much an advantage to the Bills as it was to Minnesota when it played at The Met. Unfortunately for Buffalo, there is nothing frigid about next weekend's weather. The early forecast calls for temperatures in the 30s with a chance of rain.

2.) They're playing Pittsburgh. The Steelers clinched home-field advantage Sunday, which means they're in coast mode. A win means nothing to them; an injury could damage their Super Bowl chances. Look for coach Bill Cowher to run through the roster.

3.) Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger hurt his ribs Sunday. That's yet another reason for Cowher to feature the scrubs. Expect Roethlisberger to get the day off, with Tommy Maddox running the offense. The Steelers are undefeated with Roethlisberger; they're 1-1 with Maddox.

4.) The Bills aren't hot; they're burning down the house. The club that scored 51 points its first four games -- all of them losses -- averages 38 points over its last six games, all of them wins. In that span they outscored opponents 228-89, for a winning margin of 23 points a game, and never produced fewer than 33 in any start.

So let's hear it for Buffalo. Teams that make the playoffs generally have momentum, and the Bills lead this year's class. They won nine of their last 11. Teams that make the playoffs also run the ball effectively, and Buffalo hammered San Francisco for 226 yards on the ground Sunday. Playoff teams generally play solid defense, too, and that may be the most overlooked aspect to Buffalo's game. Entering Sunday, the Bills were fourth against the run, third against the pass and third overall.

And that was before they held San Francisco to 189 yards and one touchdown.

Yes, I like the Bills' chances next week. I like them a lot. And if they make the playoffs -- with some help from the Jets and Broncos -- you better put the AFC on alert. They're the club nobody wants to play now
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

you better put the AFC on alert. They're the club nobody wants to play now
      CHILLS BABY!!!!!!

Comment

• honey
        • Aug 2002

I'm VERY excited!!!!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIK5F4zRN0Y

Comment

• LABillsFan
          • Aug 2002

If Indy and the Jets lose and the Bills win, that means the Colts will play the Bills. If the Colts and the Jets win and the Bills lose, they'll have to play the Broncos in back to back weeks and it's hard to win 2 games back to back against the same team but would probably win anyhow. If the Colts win as well as the Jets and Bills, then they'll play the Jets. Probably the Best scenario for them.
          I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Cntrygal
            Visually stunning but camera-shy.
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by notacon
            The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• BAM
              • Sep 2003

Good read. Thanks!

Comment

• DarbyTheDinosaur
                • Dec 2004

Crunching numbers for fun...

Comparing the Steelers Defense to Bills Defense in common games
                (For games involving divisional opponents, meaning two games vs. one for Steelers,only best defensive performance was selected...and vice-versa)

In games against JAX, NYJ, NE, OAK, BAL, CLE, CIn and MIA:
                Steelers D - 263.8 total yards allowed per game
                Bills D - 231.4 total yards allowed per game

Steelers Pass D - 198 passing yards allowed per game
                Bills Pass D - 139 passing yards allowed per game

Steelers Run D - 66 rushing yards allowed per game
                Bills Run D - 92 rushing yards allowed per game

Turnovers Forced:
                Steelers D - 2.6/game
                Bills D - 1.6/game

Looks like McGahee could face some resistance, but the Bettis will as well...(assuming the Steelers put real bodies on the field)
                Evans and Moulds will need to be on point and Drew needs to be smart.

We can do it!
                You people are depressing me...try this out so my doctor can take me off my meds!!!

op·ti·mism

1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.the belief that goodness pervades reality.

Comment

• lordofgun
                  in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                  • Jul 2002

Link? Where was that from?

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• Wolffman
                    • Jul 2004

"The Bills aren't hot; they're burning down the house."

Haha, thats a great line.

Comment

• DarbyTheDinosaur
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by lordofgun
                      if you were asking me, there is no link.

I made it myself using data found on espn.com.

sorry about that.

Go Bills!
                      You people are depressing me...try this out so my doctor can take me off my meds!!!

op·ti·mism

1.a disposition or tendency to look on the more favorable side of events or conditions and to expect the most favorable outcome.

2.the belief that goodness pervades reality.

Comment

• Crisis
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by lordofgun
                        saw it on nfl.com yesterday.
                        Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                        Vanek is Austrian not European
                        Originally posted by Prov401
                        Pacquiao isn't asian. He's from the philippines
                        Originally posted by better days
                        I will not be surprised if Tebow has more success than Peyton in the NFL.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

I'm sooo damn excited about this weekend. I haven't felt this way in a while. I CAN'T WAIT!

Comment

Working...
                          X