PDA

View Full Version : Clements vs Villarial

trapezeus
12-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Not that I think either guy's jacksonville performance is the single thing to blame about our team's situation, but it seems a lot of board members here are adament that Nate Clements should bear the brunt of the blame. I am of the opinion that its a team game. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

I just find it interesting that its easiest to point the finger at Nate, but why not Chris Villarial? He took a holding call on a 3rd down run where McGahee was easily running out the clock. Why don't the same people point back to that play as being the play that could potentially break our season?

I'm not looking to be hostile, just wondering why the Clements error stands out so much clearer to people that the Villarial hold. Clements failed to do a very fundamental part of being a DB, but so did Villarial.

THATHURMANATOR
12-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Great point. Both are bad plays.

Philagape
12-28-2004, 09:09 AM
Probably because the play that beat Clements was such an extraordinary play, a 45-yard completion on fourth down. Holding penalties are pretty common on the OL.

Clements' play certainly wasn't the only potentially season-killing error. There's the failure to score from the 1-yard-line against Oakland, and the comedy of errors on the potential game-tying drive against New England.

Jan Reimers
12-28-2004, 09:22 AM
I agree that it's a team game, and we lost the Jags game and the other 3 to start the season as a team. There were enough botched plays, penalties, and other errors of omission and comission to go around.

Just like the Jags loss can't be blamed solely on Viiarrial or Clements, neither can our other losses be blamed strictly on Bledsoe, Henry, Wire, Reese or any other single player.

Nor can our success over the last 10 weeks be attributed solely to the return of Milloy, the emergence of McGahee, the development of Evans, the special teams play of McGee, the resurgence of Sam Adams, or the rejuvination of DB. They all just added one more piece to the puzzle.

tampabay25690
12-28-2004, 09:55 AM
WHy are we gonna go back and talk about that game. We all know if we won that game we wouldnt be in this situation, but we didnt..The Bills were not the team they are now, and I think we are all happy that we are where we are now....