PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap!!!

northernbillfan
12-29-2004, 04:08 AM
The lines were posted today and the Bills are 9 point favorites!!!!

The media can't stop talking about our beloved Bills.

To even have an outside chance at this point of the season is a blessing in and of itself. But to be declared the most dangerous team in football is the icing on the cake baby.

clumping platelets
12-29-2004, 05:43 AM
4 or 5 pts factored in because Big Ben, the Bus, Staley, and a few others are unlikely to play

mybills
12-29-2004, 05:44 AM
Do you think it was a coincidence that the Houston come back game was on ESPN at 5 am today? :snicker:

Jan Reimers
12-29-2004, 06:06 AM
I had Mike and the Mad Dog on TV the other day and Francessa was wondering how the odds makers could set a line for a game like the Bills-Steelers. He thought realistically that the line should favor the Bills by about 10 - and that they might beat the Steelers 30-0 - but wasn't sure if they would set the line to reflect that.

Apparently they did.

The King
12-29-2004, 06:20 AM
This is unbelievable. I am trying to not get engulfed in the hype though. Regardless of spreads we are facing a tough team on Sunday, we still have to play good football to beat Pittsburgh even their 2nd string.

Dozerdog
12-29-2004, 07:03 AM
The betting line has nothing to do with how much the oodsmakers think the margin of victory will be.

It has everything to do with "balancing the book"- getting people to wager equally on both teams.

If $10 million is wagered on the Bills, and only $5 million total is wagered on the Steelers, the oddsmakers will move the line up on the Bills (Maybe mke them 10 point favorites instead of 7). This encourages more people to bet the steelers.If all of a sudden you see an avalance of bets on the Steelers, you might see the line drop.

The goal is to get an equal amount bet on each team. They make their profits by grabbing 10% of the winnings. (Usually you have to risk $110 to win $100)

OpIv37
12-29-2004, 07:11 AM
Do you think it was a coincidence that the Houston come back game was on ESPN at 5 am today? :snicker:

why don't you people tell me these things sooner? I have Tivo, dammit!

I still have never seen the whole game- just the highlights.

Tatonka
12-29-2004, 08:04 AM
The betting line has nothing to do with how much the oodsmakers think the margin of victory will be.

It has everything to do with "balancing the book"- getting people to wager equally on both teams.

If $10 million is wagered on the Bills, and only $5 million total is wagered on the Steelers, the oddsmakers will move the line up on the Bills (Maybe mke them 10 point favorites instead of 7). This encourages more people to bet the steelers.If all of a sudden you see an avalance of bets on the Steelers, you might see the line drop.

The goal is to get an equal amount bet on each team. They make their profits by grabbing 10% of the winnings. (Usually you have to risk $110 to win $100)

great post. glad i didnt have to explain that again.

clumping platelets
12-29-2004, 08:51 AM

:dizzy:

jamze132
12-29-2004, 11:09 AM
So if I bet $110, then I get a chance to make $100? Man I would love to lose $10!!!!

JK :dance:

jamze132
12-29-2004, 11:10 AM
People should go to Vegas more often! Man, What a place!!Might I suggest New York, New York?

Jan Reimers
12-29-2004, 11:47 AM
So if I bet $110, then I get a chance to make $100? Man I would love to lose $10!!!!

JK :dance:
No, you get your $100 back, plus $10.

Mr. Cynical
12-29-2004, 12:45 PM
What happens if you make a bet on Monday when the line is -9 and then on Saturday the line is -12. Is your bet "locked" at the spread at the time you made it or is it the one at the time of the game (like horse racing)? I would hope the former otherwise why bet early.

Tatonka
12-29-2004, 01:02 PM
if you place a bet, your bet is locked in on the number you bet on.. so if you bet -9, then you got -9.. even if the other team loses their starting qb and rb during the week and the spread goes to -19...

the down side to that is that the team you bet on could have the same thing happen to them.. or the public bets up the other side, and now by sunday, instead of -9, the spread could be -5, which would obviously be more attractive.. the only thing you can do then is make a new bet.

Tatonka
12-29-2004, 01:04 PM
No, you get your $100 back, plus $10.

not sure if you were kidding, but..

bet 110 and win.. you get 210 back (your 110 you wagered + the 100 you won.)

lose and you get a worthless ticket stub that isnt worth anything.